Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hi Billy
Welcome to the forum, photo would be nice
Mod's : LED bulbs, wheels and or tyres, audio, all depends on what you want to do with the car..................

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi Billy
Welcome to the forum, photo would be nice
Mod's : LED bulbs, wheels and or tyres, audio, all depends on what you want to do with the car..................
Here is a picture, I have to fix a few things first,

im not looking to spend a lot but just want to improve its looks/performance as the alloys are awful:)

I’m really considering alloy change and bulb change for sure

the fuel cap door came off and I still have it but not sure how to reattached

also the rear wiper motor doesn’t work I could remove the whole system

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
Unless you are moving to Arizona, leave the rear wiper if you want to see out of the rear when it rains. If it's not working, my money is on it being the fuse or corroded connectors/earth straps. Should be easy to trace.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unless you are moving to Arizona, leave the rear wiper if you want to see out of the rear when it rains. If it's not working, my money is on it being the fuse or corroded connectors/earth straps. Should be easy to trace.
I think I’d rather keep it!
Could I diagnose that myself ,

·
Registered
319 Posts
I think I’d rather keep it!
Could I diagnose that myself ,
Sensible. In the US, they get rid of door handles too, if you watch Fast n Loud, which is even nuttier than getting rid of wipers....

First-pass diagnosis is not too hard. Look up the manual (or somewhere here will tell you) where the rear wiper fuse lives. Pull it out and check it. Replace if necessary (but always have another fuse of the same value at hand, should the first one blow again!). Next, pull off the the trim inside the tailgate to get access to the wiper motor (someone will explain how - I haven't done it on my car, but have on many others - not rocket science). There is a connector for power. Pull off the connector and test the connections with a multimeter, when wiper is set 'on'. Report your findings here, and get ready for the next check...

By the way, does the rear washer spray work OK? It's powered by a pump from under the bonnet, but the water travels along a long tube to the tailgate, and it has joints that can fail - and corrode things!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sensible. In the US, they get rid of door handles too, if you watch Fast n Loud, which is even nuttier than getting rid of wipers....

First-pass diagnosis is not too hard. Look up the manual (or somewhere here will tell you) where the rear wiper fuse lives. Pull it out and check it. Replace if necessary (but always have another fuse of the same value at hand, should the first one blow again!). Next, pull off the the trim inside the tailgate to get access to the wiper motor (someone will explain how - I haven't done it on my car, but have on many others - not rocket science). There is a connector for power. Pull off the connector and test the connections with a multimeter, when wiper is set 'on'. Report your findings here, and get ready for the next check...

By the way, does the rear washer spray work OK? It's powered by a pump from under the bonnet, but the water travels along a long tube to the tailgate, and it has joints that can fail - and corrode things!
Yes it the fluid works

I’ll tell you how it broke (if it is broke)

a big chip shop bin rolled into the rear window when windy, this smashed it, and when it got fixed it doesn’t spin,

ive Checked the fuse it is fine,

not sure how to getthat trim off though !

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes it the fluid works

I’ll tell you how it broke (if it is broke)

a big chip shop bin rolled into the rear window when windy, this smashed it, and when it got fixed it doesn’t spin,

ive Checked the fuse it is fine,

not sure how to getthat trim off though !
I’ve got the trim off, I don’t have an ammeter to test it either 😂

·
Registered
319 Posts
Well it's volts (or continuity) you'll be checking. A multi-meter is under a tenner on Amazon, and a must-have for anyone with a car no longer in warranty. Or with a house that has electricity. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it's volts (or continuity) you'll be checking. A multi-meter is under a tenner on Amazon, and a must-have for anyone with a car no longer in warranty. Or with a house that has electricity. :)
I have a pat tester in work ? That would work right ?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I think that's for testing mains safety! You need a cheaper thing called a multimeter. Hold on.... am I having fun poked at me here? ! Never mind....

·
Registered
319 Posts
Ok. I think if you want to find what wrong with the wiper motor, you need to check it's getting 12V when it's supposed to be running, so buy a multimeter for this. It could be that the motor is mechanically damaged, if it's not a power issue, in which case you'll have to remove it and buy a used one from a breaker's yard (online). Can you hear anything whirring by the tailgate when you think the wiper should be running? (Don't forget it's a delay-wipe thing).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok. I think if you want to find what wrong with the wiper motor, you need to check it's getting 12V when it's supposed to be running, so buy a multimeter for this. It could be that the motor is mechanically damaged, if it's not a power issue, in which case you'll have to remove it and buy a used one from a breaker's yard (online). Can you hear anything whirring by the tailgate when you think the wiper should be running? (Don't forget it's a delay-wipe thing).
So I tested it with a multimeter

12V current isn’t running through !

next steps ?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Assuming you have tested all the combinations of pins, looking for 12V with respect body earth, you should check the fuse, and if OK, remove it and check to see if you get a voltage across the prongs that the fuse would sit in. Don't short anything - be very careful. If OK, replace fuse, assuming it is not blown. You can test the fuse with your multimeter set to "ohms" or "continuity bleep".

Many wipers work through a relay. If this is true on an Up, look up where the relay lives, turn on the wiper switch and see if you can hear the relay click closed. If it does click, chances are it may be OK....If it seems OK, trace the wires back from the wiper motor into the bodywork.....

The point is you need to establish where the break is in the wiring is - because if not a fuse, or connector block or relay you are down to a break in wiring OR a poor earth connection or earth strap....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I’ve tried my best, I’m going to leave it for the garage 😅

next on the list:

1. Alloy change, 17”??
2. Led or Nightbreaker ?
3. Colour changing front fog lights.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts