Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In days of old, when knights were bold and I drove an Austin Healey Sprite, not the frog eyed one, ownerswith thesame model used to flash their headlights at each other. perhaps we could start a trend with Upers....or has somebody thought of this before and I just missed it? Cos it is easy to spot one from a distance coming the other way....What do you think?

·
Super Moderator
1,496 Posts
I would say just a friendly wave or nod.

Flashing your headlights is illegal unless you are warning someone of your presence [simply alerting them that you are another up! owner is not suffice in the eyes of the Law], plus you may confuse other road users around you, which might result in an accident.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
You are never ever, ever going to get in trouble for flashing your lights at a fellow road user on such a manner. I have been doing it since I got mine, that and/or a cheeky smile.
Only one person has given me a smile back yet, probably because I was just folding my mirrors in after parking a had a proper double take moment as she pulled out alongside me.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Flashing used to be standard practice amongst Reliant Robin (plastic pig) owners, I guess they were just happy and relie ed that they were not suffering alone ˜ƒ

·
Registered
81 Posts
Rickenbacker said:
Flashing used to be standard practice amongst Reliant Robin (plastic pig) owners, I guess they were just happy and relie ed that they were not suffering alone ˜ƒ

Also this practice is quite common among motorcyclists, well it was back in the day! especially if you had a special bike. Ducati owners were the best wavers and flashers

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it is breaking the law, perhaps we could know which one? Is it in the highway code? Is it against the law to blow your nose as well? If it confuses a driver or causes an accident, one wonders about the competence ofother drivers.It seemsaccording to the above comments, it isalready a practise amongst many drivers anyway.....Seems like a good idea to me, sorry!Obviously any sensible person would use common sense.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Some people have too much time on their hands......

I for one always give a friendly flash to other Uppers, occasionally I get a wave back, but normally I get a blank look to be honest.

I also ALWAYS flash when I see a speed trap, but that's a different kettle of fish.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Amongst the mobile phone brigade, people who drive up your bum, risk taking idiots, and general fxxx wits on the roads these days I don't see flashing to be a big issue!

·
Registered
78 Posts
It is a common sense to say friendly "Hallo" with flash or a wave,but unfortunately not everyone doing it.I have got only 1 flashback from a young fellow in Elm Park in front of TESCO.Thank him and I hope more people will do in the future.For Ups sake its not take amillions...

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've been flashing, waving to therUp'sfor a year now since march last year :) but out of about 150 - 200 Up's only 2 waved/flashed back :( every one else didn't notice me ignored or looked really angrily towards me as if Ioffended them! Even in a petrol station I said alright to a slightly older man to his face and he gave the dirtiest look ever and said nothing! Looks like the up is being driven by grumpy, old (maybe slightly jealous) farts or is that just in Wales?? Rant over lol

·
Registered
811 Posts
No, the grumpy buggers are everywhere, I don't think I've had a single wave back yet. I'm just looking out for an owner's club sticker for a friendly Upper.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ok, it is not the end of the world.I will do flashing and waiving with respect to Uppers.If I get it back-fine,if not-all the best for them

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ups are far too common for friendly flashing, they're hardly MGBs now, are they?

On some trips you'd look like your lights were faulty, such is the frequency with which you see Ups on the road.

In addition to the sheer volume, a great many are owned by people who just wanted a cheap car/appliance and would barely recognise anther one on the road.

Sorry, but if you pass me and flash I'll just check my headlights aren't on etc.!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Would agree with Davec86 but dont want to be accused of being narrow minded!!! Only joking Dave

1 - 20 of 27 Posts