Up Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I bought my Up I thought about buying a Panda. However, based on reviews in the press and a test drive, I decided the Up was the car for me. Had the Panda 4x4 been available at the time though, it may have been a different story...

http://tinyurl.com/8edj9su

The Autoexpress article above says that the 4x4 Panda will make its debut at the Paris Motor show next month.

·
Registered
532 Posts
My other car is useless in the snow. two years I have been snowed in for more than a day. If I ever get rid of my posh rear wheel drive car I might go for a panda.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I just don't like the looks of the new Panda. It's too over-styled, with those love or loathe squircles, and a mass of creases in the bonnet. Although, looking at it again, the 4x4 appears to be the best-looking of the bunch. I was keen on the first Panda 4x4, and then the styling changed dramatically for the second-generation. That was the handsomest of the Pandas, but the 4x4 never came with what I wanted then, a diesel engine. And it was painfully slow.

The main thing that put me off another Fiat (Tipo, Cinquecento, Seicento) was the poor quality of the dealers in my current area - Peterborough, Corby and Grantham. I had a good Fiat dealer when I was living near Shrewsbury - Waverley Garage, which became TJ Vickers. But a good Fiat dealer is a rare thing.

Nick

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The old version of the Fiat Panda 4x4 had a really strong 'fan base', if I can describe car owners as such.

I think if the new version was fitted with winter tyres, you could go almost anywhere in it. A small and light 4x4 is certainly more appealing than some of these 4x4 leviathans you see on the roads these days.

Edited by: Dan

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Collas said:
The main thing that put me off another Fiat (Tipo, Cinquecento, Seicento) was the poor quality of the dealers in my current area - Peterborough, Corby and Grantham. I had a good Fiat dealer when I was living near Shrewsbury - Waverley Garage, which became TJ Vickers. But a good Fiat dealer is a rare thing.

Nick

I agree, Fiat dealerships have a lot of work to do as far as customer service goes. My local dealership was absolutely abysmal in this respect - they took your money and all customer care vanished like mist at sunrise.

·
Registered
532 Posts
We were lucky in Kendal, the fiat dealers were a local family business and they had a really good mechanic.

I eventually bought a tempra estate off them. it was great after a Vw passat as the handling was Ok. The engine looked great,but it was a bit constricted by the cat. the passat engine was lovely. (5 cylinder). Turned it over in a field, oops.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
ducatikid said:
My other car is useless in the snow. two years I have been snowed in for more than a day. If I ever get rid of my posh rear wheel drive car I might go for a panda.
When I had a Ford Ka (teapot model), I would hurtle round snow bound roads, past posh Mercs, Beemers and the like that could not get traction. It used to amuse me, given that my car was a pile of poop and not a German uber-barge. The only hard part was getting started when snowed in, oh and having 4x4 owners kindly/smugly say "Would you like a tow?" in the knowledge that most of the year they are an object of hatred.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
I also thought long and hard re 4X4 panda but the dealers here are all Arnold Clark...cartel Known for 5hite service. I think the new one looks great but reckon the quality will be a good bit behind the up.

what we really need is an up Cross

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I do like that, but it's a bit butch

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
But you could add hibiscus tattoos !

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Yes to the inside! Not sure what one would look like on the outside though

·
Registered
44 Posts
Put a set of all weather tyres (or even better, winter tyres) on an Up! and it will go most places in the snow, I think.

·
Registered
532 Posts
It seems that Vw have at last got a car that they are prepared to suggest that customisation is a good idea.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts