Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Because the car has taken longer to arrive, I may now be in a position to pay for it in one go, rather than using the credit.
It's £99 with the credit, but £299 without. That seems very expensive for 3 oil changes and some break fluid. After all, the first mot is not due till 3 years and the car should not need much work.

I just wondered what others are doing with regard to servicing?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hiya, I did wonder about that,as I spoke to my mechanic who always services my Polo and he does not agree that it would cost me £299 in 3 years, but intrested to hear others views. As I am now on my own I am having to sort these sort of things out and don't want to be taken for a mug !!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the law says you can have a new car serviced by any garage when it's under warranty, and is does not affect the warranty in any way. I need to check up on that though..

·
Registered
235 Posts
sounds about right what your saying, but even price wise wonder if it would cost £300 in 3 years, I don't know? this is all new to me as I have never had to do this on my own so feel its a bit of a mine field :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
You can have new car serviced anywhere so long as they use genuine parts and approved fluids to maintain warranty validity. The only disadvantage is the value of the car with FSH vs FDSH after however many years. We got free servicing for three years thrown in by our dealer so ours will go to VW for the first 3 at least. I guess you'd have to weigh up the cost of VW services against the potential depreciation of a non-dealer serviced car, if any?

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
i think the £99 is a good price, however £299 is quite alot and therefore id check out getting it done elsewhere

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'd definitely check the options but as Ashy-87 said, be careful as to what hey use etc as it does effect the warranty if they don't use genuine parts.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I got it the fixed price service because having a FSH adds value to the car £99 is slightly pricey but its worth it

·
Registered
51 Posts
I will be getting the service plan with my car;
Way I see it is yeh its 299, but when I was in their dealership, it was advertised that their major service that you have to have after 2 years or x amount of miles (or something like that anyways) to maintain the warranty is like 249 so its not bad! Its also just the ease of it; if I pay it now all in one go it means I haven't got to worry for the next few years which is always nice- hassle free motoring if there ever was such a thing!!

·
Registered
421 Posts
I think the first service is a tickle with a spanner an oil change but the second and third are quite a bit involved

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did notice in my leaflets for the service plan that you get 10% off fitted accessories.. I guess I could use that to save a bit on the mudflaps & mats...

·
Registered
655 Posts
Which leaflet is this out of interest!!? Before I order anything lol!!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Rednaxela said:
I did notice in my leaflets for the service plan that you get 10% off fitted accessories
I didn't see that and I have the service plan!

·
Registered
62 Posts
our local dealer threw the servicing pack in as part of the deal. Personally I would much rather have 3 vw stamps in the book in the first 3 years than 3 stamps from some random garage (no matter how competent they are). £299 is expensive, £99 is a decent deal, and imo willmean a more desirable second hand buy for someone in the future.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ZumbaQueen said:
Rednaxela said:
I did notice in my leaflets for the service plan that you get 10% off fitted accessories

I didn't see that and I have the service plan!

I guess it could be dealer specific. My dealer is Robinsons. Probably worth checking as you may be able to claim some money back if they didn't remember about it.

I haven't got my discount yet, however if they say no, I will just wait for a week and then order the mudflaps etc..

you also get free puncture repair and balancing for the term of the plan
Edited by: Rednaxela

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Of course, it may just be dealer specific....

·
Registered
956 Posts
I opted for the £99 service offer which I didn't think was bad for three years (not that I know what's involved in it's first three years of servicing).

I also had a great salesman who said he would be happy to lend me his own car whilst mine's in for it's annual service, which I thought was a really nice gesture (although I suppose it really depends on what his car is like
).

I'd also heard that FDSH kept depreciation lower so if that's the case, it's a double bonus.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Not sure whether FDSH keeps the value high or if a set of services by someone else is an excuse to offer a low amount for your car...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts