Up Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished installing the front component speaker upgrade from Focal 165 for VW cars, after a couple of rush trips to the Home Depot, to purchase “pop rivets” and gun, it finally ended all well. For the first part. The install is almost plug and play, the tweeter units are designed for a golf or Passat (but nothing hot glue can’t fix).

I purchased yesterday the speakers on Amazon and they arrived today. A set of component speakers 6.5in in front, and a coaxial for the rear doors, (no advertisement jaja).

A pretty good project to get my son interested in the car, and to-do on a fine sunny Mexican Sunday.

Great results from the speakers, very easy job for a complete non skilled person (me).

The end result incredible new life to the old car. Like a new toy.

Look forward on installing the coaxial speakers on the rear doors, some time next week. I was not able to get the door covers off the car, the window lever things don’t have a screw or how to get it off... need some advise here.

I also installed a set of “stinger rings of foam In front and in the back of the speaker for testing purposes, apparently it brings deeper bass from the mid’s. the kit comes in a set for two, I need to get a new set for the rears, because I think “it works“ somehow.

All in conjunction with the amplified JVL woofer it now is a tiny sound machine jajaja, not very loud just more clear notes in all the band, crisp mids and moderate bass, with the stock head unit, I think I can improve it a little more with sound deadening material in the doors, and so, just need to see who can install it properly.

Totaly recommend the upgrade.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hi Carlos,
Thanks for posting details of your various mods. The online Workshop Manual explains most procedures for working on the car, although it can need a lot of searching to find the section you need (you can purchase PDF versions from several places online as well). The info on taking off the rear door panels is here:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi Carlos,
Thanks for posting details of your various mods. The online Workshop Manual explains most procedures for working on the car, although it can need a lot of searching to find the section you need (you can purchase PDF versions from several places online as well). The info on taking off the rear door panels is here:
I just finished installing the front component speaker upgrade from Focal 165 for VW cars, after a couple of rush trips to the Home Depot, to purchase “pop rivets” and gun, it finally ended all well. For the first part. The install is almost plug and play, the tweeter units are designed for a golf or Passat (but nothing hot glue can’t fix).

I purchased yesterday the speakers on Amazon and they arrived today. A set of component speakers 6.5in in front, and a coaxial for the rear doors, (no advertisement jaja).

A pretty good project to get my son interested in the car, and to-do on a fine sunny Mexican Sunday.

Great results from the speakers, very easy job for a complete non skilled person (me).

The end result incredible new life to the old car. Like a new toy.

Look forward on installing the coaxial speakers on the rear doors, some time next week. I was not able to get the door covers off the car, the window lever things don’t have a screw or how to get it off... need some advise here.

I also installed a set of “stinger rings of foam In front and in the back of the speaker for testing purposes, apparently it brings deeper bass from the mid’s. the kit comes in a set for two, I need to get a new set for the rears, because I think “it works“ somehow.

All in conjunction with the amplified JVL woofer it now is a tiny sound machine jajaja, not very loud just more clear notes in all the band, crisp mids and moderate bass, with the stock head unit, I think I can improve it a little more with sound deadening material in the doors, and so, just need to see who can install it properly.

Totaly recommend the upgrade.

View attachment 5179

View attachment 5177
View attachment 5178
I just finished the install, what a difference. (Couldn’t wait.)

stock speakers tame the sound of the head unit because of their architecture, it is just a Cardboard vs composite cost savings thing, no one is to blame, it is just a little thing that can make your car perform a lot better, the total purchase for the two sets of speakers was a bit over $200 usd. The foam was around $20.00 usd. But the overall experience is now a lot more pleasant. (Mexico prices are a lot more expensive than other countries).
The woofer is a good add on. But I think most people will do with just the speakers, I know I would. Just had the woofer laying around so I installed it.
the other thing is if you don’t want to spend on speakers. I think a best recommendation of the build and my new best practice will be the set of foam rings and back for the speakers, WHAT a difference! Really try it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just finished the install, what a difference. (Couldn’t wait.)

stock speakers tame the sound of the head unit because of their architecture, it is just a Cardboard vs composite cost savings thing, no one is to blame, it is just a little thing that can make your car perform a lot better, the total purchase for the two sets of speakers was a bit over $200 usd. The foam was around $20.00 usd. But the overall experience is now a lot more pleasant. (Mexico prices are a lot more expensive than other countries).
The woofer is a good add on. But I think most people will do with just the speakers, I know I would. Just had the woofer laying around so I installed it.
the other thing is if you don’t want to spend on speakers. I think a best recommendation of the build and my new best practice will be the set of foam rings and back for the speakers, WHAT a difference! Really try it.
the rears came out well, and now I took the time to take a picture....

everything is hiding behind the door but thy really look nice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts