Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Collected my UP GTI today from the local dealer. It looked amazing in Bright Red with the Black Roof. I checked the car all round and unfortunately i spotted two small stone chips on the bonnet only the size of pin heads and another couple on the N/S door that you could hardly see. The staff asked if it would be ok to send me some touch up paint,so i said ok. Do you think i did rite? The car is not brand new its 9 months old even though it looks brand new. You can only see the stone chips when you are very close to the car.

I took it for a test drive and i was amazed once again. The acceleration is like a rocket ship after driving a slow diesel for the past few years. I did notice the car runs on when you lift off the gas as has been said on here, so you need to use the brakes more. I went over a couple bumps in the road and i thought the ride was fine.

I went back to the dealer and asked him to check the tyres. I decided to try the comfort setting as printed on the sticker of 35 front 32 rear. After the salesman had checked them he told me the front N/S was 37 and the front O/S was 31 The rears were 36 and 34.

Then it was the painful part. Having to pay for the car!! The drive home was great. There is nothing like the first drive home in a new car.The engine is so quiet and i think the ride is nice and smooth. The steering is very light and the brakes are really powerful.

I scrolled through the MFD and everything is on thank goodness. The only feature that did not seem to work was the auto door locking/Anti highjack option.

All i need now is a space saver spare wheel. i am going to get the 14" one for £30. The car has been serviced before delivery and it came with a full tank of fuel.

I am very happy with the car and i did a great deal.Lets hope we have some nice sunny weather to enjoy the car even more.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Great, you won't be disappointed !
Good colour, and all we need now is to see some pics, congratulations !
By the way, I, and a good few others on here run our tyres at 30 / 28, or 30 / 30psi. The ride is much better, there are no wear problems, and the tyre grips better.
The ridiculously high pressures VW recommend are to keep mpg up and emissions down. I have still averaged 54 mpg since getting the car new 12 months ago, and 10000 miles.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Congrats on the new motor are you going to
change your name now to “GTi Owner”? 🙂 On the throttle running-on (and initial lag) and the light steering, both of these can be easily improved on the driveway with a Carista dongle (£24.99 on Amazon). Just done myself recently I’d say it’s worthwhile. Defo try some lower pressures as above.
And yes far better to touch up the stone chips yourself - the shape of the front is prone to them but you’ll make a much better job than your typical dealer would (pre-mix mix the lacquer and paint on some card, use a very fine artist’s brush, single application, job done!)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Hi Test Driver
Lucky you, nice to have a new toy, GTI is top of the pick (they tell me) 😉👌
Stone chips are a good call, I have a few even after driving like my mum for the first couple of weeks, now I rip it up, drive to enjoy, 273 miles in the rain today......
Drive away central locking is a pdi setting, your dealer can plug the car in and turn the function on or off , should be free of charge !

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the messages guys. I would post pics 911ts3 if i knew how to on here. I will try 30/38 or 30/30 in the tyres when i get round to it. At the moment it seems ok as it is.
Groove Up I am going to keep my name. t sounds more like a Test Pilot!! I like the light steering and the running on is not a problem. I thought the touch up paint would be in a stick with the brush attached,but i could be wrong. I have heard some say its best to use a matchstick to just dab the paint on very lightly. Infact the chips are so small it could be best to leave it. I am sure it has not gone down to metal as white is showing which i think is the undercoat,so it wont rust.
North London Mike Yes i guess all cars get stone chips. I will have to pop in to a VW Main dealer to get the auto locking done or perhaps a VW independent if they can do it.
When the dealer sent me a video of the car as well as showing me all the features and a walk round,of the car,he showed me the USB cable in a plastic bag and he put it on the small shelf in front of the gear lever. I thought i bet that will go missing leaving it there and sure enough it had gone missing. I thought of everything when i collected the car but i forgot all about the USB cable until i got home. I emailed the dealer,so i hope he will post another one to me.
Does anyone know how much they cost in case i end up having to buy my own and do i have to ask for a certain type of cable in the shop?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi - touch up comes as a brush on a stick but never use it to apply the paint! I have a really fine brush for that but a match stick might be a good trick. I am sure the dealer will send you a USB cable, no problem.

·
Registered
48 Posts
As above, a cocktail stick is best for minor touch ups, just take your time and be conservative in how much paint you pick up on the end of the stick. If done carefully and once dry followed with 6000grit and a polish it can be made to look virtually unnoticeable.

Good luck

·
Registered
692 Posts
Thanks for the messages guys. I would post pics 911ts3 if i knew how to on here. I will try 30/38 or 30/30 in the tyres when i get round to it.
Just to correct your (I hope) typo , the pressures to try are 30 / 28psi, not 30 / 38.....

·
Registered
378 Posts
Thanks for the messages guys. I would post pics 911ts3 if i knew how to on here.
Hi TD
Here you go, ABC, the third screen will open in your photo files, navigate to where you photo is kept (my photos etc) Click on the one you want and it will appear here MAGIC !!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes indeed it was a typo 911ts3. 30/28 not 30/38. Mind you i would be nervous thinking i hope the tyre does not come off the wheel with such a small amount of air in them.
I will try the cocktail stick Wellfan and Jcb when i get round to it.Thanks for that.
Groove Up the dealer has not answered my email sent yesterday. It could be the usual story.Once they have been paid they are not interested. Of course he could have many customers to deal with. If i knew the correct cable to buy and it was a reasonable cost i would just buy it myself.
Thanks for the info North London Mike. I will try later if it ever stops raining.

·
Registered
569 Posts
As above, a cocktail stick is best for minor touch ups, just take your time and be conservative in how much paint you pick up on the end of the stick. If done carefully and once dry followed with 6000grit and a polish it can be made to look virtually unnoticeable.

Good luck
Cocktail stick, you must be posher than me. I still call them tooth picks. Haha.

·
Registered
692 Posts
That's not a small amount of air ! The recommended pressures by VW is a ridiculous amount of air ! As explained before, they only state those high pressures to keep the emissions down, it's only very minute difference, but as the Gti struggled to get inside the new emissions target, every little bit counted.
Two examples :-
My classic Alfa's both run 24psi front, 26 rear,
The wife's Up Tsi recommends 33 / 29. this is a 2018 car on 16" wheels.
I've been running 30 / 28 on three Up's (plus the wife's Tsi) over the last 6 years now, and probably 50'000 miles, my car at least is driven vigorously, and there have been no issues, no problems with uneven wear, no detriments whatsoever. Much better ride quality, much better grip.
You have no need to worry. You'll be amazed at the difference.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have not driven the car since driving it home from the dealer as it has not stopped raining all day and i want to keep it clean until tomorrow (Saturday) when my friend is coming round to see it. I know it sounds like the guy who bought a new umbrella but did not want to get it wet.
I will be driving it over the week end so i will try 30/28 and see how it feels.Thanks 911ts3.

Can someone tell me which USB cable i need? I have been on some electrical shop sites and there seems to be loads of different cables. I think i am correct that the car has the same type of USB socket as a computer,for connecting printers to the computer for example,so i guess the other end just needs to be the correct type for the Smart phone,but the cables all seem to have different power outputs or speeds.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I'll see if I can find mine and take photos.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Here you go, this is mine. you want one like this, but with the small end to fit your make of phone. This one is to fit my Samsung Galaxy, so if you have the same phone, just ask the VW dealer for the part number on the packet, if not, tell them which phone you have, or send them a pic of your phone's socket.
Don't buy one. I forgot to pick mine up when I collected the car, and just rang them and they posted one out. "Big" end is just the standard USB connector.

Attachments

Reactions: Carlos

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank You so much for that 911ts3 I will give the part number to the dealer. Mind you,as i said, when they sent the video of the car to me,they showed the cable in a plastic bag to the camera,so i do not know if it was the same as yours. It has gone missing somewhere on the journey from Glasgow to Manchester.
I have sent two emails to the dealer over the past couple of days and both have been ignored. I am going to send an email to the Manager today to see what he can do about it.
Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had a nice drive out today in my UP GTI just to give the car a run. I went on the motorway and turned on the cruise control. It is the first time i have used cruise control in any car and i am impressed. I came back through local roads with plenty of stop and start traffic.
I find all the controls so easy to operate,gears,clutch steering all superb. The ride is excellent. I do not know why people complain about the ride.
My average fuel consumption was 60 MPG. Amazing. I got loads of looks on the roadside as well,or maybe it was the car they were looking at not me!!
I am very impressed with the car and will take it for a longer run to Blackpool next week as well as the local run to the supermarket.
Recently I had been using the bus more than driving my last car,but the UP GTI has made me want to drive more again. I love the car.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Glad you're happy. Knew you wouldn't be disappointed ! Now if you think the ride is ok, drop the tyre pressures to 30 / 28 or 30 / 30. Then you'll see it's much better.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I will try the lower pressures next week. I want to buy an air compressor.I think Ring are good.
I see some of you used to own or own today classic cars. Years ago i had an MGB the last of the chrome bumper model and a TR6 the 150 BHP model. Also a Spitfire 1500 and a Rover Mini.
Today i would like an MG MIdget 1500 1980 model but i have seen some silly prices for these cars.
I go to classic car shows in Blackpool and Burnley,but this year they have all been cancelled.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts