Up Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my first service, peter cooper in hedge end.

The car now struggles to reach 50mpg and a tank of fuel that used to do 400 miles now does 355!

I said they have use the wrong grade oil, this from 30 years motorsport experience i no makes engines less efficient.

All they say is it meets vw specs!!!

not happy, any one else had any problems

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
VW spec oil is a lot of tosh, they will just be quoting the sae numbers.......hopefully they can tell you EXACTLY what oil they have used .....sorry to hear this, my dealer knew I was an awkward bugger so used fully synthetic stuff!

·
Registered
198 Posts
My car also felt different after first service & replaced oil, so far I thought I was just imagining it
Mine feels as it now has a bit more power while sounding a bit more smooth, but also seems to use a bit more fuel... I'll know for sure after a couple more days of use.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the courtesy car i had last week was new and felt sluggish, so i was expecting to feel mine as free as it was when i got it back.... but it feels like the new car again!! but with rubbish fueleconomy.

o well going back in next week

·
Registered
198 Posts
Update... oil definitely affects how the engine sounds and feels. It seems I was lucky though, with new oil my engine just sounds subjectively better (deeper, smoother, less rattly), while fuel consumption remained the same. Today I even managed to break my record on a familiar fuel-consumption-friendly bunch of roads with just 3.6 l/100km.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts