Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving my UP! for the first time I've flashed or waved at other UP! drivers but nobody acknowledges me. I was hoping there would be some camaraderie between us owners but no ˜”Anyone else tried this?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Haha I do this all the time and also I do the old vw hand but I usually get dirty looks due to me being a teenage boy and having big 17" alloys on hah

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yes.. I spot other ups miles away.. I always flash and wave but I don't get anything back.. It's like their oblivious.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I think you are right. So many drivers appear not to notice what's happening around them. I have not yet had a returned wave.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Well fellow Bolton and Horwich area drivers are rude they don't even look!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Never got a wave back its been a year and a half now
its seems the up has only attracted miserable B*stards (pardon my french) its become a joke with my friends now saying the UP! is only driven old angry women (no offence to older women, on here your lovely
) and there kinda right I'm afraid, well at least in Wales anyway.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Keep trying! I've had nothing back so far, apart from a look across but couldnt tell if they were acknowledging me or thinking I was weird! Prob is, most owners won't be car enthusiasts, and not know about this forum.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hmmm! If we were driving Ford Fiestas or VW Golfs would we expect to wave at and be waved at by every other driver of the same car?

Most people who have bought an up! have probably done it because they thought it was the best car for the job for the money and they now don't even think about the car they're in when they're driving. They're just thinking that there's several loonies around who wave at them!

The only up!s I would consider acknowledging are those that are obviously self-aware - there was a red one in Wimbledon with "UP" as part of it's number plate (I think the last three letters were "UPP", but by the time I'd clocked it I'd already passed by at the roundabout at the end of Ashcombe Road) and I see from the owner's map that, like me in Forest Hill, there's an up! in Lewisham with "UP" as the first two letters and something personalised as the last three.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Last I got flashed was when I had a 2CV. Out of pity I think.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have tried many times and normally get a " Do I know you " stare but no friendly responses yet...... obviously not forum members !

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had a Smart in 2003 when they were stillquite rare and all Smart drivers waved to each other. I have another Smart which i bought in 2009 and these days hardly any one waves any more. I guess there are so many Smarts on the road,you would be waving constantly like the Queen lol.

Years ago MGB and Triumph Spitfire drivers waved,and bikers.However today i find only Bus and Train drivers wave to each other.

·
Registered
93 Posts
When I had an MG and 2CV I would exchange waves/flashes with other owners. Maybe the Up! appeals to a much wider motoring public and has yet to become such an icon? I would wave/flash back but when I gave a cheery smile to the guy parking close by as we both got out of our Up!s he just looked at me as if was an axe-murdering lunatic.

Nick

·
Registered
727 Posts
Scrubnut said:
Last I got flashed was when I had a 2CV. Out of pity I think.
You were probably holding up traffic..!

·
Registered
35 Posts
There's quite a few bobbing around now here in Sheffield - especially as a huge VW dealer is near me! I've had a 'knowing nod' acknowledgement when I waved at another Up coming the other way. Only one I've had so far though (Hello to whoever that gentleman was!)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Last time I was "flashed" was in Basingstoke - 1989

happy motoring

·
Registered
53 Posts
I waved at another black up! this weekend, I was really happy to see one going the other way, but I don't think they even saw me, it wont stop me trying thou'

·
Registered
448 Posts
UPANDATEM said:
Last time I was "flashed" was in Basingstoke - 1989

happy motoring
Sure sign of a miss spent youth

Go well.
Edited by: Night Owl

1 - 20 of 20 Posts