Up Owners Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, Move Up! 2013 owner here.

Can you folks help me decipher the photo below? The quality of my radio reception suddenly nose-dived (can barely hear one major FM station) so accessed the RCD 215 secret menu thinking it would help me diagnose the problem. So far I'm looking at either replacing the aerial (probably not a stubby one) and/ or base but would love to know what "ANT1 : AUS" means?

Cheers!

Electronics Car Vehicle Vehicle audio Cd player

·
Registered
167 Posts
'ANT1' must refer to your 'Antenne', i.e. your aerial. 'Aus' means off, as in turned off. Looks like the aerial isn't communicating with the head unit properly.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I'm guessing the antenna may be a powered type, i.e. it has a little RF amp built in, but I'm not sure.
If so, check for a fuse problem.
Either way, it could just be a corroded connector somewhere, so that's worth checking.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Should've added, for future reference (fingers crossed!), that 'ein' means on - ein-aus is on-off.

·
Super Moderator
1,091 Posts
The Up doesn't have an amplified aerial and that is why radio reception is rubbish. I think the 'ANT 1' is referring to having one aerial base.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Maybe the aerial connector on the back of the head unit has just worked loose over time. Probably worth the cost of a set of removal keys, and an hour* of your time, to take a look ?

*40 minutes to download and decipher the instructions, 10 minutes to actually remove the relevant trim bits, 10 minutes to retrieve the last trim screw, which dropped into the dash as you were removing it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Should've added, for future reference (fingers crossed!), that 'ein' means on - ein-aus is on-off.
Thanks. It's annoying that the manual doesn't mention anything about the RCD showing German. Now to work out what "NK" and "MP" are...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe the aerial connector on the back of the head unit has just worked loose over time. Probably worth the cost of a set of removal keys, and an hour* of your time, to take a look ?

*40 minutes to download and decipher the instructions, 10 minutes to actually remove the relevant trim bits, 10 minutes to retrieve the last trim screw, which dropped into the dash as you were removing it.
I'd say 2 hours for me... I'm awful at taking stuff apart, even worse putting it all together!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm guessing the antenna may be a powered type, i.e. it has a little RF amp built in, but I'm not sure.
If so, check for a fuse problem.
Either way, it could just be a corroded connector somewhere, so that's worth checking.
Noted, cheers!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Up doesn't have an amplified aerial and that is why radio reception is rubbish. I think the 'ANT 1' is referring to having one aerial base.

It was working great (RDS and consistent TP) until now... Thought the country suddenly got rid of FM radio!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So fitting a new aerial didn't do anything...

As well as checking the head unit for loose connection (as suggested by tsi17) I also want to check the aerial base, but the only resource I've found here doesn't even relate as there's no cover strip in the Up!

Any other ideas on how I can investigate the aerial base?

Cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts