Up Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my new Dark Blue High Up! today and drove it home from the dealer for 2 hours. Got a £1000 pounddiscount through drive the deal (which was all highly efficient), and free insurance for a year through VW + the £250 3yr service pack so should be very cheap to run.Here are my first impressionsand a few questions.

The Good:
Looks really smart.
Drives very nicely - especially is fun on smaller roads between 0-50mph. On the motorway it was

fine at 70-80mph but as expected a bit noisier than a bigger more expensive car, so you wouldn't
want to use it at those speeds for long periods or that often.

The not so good:
Vibrates a lot at idle. I know it is a 3 cylinder but it does seem to vibrate a bit excessively when at
idle - i.e. when stopped in traffic jams or when first starting.
Doesn't seem to make any difference whether theengine is warm or not. The vibration goes right
through my body which is a bit unpleasant. As soon as it starts moving thevibration mainlydisappears.
Seeing as this is a city car it is supposed to spend quite a lot of time in start/stop traffic & so I
am a bit surprised by this and wish I had asked the dealer. So, question is whether this is normal
or should I get it checked by a dealer? Maybe theidlespeed is set too low, although seems to be at about
1000rpm which is normal for other cars I've driven. Any advise welcome. Will this improve with
time? Anyone got the their vibrations reduced by a trip to the dealer?

The gloss dash causes weird reflections when driving in daylight. Do you get used to this? It is certainly ratheroff putting and I hadn't really noticed it in the test drive. I went for a white dash (as I test drove an Up White and liked it). Not 100%
sure that was a good decision now as although it looks good and brightens up the cabin it does
rather stand out when you are driving in daylight (i.e. your eyes are drawn to it which wouldn't
be the case with a darker dash). I guess I'll get used to it though. I do think VW should offer
some matt dash options in High Up! spec as gloss is probably not sensible really.

As expected the radio is a bit poor compared to bigger cars. It just sounds a bit tinny (even with the
sound pack), and is abit difficult to hear on the motorway. At lower speeds it is OK.
The CD player sounds fineat lower speeds. I got the DAB radio option. The DAB channels sound slightly worse than theequivalent FM ones. Not a big problem as I'll probably only use DAB for talk channels such
as BBC R5 that aren't on FM.

On the M&M I can't work out what the 'Think Blue' circular graphics mean. The dealer couldn't
really understand it either. Exactly how it helps you drive more efficiently is a bit of a mystery.

I've already got caught out leaving the parcel shelf up! I guess you also get used to this!

Anyway I am looking forward to getting used to the car more. Will post some pics when I get
a chance and it stops raining.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Happy New Up!

Alan_M said:
Vibrates a lot at idle.
Alan_M said:
So, question is whether this is normal or should I get it checked by a dealer? Maybe theidlespeed is set too low, although seems to be at about 1000rpm which is normal for other cars I've driven.
My (also Night Blue High) <mytubeelement =""bundle":"label_delimitor":":","percentage":"%","smart_buffer":"Smart Buffer","start_playing_when_buffered":"Start playing when buffered","":"","desktop_notification":"Desktop Notification","continuation_on_next_line":"-","loop":"Loop","only_notify":"Only Notify","estimated_time":"Estimated Time","global_preferences":"Global Preferences","no_notification_suped_on_your_browser":"No notification style suped on your browser version","video_buffered":"Video Buffered","buffered":"Buffered","hyphen":"-","buffered_message":"The video has been buffered as requested and is ready to play.","not_suped":"Not Suped","on":"On","off":"Off","click_to_enable_for__site":"Click to enable for site","desktop_notification_denied":"You have denied permission for desktop notification for site","notification_status_delimitor":";","error":"Error","adblock_interferance_message":"Adblock or similar extension is known to interfere with SmartVideo. Please add to adblock whitelist.","calculating":"Calculating","waiting":"Waiting","will_start_buffering_when_initialized":"Will start buffering when initialized","will_start_playing_when_initialized":"Will start playing when initialized","completed":"Completed","buffering_stalled":"Buffering is stalled. Will stop.","stopped":"Stopped","hr":"Hr","min":"Min","sec":"Sec","any_moment":"Any Moment","popup_donate_to":"Donate to","extension_id":null,"prefs":"desktopNotification":true,"Notification":true,"logLevel":0,"enable":true,"loop":false,"hidePopup":true,"autoPlay":false,"autoBuffer":true,"autoPlayOnBuffer":true,"autoPlayOnBufferPercentage":42,"autoPlayOnSmartBuffer":true,"quality":"large","fshd":false,"onlyNotification":true,"enableFullScreen":true,"saveBandwidth":true,"hideAnnotations":false,"turnOffPagedBuffering":true" ="preferencesUpdated" id="myTubeRelayElementToPage"></mytubeelement><mytubeelement =""loadBundle":true" ="relayPrefs" id="myTubeRelayElementToTab"></mytubeelement>up! doesn't and has never vibrated at idle or any speed.

Mine also idles at 1000 rpm.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I've occasionally felt vibration at idle but this usually goes away when the engine is warm. In fact, sometimes idle is so quiet and smooth that i have a job telling whether or not the engine is on. I have the gloss black dashboard. Like you i didn't consider either the reflections or the dust when i ordered it. I have an upgrade up on order and i've specified the silver dash to deal with these issues. I'm hoping it turns out to be matt - not gloss.

·
Registered
251 Posts
AlanG said:
sometimes idle is so quiet and smooth that i have a job telling whether or not the engine is on.

+1 Vibrations so strong that you can feel them resonating in your body is not normal. I have zero vibrations and virtually zero noise at, say, the traffic lights.

Gloss dash is a no-no in my book: reflections, as you say, plus dust and fingerprints to deal with.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Never had any problems with vibration in my car Alan_M. The problems with the black gloss dash have been spoken about for over a year and to me it was obvious there would be an issue. I have the silver dash AlanG and it is fine I am sure you will be happy with it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have no problems with reflections on the piano black dash. Does attract fingerprints - but fortunately rarely have kids in the front. However first thing 36 year old son did was cover it in prints.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My up! Black has done over 16,000 miles now and it has never vibrated to the extent you describe. Particularly considering the imbalance of a 3 cylinder engine, it is incredibly smooth and quiet at tickover (around 850rpm when warm), certainly no worse than a 4 cylinder, diesel or petrol. It's not as smooth when cold, but still not uncomfortably so.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I picked up mine 3 weeks ago and I have to say the only thing that I don't like is the excessive vibration at idle.

I think I will ring my dealer to get them to have a look at it as it definitely doesn't seem right.

·
Registered
20 Posts
FYI, before I bought mine, I drove 4; one 65PS and 3 75PS. They had varying levels of vibration but stayed pretty constant whether cold or warm.

One was very uncomfortable as the vibration went through my entire body, literally shaking me. A shame since this one felt the 'quickest' and sounded the best under acceleration! I asked the VW dealer about it but they were clueless and just offered another one to drive.

Two were 'normal' I would say and the last (65PS) was less, but still noticeable at idle.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Makes you wonder if balancing a 3 cylinder engine is not an exact science. My move up is pretty smooth. I'll be gutted if my high up due in March has this shake as i plan to keep this one for years.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Day 2 Update:

Only had time for about 10 minutes in the car around town today. It drove really nicely - in many better to drive and almost as nippy as my Mk4 Golf GTI which is high praise!

The vibration at idle seemed a bit less today although I didn't spend any time in traffic jams so maybe just didn't notice it as much as yesterday. I did do a bit more testing and am becoming more convinced that is related to the idle rpm setting which today seemed to be hovering around 750 rpm. If I revved the engine a tiny bit when in idle the vibrations disappear, so if I could get the idle setting tweaked a tiny bit higher it would probably be ok - although might use more fuel.

Finally, I also managed to drive off with the parcel shelf up again!! Surely this is the worst bit of design in the car or else I am just very forgetful.
Anyone found a good DIY solution for bringing it down with the boot as every other car probably does?

·
Registered
851 Posts
There are various threads about attaching parcel shelf strings. From memory, i think someone successfully used Nissan parts - perhaps for a Micra - but i could be wrong. Another person drove around with some sort of stick in the car to prod it back down whilst driving - although I can't see that being a very safe manoeuvre! I found that after forgetting to drop the parcel shelf 3 or 4 times, it became so annoying, that I began to always remember to drop it. I haven't accidentally left it up for over a year now.Edited by: AlanG

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi Alan. parcel shelf. I found on this site a member who was selling very good self stick sign with Down brightly printed on it, these fit under the shelf . since buying I have not left it up once. have a look on this site. think they were about a quid each.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just to note that I contacted the dealer I purchased my High Up! from and askedwhat can be done about the 'idle vibration' problem.

They responded (not exactly helpfully) that their 'Master Technician' says that the Up's idle
rev setting can not be adjusted (can this be true?) and that some Ups vibrate at idle.
They said maybe it will improve with time!

Having said all that we are more than pleased with the car - even with a bit of vibration at
idle. It is otherwise excellent, so much so that it is causing a bit of friction as to who gets
to drive it every day (instead of our Mk4 Golf GTI). Am particularly loving the heated seats in this weather - if only the steering wheelwas heated as well...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts