Up Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi having trouble engaging first gear while stopped at an idle adjusted shifter linkages problem still persists any thoughts?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Some times i have trouble selecting 1st and reverse gear, happens rarely though, and have had the same problem in the past with a polo.
I find releasing handbrake sometimes helps and so does moving gear into,second and then back into first.
If all else fails sometimes i just drive off in second gear which actually works,quite well

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Its as simple as engaging the clutch when in neutral and then attempting toenter 1st/reverse again. Sometimes the syncros don't 'quite' line up correctly to allow a smooth selection in the gear box. Doing the above will sort it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
shakotanVIP said:
Its as simple as engaging the clutch when in neutral and then attempting toenter 1st/reverse again. Sometimes the syncros don't 'quite' line up correctly to allow a smooth selection in the gear box. Doing the above will sort it.

Yep, this always fixes it for me on the odd occasion that mine can't get into 1st/reverse. I've had this on all my VAG cars (2 Golfs, 2 Fabias and the Up).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Getting my car into 1st gear after it has been sitting for 2-3 days is impossible. It has been back into the dealer who said it can be tight when the car is cold and that this is known on the UP!. Tight isn't the word, it is so difficult. It is due back into the dealer in two weeks to be looked at again. I fear will never be able to sell this car on with this problem...

·
Registered
957 Posts
VW Up Driver said:
Getting my car into 1st gear after it has been sitting for 2-3 days is impossible. It has been back into the dealer who said it can be tight when the car is cold and that this is known on the UP!. Tight isn't the word, it is so difficult. It is due back into the dealer in two weeks to be looked at again. I fear will never be able to sell this car on with this problem...

I reverse off my drive and like you if the car has not been used for a couple of days I know it will crunch when I put it in gear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts