Up Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum and great site. Need some advice on the possibility of fitting 5 door seats into 3 door car. Both seats seem to have same upper levers but is it a case of bolting onto the rails to ensure it slides and folds or just not possible?

If not feasible can the five door front seats covers be easily removed and fitted into 3 door front seats? Any guidance appreciated

·
Registered
650 Posts
Not advised or even possible as the 5 door seats don't have movable seat backs.(forward to allow rear seat passengers). They only have the recline facility.
I would expect that the seat covers can be swapped though, as they look very similar.

Reactions: plancast

·
Registered
366 Posts
ETKA splits out the front seats by left and right (driver and passenger because it's based on the LHD models), but you'll notice two different part numbers for the frames (item #1 on the list) for the folding (3-door)/non-folding(5-door) versions. However, the covers (#16) only differ by material/colour, so as @911ts3 says they should be interchangeable:
left/driver:
right/passenger:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the responses. I have a 3dr and hopeful 5dr front seats could be swapped. Has anyone replaced the cloth on the front seats and how easy it would be?

I recall I changed a bmw headrest cover once and the secret was to cover with a polythene bag and use a hoover to remove the air and reduce the foam size before fitting the cover.

·
Registered
171 Posts
since i did this back in 2015, i know it can be done toke a saturday to do it, the front seats are basicly 3 parts upper,mittel and lower part, my buddy got a rght hand drive 5 door leatherette seats and swap it around so he got high adjust on both seats and the leather in the 3 door, the back can be taken off and used in the 3 door the mittel part is as i recall(easy to see when taken a part) is the high adjust and lover part is reklain. back seat goes in no problem.(ps. i live in denmark so lefthand drive here, and the 5 door right hand drive seats went in )
i don´t have all the details since it´s 5 years ago, but toke me roughly 6-8 hours swaping airbags and figuring out what 3 parts i needed in the 3 door car, used zip ties to pull the seat cover down)
regards sören

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you and looks like a bigger job that I imagined particularly with the airbags. When you look at both 3dr and 5dr front seats they look alike but I guess the 5 door version only lets you recline and doesn't perform the same functions as the 3dr which comes forward and releases the rails.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts