Up Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Getting closer to ordering an up! so have a few questions for owners before i take the plunge.

1) Speaker Pack - how are the original 2 speakers? While i don't expect it to match the Bose in my Audi i would like respectable sound that isn't tinny. The speaker pack is just two extra speakers, how does this improve the sound, is there more base, or simply extra standard speakers at the back?

2) Sat Nav - I already have a Garmin Sat Nav that i am very happy with, my budget leaves no room for optional extras. I would like to know what is the dash like without the Sat Nav option? Is there still an ugly mounting hole left on the dash?

3) Seats - i've seen some seats with the word up! on the seat... is this in all seat options? I really don't like it.

4) Engines - I think i've answered this myself with my research but may as well ask here, many reviews say there is little to no difference in real world driving between the 60 and 75 engines, is this the case in your experience? My driving is a 40:60 mix of B-Roads and Motorway.

5) Interior - I have decided on the white up! however am torn between he dash colour, i'm leaning towards the black, has anyone gone for the white and are you happy with it compared to the black?

I think thats it for now, really appreciate any replies, helps a lot.

·
Registered
361 Posts
venusinfurs said:
Hi,

Getting closer to ordering an up! so have a few questions for owners before i take the plunge.

1) Speaker Pack - how are the original 2 speakers? While i don't expect it to match the Bose in my Audi i would like respectable sound that isn't tinny. The speaker pack is just two extra speakers, how does this improve the sound, is there more base, or simply extra standard speakers at the back?

2) Sat Nav - I already have a Garmin Sat Nav that i am very happy with, my budget leaves no room for optional extras. I would like to know what is the dash like without the Sat Nav option? Is there still an ugly mounting hole left on the dash?

3) Seats - i've seen some seats with the word up! on the seat... is this in all seat options? I really don't like it.

4) Engines - I think i've answered this myself with my research but may as well ask here, many reviews say there is little to no difference in real world driving between the 60 and 75 engines, is this the case in your experience? My driving is a 40:60 mix of B-Roads and Motorway.

5) Interior - I have decided on the white up! however am torn between he dash colour, i'm leaning towards the black, has anyone gone for the white and are you happy with it compared to the black?

1) Don't know really cos' I have the sound pack but it's six speakers not four.

2) If you don't choose the Maps and More option, there shouldn't be a hole. If you do, there is a cover to plug in hole, if you don't want to use it, so in both circumstances, there is no ugly hole.

3) Seats with up! logo are used only in up! White and up! Black special versions. Don't know if you can order these separately?

4) Many have said that it really doesn't matter, you get some extra boost over 4500 rpm with 75 engine.

5) Are you talking up! White special model or ordinary white up!? If the first, then you cannot select dash colour, it will be white, and I like it very much!

-eelis-

Edited by: -eelis-

·
Registered
109 Posts
venusinfurs said:
Hi,

Hi , heres my experience with my candy white move up.
1. I find the two speakers acceptable but not as good as id like. Why have only two speakers with a lovely dab radio?.
I find them quite bassy and have adjusted max treble and bass on 25% which gives a more normal sound. The headunit definatly outclasses the dual cones in the doors.
2. No it looks ok. Just a smooth section where it would go.
3. No up! Wording on seats, just a nice pattern.
4. Only driven a 60ps and thats perfect for around town and b roads. Shoots up hills and keeps with traffic flow.
5. I have acandy white up! With shiny black dash is lovely. Has a tiny sparkle in it. Id say good combo. Think if you had a colour the novelty would wear. But people with a colour dash will love it so its a personal choice ;-)

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Ok, my take ( we have 2 up whites)

Soundpack- essential for two reasons, way better sound and wiring ready for upgrading .....I upgraded the two fronts to proper co-axials and kept the Soundpack tweeters......result = great sound indeed

Seats....up logo looks cool but if I was buying again I'd have gone for leatherlook seats

Dash....gloss white on mine is brilliant but having seen cornsilk, I don't like the Matt finish....get a glossy dash if possible

M&M. Worth having as it does so much more than nav....in fact I often use the nav on my phone and have the m&m on trip comp setting or mp3 playback. If not having m&m , dash will look fine.

Engine...mine only had 75bhp option but cannot fault it....50,000 miles and hasn't missed a beat , Mrs privatedoc has done 30,000 and again perfect since new!

Welcome to the up forum.....you HAVE made the right choice !

Edited by: Privatedoc

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I am VERY happy with my up! and there is no extra I would like to miss ...
I have 6 speakers (but not the Fender Sytem with 8 speakers), Drive Pack, M&M +++
I had no "money problem" at all and was free to choose what ever I want ...

If I was short of money (and with my knowlidge of today) I might buy a Skoda or Seat to get the extras for the same money as a not so well equipped up! ...
For me, the 6 speakers and the M&M are a Must. You get them with other names for a Mii or CitiGo. M&M is much more than just a navi because motor data are shown or you can put in a 32GB microSD card with 5000 own songs ...

Do you live in the UK???
Essential question because the high up! has 75 BHP while the move up! has 60 BHP in your country. And you have speed restrictions on the motorways ...
I have a (German) 60 BHP high up! and driving on German motorways is no problem. If you earn your money with bank robberies, the up! is the wrong car. For people who drive 60-80 mph it is a suiting car ...

"up!" is only on letherette and was on the "Cheer up!" (don't know if it was sold in the UK).
My high up! with Salsa red/beige seats has no logo. Move up!, Groove up!, Take up!, Rock up!, Cup up! have no logos as standard ...

I chose a black high up! with a red dash and I haven't stopped smiling every day I enter the car or drive (for three month now). The best colour I have had in 32 years of driving! Think I would choose a black dash for a white up! - but that's a matter of taste ...

·
Registered
33 Posts
The "Up!" Wording is on the pleather seats, front and back, and was on the original black and white special editions. As long as you don't spec the leather look then you'll avoid the cheesy wording on seats.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Oops, sorry just noticed Cadfael had already answered that pretty comprehensively above!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a white UP! with a black, high gloss dash, which contrasts quite nicely.

If I'd had the time to wait for a custom built UP! I probably would have chosen an UP! with a white dash, since it looked rather smart.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Welcome to the forum, you seem to have answers to your questions, I thought I would add my thoughts on the engine choice.My 75bhp runs well and I was looking forward to trying the other engine to compare them and when I had my car serviced luckily the loan UP was a 60bhp.

There is not that much difference around town in my opinion and because of the higher gearing it seems to be quieter on the motorway. I would not have a problem if my next Up was a 60bhp.

The 75bhp does have a higher top speed ( not that I ever get there ) and it does accelerate a bit quicker but not so you would notice.

Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone...

Decided to add the speakers, especially as it is just £100 extra.

Going for the black dash.

Torn with the Maps and More, if I don't add now I may come to regret it...

If you don't add floor mats as an extra do you really get nothing? Surely basic car mats are not an extra? Should be part of any car.

A couple of more questions having looked properly at the options...

Are the mud flaps worth it?

Is the leather steering wheel worth it? How is the original wheel?

The problem I have, like others before me is that adding lots of extras closes the gap to the High Up (which I really can't afford) and has virtually no impact on resale value years down the line.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NickInSurrey said:
If you shop around or go through a company like Drivethedeal, you may be able to save enough to pay for the extras you like.

Nick
Thanks but my budget already takes Drive the Deal into account

·
Registered
33 Posts
We have the leather steering wheel, it's ok but the normal wheel is sized/sculpted exactly the same. Are you going to say "**** I wish I'd gone for the leather" every time you drive? The same with the M&M. If the Up is going to be your main family/household car then def go for it, if only for the Bluetooth capability. But if it's going to be a second car runaround then do you really need sat nav, leather, etc. It sounds to me like the High Up would really give you everything that you're asking about but I appreciate the price jump from Move Up. How about a used High Up? Pick up a nearly new or ex demo car and pay Move Up price.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
That's not bad advice. Just seen a 14 plate high up with TEN miles on the clock for under £10k on Autotrader. Good if you live near Aylesbury.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Also timing is pretty good for used Ups at the moment. Folk who purchased Ups in Sep '12 on 2yr PCP deals will be returning them to dealership this Sep in order to upgrade etc. Ask your local VW dealer to search their database, they'll know how many Ups may be coming back in. Get in there before they go back on the forecourt or off to auction.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Beevee said:
That's not bad advice. Just seen a 14 plate high up with TEN miles on the clock for under £10k on Autotrader. Good if you live near Aylesbury.
That's a possibility...

Have there been any improvements since 2012 with the manufacturing of the up!? I read somewhere earlier some models had issues?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Welcome to the world of Up.
Have High Up which we got last November. 15,500 miles to date. Only problem was back brakes stuck on when car parked overnight - ended up with new back brake linings. Overall consumption in the high 50s on mixture of motorway and country roads. Have piano black dash which is great but does show the dust. Probably the best built car I have had out of 14 I have owned over the years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts