Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew my up! was on it's way. Build week was 37, and the dealership had kinda promised me that I would definitely have the car before October 1st.When ordering the up!, I tried to trade-in my '99 Peugeot 106, but the Volkswagen dealer wouldn't give enough for it. So I decided to try and put it up for sale on my own. Which I did on Sunday the 30th of September at 2:30 in the morning, not knowing how long it would take to sell it, or if it was possible at all. Well, some 14 hours later the old Peugeot was gone, and I got a good deal more than the dealership had offered.
Downside was that I at that point still didn't know when the up! would arrive. Fortunately I could borrow the outlaw's (in-law's) car, and I was only scheduled to work Monday through Wednesday last week anyway.

And last Wednesday I had a call from the dealership; my new up! had arrived. Oh joy, oh happiness! Still, I would have to wait until Friday to pick up the car, since it was to have an anti-corrosion treatment (I don't know the correct English term for it).

Friday I picked up the car. I've put around 400 km. on it over the weekend. And driving the car is just a dream. Everything just works, and it works like a charm. I just love it!

Below, I have posted a couple of pictures for you all to enjoy.
Oh BTW, to the story goes that the dealership already fitted the steelies/winter tyres on the car. So Saturday morning I changed them back to the black 16" Triangle alloys. I just had to see how it looked.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Looks Great!
Im trying to sort out some wheels for my up at the mo and keep the steels as winter wheels!

Could you confirm the tyre sizes on those alloys. Are they as the VW website say 185/50/16 ??

They fit the arches just great!

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Looks great , as does the 1966 Cessna Sky-hawk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the kind words, people. Greatly appreciated!

@dibles: Yes, the tyres are 185/50R16. Factory equipped Bridgestone Turanza ER300. The steelies came with Continental ContiWinterContact (could be TS 850's, but not sure). That both sets of tyres are pretty good brands, is for me just another proof that VW pays attention to quality.

@Doc: Pics are taken at a tiny airfield where I used to work. The few planes at the airfield are mostly small ones like the Cessna, but there is also an old Chipmunk, in original RDAF livery, silver with orange.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
And behind it, a Robinson 'bubble of death'. Lol! I used to fly round rigs in the North Sea as a visiting medical inspector in a previous life, thankfully it was in bell jet rangers and Sikorsky S61s . I wouldn't let any living thing ascend in a Robinson!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Privatedoc said:
And behind it, a Robinson 'bubble of death'. Lol! I used to fly round rigs in the North Sea as a visiting medical inspector in a previous life, thankfully it was in bell jet rangers and Sikorsky S61s . I wouldn't let any living thing ascend in a Robinson!

Love the 'Sports
pack' wheels looks great as a 5 door in black.

DOC, I take it you
missed getting the S-61 on 12th July 1988 that decided to land in the sea opps.

I have flown a chipmunk, a nice little plane to fly.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Did avoid that one but was involved in piper. Was an a/e doc in Aberdeen then....awful stuff!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Piper was awful, thankfully the worst I have ever had to deal with is a few car crashes.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
jezyg said:
Piper was awful, thankfully the worst I have ever had to deal with is a few car crashes.

Nothing like a good car smash to make you realise the importance of seatbelts, no phones, etc etc ...and a solid wee car like the UP!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Privatedoc said:
jezyg said:

Nothing like a good car smash to make you realise the importance of seatbelts, no phones, etc etc ...and a solid wee car like the UP!

Agree totally, just seeing someone on the backseat of a car not wearing a seatbelt being thrown through the front windscreen at 60mph during a crash. Makes you realise how important seat belts are!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts