Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Raised this topic because I'm fairly intrigued by the subject!

On the up! they appear as only available on the High Up and the black and white. Otherwise it is part of the winter pack for £300.00

On many other makes of car they are an option on their own at a similar sort of cost.

My question is how often are they used?

In my experience probably once or twice a year for a short period, probably not much different from many other drivers. Even then I think I've only used them because they were there, not because it aided my seeing or being seen.

So, what is the point of them apart from being a very expensive aesthetical addition?

Would it have been better for VW to have fitted them to all models and used them as DRL's instead of being incorporated in the headlamp unit?

Waffled on long enough! All views very welcome!

·
Registered
265 Posts
have them programmed for turning lights and they get used every day + its looks awesome and gives good light when turning at night

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ecksile said:
Would it have been better for VW to have ....... used them as DRLs instead of being incorporated in the headlamp unit?
There's quite a history to all this!

Anyone remember years ago the Lucas Pathfinder Long Range Driving lamps and Lucas (yellow bulb) foglamps?

Then the DIM-DIP system was introduced partly in response to the
long-running campaign to STOP Volvo using headlights as DRLs. The London Royal Mail
vans had the dim-dip system fitted.

As for the front fog lights, I've had them on all my past cars (Vectras,
Ocatvias, and a Qashqai). Yes, I'd say they were of help but on very
few occasions. I found that they certainly did help but only if I
could use them WITHOUT the headlights (to prevent the throw-back glare
fron the dipped headlights due to the fog). However they were VERY useful (with dipped beam) wherever the road
was pot-holed - but strictly that was not legal. Why?

How many drivers today know that FOG lamps (front AND rear) can be used ONLY when it's "falling snow or in fog AND where visibility is less than 100 yards". Main reason is dazzle/reflection and the subject has been covered by HonestJohn in his Daily Telegraph column in the past. Indeed, for most drivers, if the front fogs are ON they would not be aware ... let alone how to turn them off. Somebody once said to me (I was in the front passenger seat) regarding the foglights-ON warning light on the dashboard "do you know, I wondered what that little light was for". Many cars have self-cancel REAR fog light(s). Why don't the FRONT fogs self-cancel too? But that's another subject!

With the advent of LEDs and now their use for DRLs, the headlamp and dazzle problem has gone. So, like you, I have been very surprised to find out (although I have not yet got my up!) that the DRLs are not LEDs but just the old fashioned bulbs! Why is this?

I used to drive 33,000 miles a year on the M25 before I retired. and I can
confidently say if my High up! had not got the front fogs I
would not be bothered in the slightest.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Front foglamps are a complete waste of time, I've no idea why they are still fitted to cars.

They were maybe of use with a dodgy 1970s electrical system and bulbs/reflectors that were little better than candles, but with modern lighting tech they are completely superfluous as headlamps nowadays allow you more than adequate illumination to drive at appropriate speed in foggy conditions.

99 times out of a 100 the only time you see them on is because some mouth-breather thinks they look the berries as they swan about in their 318d, dazzling everyone.

When it is foggy and you do try them you find they hardly help at all anyway. It's not as if they allow you to drive any faster/safer.

If manufacturers insist onfittingthem then they should only be permitted to come on when the rear foglamp is already on, as part of a 2-stage switch.

I think VW may already implement this. At least this would force the twunts to drive around with their rear foglamp onas well, something which fewer people would be inclined to do.

Otherwise though, get rid of them!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well worth the read. I can't remember the last time I used fog lights, front or rear.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I did use mine the other week after the high winds. I found them really good for spotting little branches and debris at the side of the road in the dark and rain at 5 in the morning.
I also had them on one foggy morning, but I thought they made things worse by making the fog brighter.

·
Registered
432 Posts
@Peter: Agreed.

BTW, do you get people flashing you because they think the DRLs are foglamps that you've left on? I even had a lorry driver stop next to me and 'have a word'. The DRL law has been in effect for over two years now and many drivers still don't know about new cars having to have them.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
hi all,
im new to the forum,
i have looked at the post at the top where is said that if the fog lights are turned on, both front and back are turned on. is there a way to wire it/change the switch so that they can be controlled individually.

thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Pull the light switch out carefully half way, that only brings on the front fogs. You appear to have pulled the switch out fully, switching on both front and rear together.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts