Up Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am awaiting deliver of our new Move UP and have purchased both front and rear VW mudflaps for it on Ebay.

I was horrified to see that you need to use a drill to fit them. The thought of drilling holes in my brand new car fill me with terror
!! Has anybody undertaken this task please? If so can you give me a little guidance? Thank you

·
Registered
58 Posts
You'll get illustrated instruction with mudflaps. It is very easy to install it. All you need is drill and torx(don't remember size).

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
dead easy and worry not, fit yourself and save a fortune!

·
Registered
523 Posts
I didn't drill the back ones, as the clips seem to hold on well. The fronts you just have to put a hole in the plastic wheel arch.

·
Registered
525 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
We drill into the bumper but put the mudflaps around them dont worry.. the bumper is only plastic it cannot rust or expand.. this is how we do it, it is the best way and safest.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I drilled the front and back but didnt use the metal clips on the back, they seem to hold well without them and i didnt want the clips to damage the paintwork on the bumper. Really easy to fit though :)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
My Mudflaps have arrived and I've been studying the instructions.
I cannot work out what the stud type plastic post thing is, for the front set.
It's a little fixing (one for each side) with a tiny post one end and a larger post, split into 4 quadrants at the other.

Can anyone enlighten me on what it does and where it goes? I can't even find it on the instruction sheet.

Thanks in advance, Alex

·
Registered
523 Posts
If you look on the above guide it will show you. They replace the other plastic bits behind the wheel arch. It will become aparent when you see it.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Thanks, I think I understand now. The thin post pushes right into the other bit until is is flush.
Hope to fit them at the weekend.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Fitted the fronts, however can't seem to get the screw in here..
Not sure what to do as cant see to line it all up, as its the last screw to go in.

Photo pasted from MickA' s fitting guide.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Did it in the end! I didn't find it easy. Back ones tomorrow. Lol

·
Registered
86 Posts
I did the front ones fine however the back! The ebay people gave me two LEFT HAND parts so dont fit! I braught them months ago so dont know whether the ebay owner would send a right hand clip :/
So just stuck with front mud flaps only!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Bekahb said:
I did the front ones fine however the back! The ebay people gave me two LEFT HAND parts so dont fit! I braught them months ago so dont know whether the ebay owner would send a right hand clip :/
So just stuck with front mud flaps only!
Just ask them. I would think they would sort it for you.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Arrgghhh

I can't get the spring clips to go on the back and have given up! I tried opening them a bit wider, but I still can't do it

I may have to get my dealer to fit the back flaps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The spring clips are "tapped" on with a hammer! The clips grip the plastic, not the paintwork, forcing the plastic to grip the bumper.

I had much more trouble with the front mud flaps, locating the screws into the plastic moulding behind the shield and the flap was a nightmare, and i'm not sure that I have located the screws properly. They look secure, they feel secure, but who knows? At least if they drop off I know it's my own fault!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts