Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my Move Up in March 2012, I have done 6500 miles.

When I bought the car, I thought it was the best economical car around.

However I have had the following problems:

- would not start twice
- gear difficult to engage, especially reverse
- car very noisy, sounds like a diesel
- ices up inside
- mists up inside, will not clear

In general I find it poorly designed and missing basic features:
- no boot light
- cannot control passenger window from drivers side
- design makes it difficult to clean

The poor design isn't a massive problem but the problems I have had with it have made me hate the car. I understand it is a cheap car but I paid £10,250 and have ended up hating the car. It has been been in the garage for a total of 6 weeks.

VW handed it back to me and said nothing was wrong.

I emailed across videos and photos showing the extent of the mist and ice issues and then went in on a Saturday afternoon with a full showroom and spoke to the manager by the entrance. Eventually he agreed it was faulty and unacceptable.

I have just part exchanged the car for a polo. There is a £1,000 off the Polos at the moment and I got £9,250 for my car. So essentially a full refund on the car.

I wish I had never bought the Up, I understand not everyone has issues with the gears and engine noise but a lot of owners are complaining about them.

I had the choice of losing £3,000 if I didn't part ex or part ex for another VW car. The polo is a larger car, less economical and higher tax but I felt I had to cut my losses with the Up.

My post is simply to inform people considering buying an Up just think twice before buying the Up. For those of you with genuine problems with your Up, do not let VW fob you off. Record the problems, demand to speak to managers and email everything so you have proof.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I think there has been some quite widespread problems especially with early up!s. My gearbox is fine in the forward gears but sometimes does not want to go into reverse and takes two attempts. Enginenoisehas never been an issues for me though.

Never had anissueswith icing or misting up, I reckon you had a very small leak somewhere as that seemed to be another issue with the front windscreen not fitting properly.

Does sound like you have had a pup and in your shoes I would not want another and the Polo is a decent little car slightly posher interior as well. Polo Match I had for a weekend was a nice car to drive. I hope it does work out a better car for you, at least you got your money back for the up!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine mists up inside and doesn't clear easily, really dangerous on motorway as it suddenly fogs up and can't change lanes as can't see through windows and it takes ages to clear. The condensation in the morning is ridiculous too. Had parking sensors fitted wish I hadn't 3rd time they have looked at them still faulty. I have had the car 2.5 months and have had to go back to VW about 5 times and still they haven't fixed problems.

VW have had my car two days this week to tell me that they can't find a problem with it, really find customer service lacking at VW. No one calls you you have to chase them, really disappointed with buying a new car from VW never again wish I'd gone for the Mii or CItigo so disappointed with VW being fobbed off by them and car still not working ;o( Paid £12000 for my Up really urge anyone considering buying one not to as if there is a fault VW won't fix it go for a different brand.

·
Registered
523 Posts
This is the problem with forums, I understand you guys have had grief - but there are many owners having no issues, and i for one would recomend the car.

If you want an issue sorting quickly have a word with vw finance and hold all payments till the car is sorted... You would be surprised how quickly things get sorted! Also, not happy with you dealer - find another one to have a look at the car.

The first poster talks about the car sounding like a diesel... Did you not test drive the car??
My test drive showed me everything about the car I needed to know.

·
Registered
705 Posts
That is not VW's fault. It is the fault of the particular dealer. Some are better than others.

Nick

·
Registered
5 Posts
I paid for the car in cash so I can't do that. VW took my money readily but don't want to find a solution to any problems I am having.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hi Lucy, have you tried another dealer yet? Reason I ask is - I had a faulty alarm unit on my previous MINI, my dealer who had supplied the car had it in six times without it being fixed, new parts each time too. I found another dealer and they fixed it first time. Turns out the previous dealer had damaged another part of the car causing the issue the first time round.

Also I know someone who works at Customer services at VW and they said to pester them, they will hound the dealer for you.

Best of luck

·
Registered
261 Posts
probably a daft question Lucy... did you have the aircon running when this misting occurred?FYI I always have the aircon on winter for this very reason - air con isnt just for summer imo

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I would like to stick my oar in or the opposite camp and just make clear I think it's a fantastic little car. I understand it's built to a price, but it still exceeds my expectations.
Boot light - easily sorted.
Noisy?! Did you not realise it was a 3 pot motor?!
Design makes it difficult to clean?! Clutching at straws!
The service IS NOT a VW thing, it must be your dealer.
I would certainly urge people to buy one, and would certainly part with my cash a second time for one, in fact, I've my eyes set on a GT when they become available.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Edited by: PeterWestSussex

·
Registered
397 Posts
Bob Up said:
probably a daft question Lucy... did you have the aircon running when this misting occurred?FYI I always have the aircon on in the winter for this very reason - air con isn't just for summer imo
<div ="msg"="">

<t></t><t></t>And another possibly daft question, Lucy! Are you happy on how to work the aircon? There's lots of guidance out there but I
find HonestJohn (and his team of advisers) the best all round source of
help.
For example here's his answer to the sort of comments (and confusion and misunderstanding) on this Forum about
when/how to use aircon. Also, note the explanation on how to SHUT IT OFF at the end of a
journey -
"With a standard manually controlled a/c system you should leave the
a/c on all the time, even if not using it to cool the car. You should
also turn the temp control to max COLD for ten minutes once a week ""“ even
through the winter, if you can ""“ in order to circulate refrigerant which
contains lubricants for the system and its seals.
Then turn temp control to max HEAT through the same pipes to thoroughly dry them out. This gets rid of
any moisture in the ventilation trunking where mould and bacteria might
be accumulating."
(.... and it helps prevent misting up when first starting next morning).

[/QUOTE]

Edited by: PeterWestSussex

·
Registered
811 Posts
I agree with Dave here. There will always be a small number of rogue cars and dealers around but there seem to be many more happy Uppers than unhappy ones on here. I have a very early Take Up and a newer High Up and have had no real trouble with either. The High Up initially suffered misting but it turned out I was setting the ventilation incorrectly and it has been fine since. If these posts put you off, I think you will be very pleasantly surprised if you drive an Up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I love the car just not loving the after sales. Jardine Motors so yes it is a dealer problem their customer service is awful. I think the misting may be a common problem though quite a few posts on this forum........

It seems a bit silly that when I turn the car on the A/C doesn't come on automatically if I am supposed to have it on the whole time. I have been leaving the aircon on with the blower on maximum 4 but when I have three people in car still mists up. Only with Up that I have encountered this before not with other cars to me it seems like a fault.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Great info from PeterW - fully concur and didn't know the tip about turning it on to full heat after running on max cold - learn summat every day on this forum - cheers Pete :)

Shame about yr dealer Lucy - is there another VW outlet nearby cos Im sure VW warranty is not limited to the selling dealer? ( Forum peeps know any different??? )
From what you are saying it sounds like a serious lack of refrigerant within the unit. Basically in order to condition the incoming air, the unit will have to do one or more of the following:- Heat it, Cool it, Dehumidify it, Humidify it or Mix it - with insufficient gas then all that can be achieved (with the switch in warm position) is heating up the incoming air which will exacerbate the moisture from your breath/wet clothes etc & which condenses on the cold windows.
Suggest going to an independent A/C outlet for a check up to confirm & second opinion then you can go do battle with yr dealer :)
Let us know how it pans out :) We're rootin' for ya! :)

<div ="_" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; width: 0px; height: 0px; : ; top: 0px; left: 0px; font-family: arial, 'helvetica neue', helvetica, Trebuchet, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; line-height: 19px; text-align: left; white-space: nowrap; : 1; "><div ="ie_fix" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; ">

·
Registered
957 Posts
Black Up said:
I purchased my Move Up in March 2012, I have done 6500 miles.

When I bought the car, I thought it was the best economical car around.

However I have had the following problems:

- would not start twice
- gear difficult to engage, especially reverse
- car very noisy, sounds like a diesel
- ices up inside
- mists up inside, will not clear

In general I find it poorly designed and missing basic features:
- no boot light
- cannot control passenger window from drivers side
- design makes it difficult to clean

The poor design isn't a massive problem but the problems I have had with it have made me hate the car. I understand it is a cheap car but I paid £10,250 and have ended up hating the car. It has been been in the garage for a total of 6 weeks.

VW handed it back to me and said nothing was wrong.

I emailed across videos and photos showing the extent of the mist and ice issues and then went in on a Saturday afternoon with a full showroom and spoke to the manager by the entrance. Eventually he agreed it was faulty and unacceptable.

I have just part exchanged the car for a polo. There is a £1,000 off the Polos at the moment and I got £9,250 for my car. So essentially a full refund on the car.

I wish I had never bought the Up, I understand not everyone has issues with the gears and engine noise but a lot of owners are complaining about them.

I had the choice of losing £3,000 if I didn't part ex or part ex for another VW car. The polo is a larger car, less economical and higher tax but I felt I had to cut my losses with the Up.

My post is simply to inform people considering buying an Up just think twice before buying the Up. For those of you with genuine problems with your Up, do not let VW fob you off. Record the problems, demand to speak to managers and email everything so you have proof.
What do you think of your Polo ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just an update, after 2 days told they couldn't find a problem I have told them there is one so they are looking into it again. VW Milton Keynes still have my car 8 days later. I was told on Thursday to stop calling them for an update and blocking the phone lines they would call me today Tuesday with an update still haven't received a call yet....

They tell me that the last car that had condensation problems was with them for three weeks before they discovered what the problem was. New car and unable to drive it.

Definitely recommend buying car on finance not outright I have no bargaining tool with VW now, will chase them again tomorrow and then will have to try another dealer.

·
Registered
179 Posts
That sounds awful! You are dealing with a bunch of idiots. Tell you to stop bothering them?! Don't call you back? Say it took them three weeks to sort a similar problem - and now it takes at least eight days to sort the same thing on yours? You have to find another VW dealer, Lucy and get a proper opinion and remedy.

·
Registered
540 Posts
You can always tweet VW UK directly. Their feed is full of people who have complained about various cars and they seem to react pretty quickly to avoid bad publicity.

As others have stated, its not a VW issue rather the dealer. Ensure that they are getting it both barrels from both you and VW and I'm sure they'll get their asses in gear pronto.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It is not that easy to start the AC during winter time. We have had several degrees delow zero (Celsius) for months now. The AC don´t start when it is that cold outside. I just can´t believe the misting problems some of you got.
I never had any problems. I keep the fan button on number one and never had any kind of misting problems. Hopefully I never get those problems..

·
Registered
15 Posts
my dear chap -faulty up- how can you say such a thing. these are not faults but little quirks associated with this model, which is quite normal, now please go away, so that I can sell another one to some unsuspecting sucker.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts