Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<div ="msg"="">

[[ This is also in the Main Message Boards but getting no help there or any other websites, so I am broadening my scope]]

I have bought a Volkswagen Up! and have had it for just under 3 weeks now.

I received pricing for the car services:

10,000miles/1st year,

20,000/2nd year,

30,000/3rd years {whichever comes first}

However I received one a quote for a fixed priced "service and maintenance" plan.
These plans are based on mileage and come in three types. You can see this on the
box on the right from Volkswagen's own website:

www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/servicing-plans:
-Service
-Service + Maintenance
-Service + Maintenance + Tyres

I will give you the standard pricing and my quote as follows:

Service Prices:

10,000miles/1st year:

-Oil change Service £184.75

total: £185.75

20,000/2nd year:

-Interval Service £242.35

-Replace Pollen Filter £27.68

-Air Conditioning service £79.00

total: £349.03

30,000/3rd years

-Inspection & Oil change £384.12

-MOT £54.85

-Replace brake fluid £66.37

total: £449.97

Over 3 years that means a grand total of £983.75

Fixed cost service and maintenance plan:

NOTE: For this plan, I had to decide my annual mileage. My mileage was set at 12,000. I think you have it serviced every year at your set mileage as opposed to every 10,000. Correct me if I am wrong.**

Service: yes

Maintenance: yes

Tires: no

Contract Period: 36 months

Number of Payments: 36

Annual Mileage: 12,000 miles

Total Contract Mileage: 36,000 miles

Total Monthly Installment: £19.31

(x36) total: £695.16

Personally, I only think I need the Service (oil change every year etc)
considering its a brand new car, if anything else goes horribly wrong,
it is still under warranty (with some exceptions).

What are you opinions? Any anyone get/not get a service plan on a new car?

1) **Is this correct?

2) Can I get it serviced cheaper elsewhere by a dealer that uses
genuine VW parts and the VW service stamp so that my warranty is not
affected?

Thank you.

Edited by: Arthur Willcox

·
Registered
296 Posts
Think £187 for oil change is crazy. Had one done at my request at 1,500 miles and that cost about £87 in total.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I think vw are rip offs and theres no way I'd pay that! If it means I dont get a vw stamp in my service book then woopi do!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow- I bought my UP! last September and the my local dealer chucked in the 3 years serving for free, feel very lucky looking at those costs!!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Pretty sure when I bought my Up! the three year service plan was £299. The deal at the time was half price. My first service was done last October and would have cost just under £85 if I didn't have the service plan. Edited by: Beevee

·
Registered
12 Posts
I paid £199 for 3 years servicing & first MOT in March 2013. Seemed stupid to pass over when I was told first service was £149 second, £99 and third £149. Fixed price servicing may be different though. My best friend is paying about the same (£19pcm) for servicing on her Seat Ibiza (to VW Finance) for 6000 miles annually. Edited by: La104

·
Registered
45 Posts
3 year plan cost me £249 today.

The salesman said it retails at £389 but he cut me a deal.

I guess it's all part of the negotiations when buying and part exchanging.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
got my 3 services for free....as I do a big mileage, had to pay for next ie 40,000 service (car at 20 months old) , it was a 'BIG' service and included spark plugs etc etc still under £230 for it at a proper VW dealer

your service quotes are bonkers...are you in central London with mega labour costs??

use your phone and shop around, other VW dealers will see service business as 'conquest' business and may cut you a deal (ie stealing customers from rival)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All of you're prices sound fascinating and make my quotes look outrageously inflated!

My dealer is in Guildford, Surrey, just outside the M25.

glug said:
3 year plan cost me £249 today.

The salesman said it retails at £389 but he cut me a deal.

I guess it's all part of the negotiations when buying and part exchanging.

Well on the website it says a "service plan" for 3 years is 24 payments of £15.99.

So £383.76-I guess that's what hes talking about, and well done you've got a great deal there. I might go in, quote the £15.99 PCM and see if I can haggle a deal.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have just purchased a VW 3 year service plan for my Golf 6, it cost £535 and includes 1 x major and 2 x minor services plus 3 mot test fees. I thought it was a fair price considering I get a free loan car and valet as well. Normal price is £299 for a major and £149 for a minor. MOT fee is £49 and brake fluid change £59.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Rickenbacker said:
...plus 3 mot test fees.

Really? Since the first MOT is only required at "age 3" that means you're getting MOTs at years 4 and 5, but with no service beforehand...

[edit]
No... I've just re-read your post and I see that your Golf isn't necessarily (or even probably) new, so the 3 services and MOTs make sense!

I could have just deleted my post (and appeared less of an idiot!) but I thought that an edit would stop anyone else making the same initial mistake that I made!

Edited by: christgill

·
Registered
333 Posts
Just thinking this is what you get from Audi service history up to three years old as
Long as you take it to audi ,the Mot is about £50 you get a guarantee of up to £750 towards
Costs of parts and labour ,you cannot say no to that one ,I think they should do the same
With the up ,after all they are all the same company in one way or the other
Regards Phill

·
Registered
10 Posts
Privatedoc said:
got my 3 services for free....as I do a big mileage, had to pay for next ie 40,000 service (car at 20 months old) , it was a 'BIG' service and included spark plugs etc etc  still under £230 for it at a proper VW dealer

your service quotes are bonkers...are you in central London with mega labour costs??

use your phone and shop around, other VW dealers will see service business as 'conquest' business and may cut you a deal (ie stealing customers from rival)
Hi!
Please let me know where you got your service done as I do 25k miles a year and we'll need the service soon!
My dealership is trying to sell me 3 years service on "Time and Distance" (due every 10k or 1 year) so in theory I would have used up all their service plan services in the space of 18 months!
I want the Flexible service designed for cars doing 20k+ a year but not from this dealership as I feel they are trying to "get one over on me"!

·
Registered
430 Posts
I don't think long life service is available on the UP so in theory if you did 10,000 miles a month you would use all your services up in 3 months. Services will always be every 10,000 miles or every 12 months which ever comes first, I cant see another way round it for your situation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for your reply, but why don't you think long life service is available for Up? Because of small engine size?
When i was looking to buy, dealer said it was available and hence why it seemed appealing.
Now they want me on time and distance.
Skoda dealer with Citigo offer 20k flexible servicing.
Same car, different badge, so don't see why this dealer can't.
Might shop around and call some other dealers...

·
Registered
430 Posts
As far as I'm aware VW's compatible with LL service regimes have built in engine sensors that monitor the quality of the oil allowing for that extra flexibility for high mileage motorway users. I would check with VW customer services to be certain it is available, dealers with tell you anything to secure a sale.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dealers have told me what I wanted to hear and I feel so disappointed on myself for believing them.
VW customer services advise only 10k servicing is available, but also other dealers have advised 20k is available and not to get the 10k service plan.
Even the Up! Pricing and Servicing Guide states that flexible service available for cars that do over 25 miles a day on long distances, which is exactly what I do.
I've quoted that to VW and am keen to see how they reply.
Unfortunately, I've already bought the car. Didn't see it necessary to confirm with main VW customer services about service plans - what a fool to think I could trusty a dealer!!

·
Registered
430 Posts
I know its down to personal choice and budgets but I really wouldn't want to go beyond 10,000 miles without at least an oil change, I had the option of long life service on the Golf but still stuck with the 10,000 miles intervals. You are right though dealers are full of bull especially the sales staff.

·
Registered
182 Posts
To the OP...I'd ask why VW are asking £184 for a first (12 month/10,000m.) service...when Skoda dealers are doing the same service (on the "same" car) for less than £90. Perhaps all VW up! owners should drive to their nearest Skoda dealer and save a packet...and get (arguably) better attitude and attention.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That was a major player when choosing my car, Skoda vs VW prices.
Same car, so different price structure.
"You can take your car for a service anywhere", but its whether or not the Skoda stamp will be with anything to future buyers, or if VW will consider it equal if you should need to claim on the vw warranty.
I'm still trying to get an answer out of VW but it seems that although "their" Up! is manufactured, made and put together by Skoda in Skoda manufacturing plant, they fail to recognise that Skoda Citigo is their equal and still put themselves PV a pedestal.
For other true vw models, I would agree that is the VW name that makes the car.
In this case, I think not.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts