Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As there was just under half a tank of fuel in the up! when I collected it, it's taken me about a week to get to the petrol station. Notice that the fuel gauge begins to shift in the last quarter. It took about 32.87 litres to fill up and am now going to see how many miles the BlueMotion engine can squeeze out of that...How are people finding the MPG against what was advertised?
Still running mine in, of course, so am driving ultra conservatively at the moment.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I'm getting about 60mpg without being especially obedient to the gear change suggestions, and I drive fairly fast on motorways. They quote 68.9 mpg combined in the brochure but I think that to achieve it you would need to mainly change up at 1500rpm and keep revs down to 2500 most of the time on the open road. I did make one motorway trip at 60mph but if you do that you end up getting tailgated by vast trucks and when there were no trucks I found it hard to stop my speed creeping up, not having cruise control. So now I relax and have fun. Even if you drive as fast as you can its still an incredibly economical car.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I can usually get 60 mpg (according to the car's trip computer) out and about the north eastconurbationin our 75ps BM hi Up.

My other car's a Lexus CT200 hybrid - a Prius in Lexus clothing - and the Up!s fuel economy is significantly better

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would be very happy with 60 mpg to be honest as that will give me in the region of 420 miles on a tank. Am having to drive it sensibly at the moment as have only clocked up 130 miles so far.. the wait to get over 1000 miles is killing me
I take it, then, that the up! demonstrates the old VW trait where the petrol needle moves very slowly until it reaches half a tank and then seems to accelerate towards empty?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I'm getting 400 miles per tank when I'm not being concerned with my driving style and 420 when I'm being a bit more careful

·
Registered
217 Posts
silentbazz said:
Would be very happy with 60 mpg to be honest as that will give me in the region of 420 miles on a tank. Am having to drive it sensibly at the moment as have only clocked up 130 miles so far.. the wait to get over 1000 miles is killing me
I take it, then, that the up! demonstrates the old VW trait where the petrol needle moves very slowly until it reaches half a tank and then seems to accelerate towards empty?

Hi,

you are correct with the needle. For me it stays at full approx a 100 miles and then starts dropping. The lower it goes the faster it drops. I've noticed that most reliable is to check the "miles left until fill-up" if you have the computer/cruise control.

I have the BMT Move up 60bhp too, depending very much on the driving style some days I might get 55mpg, dome days almost 70mpg. Counting the old fashioned way I did 410 miles and then filled up around 33 litres. The fuel economy does also seem to quite drastically drop for every increased mph after 60mph.

My dealer said when I picked my Up up that do not worry about the 1000 miles many say as the modern cars engines are built with laser preciseness and do not require slow starts. But as many got is so badly drilled into their heads that this is the way to go, I must admit I did it too. You should have seen me accelerate like a turtle from roundabouts.

The engine will be very tight at first (which I really noticed with accelerations being uneven and generally), but started getting looser after around 1500 miles. I've done now 3000 miles with mine and it just feels that much better than at the start.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
217 Posts
To add to my previous one, I'd say if I really focused and pushed I could probably do 460-470 miles with a tank. Doesn't help that on my weekend drives the road i go has 23 big double laned roundabouts on a 32 mile journey!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ZillUp said:
silentbazz said:
you are correct with the needle. For me it stays at full approx a 100 miles and then starts dropping. The lower it goes the faster it drops. I've noticed that most reliable is to check the "miles left until fill-up" if you have the computer/cruise control.

This seems to be a VW standard thing, happened with my old Golf and the Polo I had beforehand, I can only imagine that all VW fuel tanks are cone shaped!!

ZillUp said:
My dealer said when I picked my Up up that do not worry about the 1000 miles many say as the modern cars engines are built with laser preciseness and do not require slow starts. But as many got is so badly drilled into their heads that this is the way to go, I must admit I did it too. You should have seen me accelerate like a turtle from roundabouts.

I've heard both, some people have said "modern engines don't need running in" but I have also heard that treating the engine gently for the first 1000 miles can extend it's life. I am erring on the side of caution for the time being.. and have just stopped braking for roundabouts!!

ZillUp said:
The engine will be very tight at first (which I really noticed with accelerations being uneven and generally), but started getting looser after around 1500 miles. I've done now 3000 miles with mine and it just feels that much better than at the start.
Enjoy!

Am only doing about 120 miles a week, so it's going to take a wee while until I can have some serious fun with the up! Saying that am loving the way it corners, there seems to be a noticeable lack of "roll" that was present in my old Golf. And it is a fun motor to drive, even if I am currently proceeding with caution!!!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Running a car in is easy. on't slog it, gentle for a good few miles, increasing revs and top speed. Give it an occasional blast.

Fiat uno 45S 999 cc new to 205,000 miles with no major components and one clutch.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Just checked our first full tank to empty consumption = 43.2mpg

·
Registered
214 Posts
So far the best we are getting on a combined cycle is 46miles to the gallon and this is not from the navigon thing this is working out how much miles covered when filling up etc. I expected somewhat better but maybe that is me being daft.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I did a sightly longer drive to work last night and was a bit disappointed to find the the 1.2 60ps Polo only managed an average of 41 mpg. My 2 litre TSi 211ps Leon manages 39mpg the same route!! I hope the Up! being lighter and being a 1 litre engine manages 45-49mpg on the run. I will find out next Friday night... Problem with the Polo was it eats fuel getting up to speed and keeping with the traffic flow on faster A roads even with a light foot.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I've been getting 57 mpg on my regular commute to work, which is mainly A roads but with a short stretch on the motorway. This is not a Maps & More figure but calculated via the 'brim to brim method'. Also, I was not driving with economy in mind, so I'm sure this figure could be bettered if folks concentrate.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well it's taken a few weeks, but today was the day for a second trip to the petrol station.
Using brim-to-brim calculations, I have worked out that I got 348 miles from 31.16 litres (roughly 6.85 gallons) which equates to 50.80 mpg.
Quite pleased as am still running the car in (only 470 miles on the clock) and my daily commute is short, and involves no dual carriageway or motorway driving, mainly A roads and B roads.
Going to treat my up! to a wax to say thanks ;)

·
Registered
523 Posts
The road trip app on iPhone is good. You log your petrol receipts and it does all the calculations.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Have mine 6 weeks still not refilled since original visit to the garage 385 miles on the clock I shall forget how refill the little darling

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Supermegamonkee said:
The road trip app on iPhone is good. You log your petrol receipts and it does all the calculations.

D'uh, I didn't even think of the fact that there may be an app for making mpg calculations easier.
Thanks for the suggestion!

If there are any Android users out there (like me), the Google app store has an app called Mileage that does the same thing by the looks of it!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Well, first time I went to put petrol in my UP! since i picked it up on the 10th. I'm quite happy with the results. 407 miles with a full tank. That's promising knowing that it gets better with time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts