Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New high up ...only 66 miles radio was playing fine, played one or two cd,s and now the radio does'nt work.I only get static , thought it must be the airiel connection, so back to VW.
They have ran a diagnostic and are totally stumped ,so a new radio has been ordered and being installed friday.

Still at least its not an engine fault or anything else . Other wise the car is perfect and giving me lots of smiles as i drive it around.

Just wondered if it was a common fault or had i just been unlucky?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Had the same problem...see my previous post! New radio hasn't solved it so booked in for 3 days to remove headlining and replace aerial front to rear....

·
Registered
176 Posts
And now here's another one.

Radio all working fine all channels. Then one day pressed presets for Radio 5 -- nothing. In fact nothing on any of the other AM frequencies, just static all around.

Booked in to VW, "sorry, we are unable to find the fault, we'll have to book it in for a longer time'

Car re-booked, loan car for 4 days. "Apologies, we couldn't find an answer but have fitted a new radio and all ok now"

Get into car drive home listening to Radio 5 for the first time.

Next day, tuned to Radio 2 for trip to work and -- well nothing.

Although Radio 2 is one of the strongest signals unable to hold the signal, and in fact unable to hear with any clarity many of the FM channels. Not an RDS fault either.

Car re-booked to VW. Initially, could not replicate problem. (the area of the VW dealer had a strong signal so no fault found). Advised dealer to take for a test drive.

Oh yes, fault now confirmed. Dealer now involving VW who are suggesting some sort of booster involving the rear glass. Unfortunately once again do not have part in UK and in fact it would seem it is an integral part of the rear screen. Will need to replace the whole thing.

We'll see what happens. Dealer incidentally has been fantastic throughout, having had a loan car now for 9/10 days.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Car returned today .....after 2 days, new radio now fitted.
Will take the car for a run and see if all is ok.

Thanks for the posts, will keep you updated.

Enjoy the sun (if you are luck enough) over the week end

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Radio now in place and working all ok

Strange thing is they have pup a new facia strip on ...which seems a better finish than my orginial

so all in all worth the effort

·
Registered
28 Posts
Grateful to know what it was they replaced as my dealer seems a bit stumped as they want the car for 3 days so they can strip the headlining and replace the entire aerial from front to rear. I'm sure they aren't aware of any aerial bits in the rear windscreen... With your help maybe I can educate them!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Sounds bizarre that they would need to replace the rear screen, can only think that it uses the heating element in the screen as part of the aerial? Seems a bit over the top, beestings have always been ok on their own and the up doesnt even have dab!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I worked for VAG years ago, when the Concert Radio system was employed as the main choice for both VolksWagen and Audi vehicles.

Back in the late nineties/early 2000's, I gave up on counting the level of stereo systems that were renewed, whether it be under warranty or not.

More than a decade on, it seems that the chosen choice of stereo system employed by VAG, still appears to be a chink in the armour of a vehicle manufacturer, who appear to get everything else right.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've now had the radio replaced which didn't fix the lack of reception but the replacement of the entire aerial loom from roof to radio has restored reception. A few years ago I had a similar problem with a Seat Ibiza where the roof mount failed (I think it contains an amplifier) so maybe the failure rate is acceptable to VAG balanced against the cost of the products. Irritating though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts