Up Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently collected my 60ps white Move Up!, traded in my much loved Fiat 500 1.3mj.

Obviously, Fiat had lots more design flair than the Up! It's an Italian thing, but the quality level surprised me. And nothing went wrong!

The Up! has obvious pedigree - the badge says it all - and the ride is surprisingly smooth, not the harsh Germanic ride expected. It seems very roomy and the mpg figures seem promising - 55+ but with only 250 miles gone, its early days....

Some surprises though. No wheel arch liners to protect the underside. Omitted for weight or economy reasons? Mind you, it will make future diy access quicker and easier.....

The awful 215 radio system. Does it have AF? Can't seem to find it on the menu and the stations don't seem to switch. Coupled to an awful pair of door mounted speakers, it doesn't do the car justice. Is it a poor radio, poor speakers or both? Not brave enough to follow Stainless in swapping out speakers!

Also surprised at lack of built in trip computer. Luckily, I have pid, but otherwise..... Mind you, the pid does suggest changing up a tad early, especially as I am "running in" a new engine. What have other owners done here?

But a big plus for this forum! Joined the VW forum, but having discovered this site, I already notice a wider variety of Up! posts.

Oh, and hello everybody!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi. Welcome to the forum you will be very pleased with your choice of the vw up. hope
you have miles and miles of happy motoring Regards phill.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hi snes,

thank you for sharing your impressions!

This forum really is great!

Well; I think my high up! has a kind of "Italian style" (see photos, following link in signature).

Yes, the up! is a German car - proved by extras you have to buy (and in Germany it is even worse because we have to pay for every UK standard). Being a VW owner for 32 years I knew that you have to have the speaker upgrade pack (6 speakers) for good sound. The 2 speakers standard is poor sounding indeed.

With Drive Pack and M&M you have the trip computer and many data shown ...

My (German) high up! has 60 BHP too and it is enough for me ...
Your white up! shows the great up! design much better than my black up!.

My up! shows about 55 but really needs about 50 mpg. As far as I have heard it is about 10% too optimistic. You can do real 55 mpg or even better. Depends on your routes ...

Oh, and welcome!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Cadfael - I agree, your Up! looks gorgeous, especially the inside!

Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Cadfael

Haven't taken the camera to the car yet - it seems such a standard model, I wasn't sure it was worth it, but might try, so I can post on here. It has a black dash with a greyish cloth interior which is, I believe, standard for the Move Up! in the UK. It also has steel wheels, which strangely I prefer.

I didn't get too involved in the "speccing" process, my Up! was a dealer pre-register model, but my impression (wrongly?) was that the Up! generally had little variety in this area compared to, say, the Fiat 500.

Which makes your car even more impressive. I've just caught a glimpse of your interior - the red and white really work!

How easy was it for you to customise your car at the order stage?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts