Up Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, for my UP! White I've ordered some LED 7443 T20 for the DRL, Osram diadem indicator lamps and ice white H4 headlight lamps (not sure if HID upgrade will cause warranty problems) but to complete the lighting upgrades I need to get some fog light lamps, anyone know what bulbs they are? H7, H11 etc.

Also I know the rules on HID with reflectors and no washers etc, hence I'm hesitant to go down that route yet.
Thanks in advance if anyone knows!

·
Registered
59 Posts
HIDconversionsin an UP! would be an illegal modification. To legally have them you need, Projector headlight units, headlight washers & selflevellingmechanism.Unfortunately the Up! has non of these properties. You can fit them and they are a huge improvement over standard lights. Obviously you know that Up! headlights use H4 (472) bulbs which are one bulb with two filaments. So if you were to get a HIDconversionkit, you have two options: One is to get a standard H4 HID Xenon kit, this only has the onefilament so youdon'thave the option of full beams. Or two is to get a H4 HID BiXenon kit,whichdoes have the option of full beam but are a more expensive.
hope this helps,

As for your fog lights you can legally fit a HIDconversionkit too, Personally i like the look of yellow fog lights as i think they suit VWs down to a Tee. In our Tiguan i have fitted a H11, 3000 kelvin HID kitwhichare very bright and are yellow, any HID kits above 5000kelvin in colour temperature are white/blue.
Yellow is the mostefficient for use in fog, if you look at Le mans or rally cars you will notice they have yellow fog lights, this is because yellowdoesn'treflect of fog light normal headlights.
I would stronglyrecommenda HID kit for your fog lights as they do make a world of difference they do take abit of work to fit, but they are worth it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As above I fully understand the first paragraph already but thanks for stating in case others aren't aware. I currently have HID's in my Arosa (illegally I know) and find them a lot better than standard halogens which is why I want to upgrade.
As I stated, my main concern is warranty issues more than anything. I like your idea of yellow fogs and agree it looks good on most VAG's, at the moment I am looking for an interim upgrade shall we say before going down the HID route all round.
So all I need to know for now is the cap/bulb type of the fog lamps so I can buy some 'ice white' versions.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
FreyaMx said:
Hi all, for my UP! White I've ordered some LED 7443 T20 for the DRL, Osram diadem indicator lamps and ice white H4 headlight lamps (not sure if HID upgrade will cause warranty problems) but to complete the lighting upgrades I need to get some fog light lamps, anyone know what bulbs they are? H7, H11 etc.

Also I know the rules on HID with reflectors and no washers etc, hence I'm hesitant to go down that route yet.
Thanks in advance if anyone knows!
Where did you order the LED's from?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Got them off eBay, one of the few T20 cap led replacements that claim twin filament compatibility. I must admit I'm still not sure how well they will work, get the car tomorrow so I will put them straight in and report my results, and find the link!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He might do if I don't like the standard lights ha!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Im desperately looking for LED bulb to replace my DRL ones on my up but were told they were illegal and only for off road use and interior use :( can any one confirm this?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Can't see it being illegal, providing you still have all the lights working in all modes (i.e DRL and sidelights) and they're not blue or something. Look how many new cars have LED DRL etc. in fact I'm surprised the up doesn't have them as standard anyway

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ashy87 said:
Got them off eBay, one of the few T20 cap led replacements that claim twin filament compatibility. I must admit I'm still not sure how well they will work, get the car tomorrow so I will put them straight in and report my results, and find the link!
Got an update on the bulb replacement ?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yea, put one in and blown the DRL fuse and fuse for that sidelight, tried other side and blew that sidelight fuse too so ive blown all the fuses, one for DRL and each sidelight's, hopefully that's all it is anyway, no DRL or sidelights at the min and no fuse box diagram, thanks VW. What's more concerning is why they've blown, I'm gonna have to look into the pin configuration on the lamps and lamp holder to see where the problem lies. Need to find the fuses first!

On a side note I can confirm that the fog lamps are indeed H11 as on many VAGs

·
Registered
109 Posts
They fit in snugly in the lamp holder and through the hole although do be careful as some I got earlier were too large in the body to go in the hole.

·
Registered
66 Posts
What was the story end ?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I got some drl's from ebay and the contacts came bent, had not straighened them before inserting, they prob would also have popped a fuse... always double check bulbs that have the pliable contacts...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts