Up Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I have been searching this forum but have been unable to find a definitive answer yet, so I thought I'd pose a new question..

Not got my Maps & More yet (hopefully will arrive, with the car, in March) but have been preparing an SD card with songs on it..

However have noticed some posts with people saying that M&M has not been able to read their songs due to the folder structure..

Currently my folder structure is:

\Music\Artist1\Album1\song1.mp3 .. etc
\Aritst1\Album1\song1.mp3 .. etc
\Artist2\Album1\song1.mp3 .. etc

However I am sure I have seen reports that having all of the Artists in a folder labelled Music doesn't work (which is a shame as I was planning to just shuffle the music folder) and that the folder structure needs to be more like this:

\Artist1\Album1\song1.mp3 .. etc
\Aritst1\Album1\song1.mp3 .. etc
\Artist2\Album1\song1.mp3 .. etc

Is this true?
If so is it possible to shuffle the whole SD card?

Any answers will be gratefully received.

Thank you!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay thanks, I will dump the music folder and have all the artists in the root then.
Take it that it handles having a folder per album underneath the artist though.
Many thanks for the reply, much appreciated

·
Registered
134 Posts
Or you can have several folders in the root directory (e.g. Podcasts, Spoken Word, Music) and then as many subfolders as you need in each one (e.g. in Music a folder for each genre). Then in each subfolder, more subfolders, maybe one for each artist and then yet another subfolder for each artist, giving one for each album, it's subfolder heaven! If you go back to the Music folder, M & M will still shuffle everything from Mozart to Motown.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gordoac said:
Or you can have several folders in the root directory (e.g. Podcasts, Spoken Word, Music) and then as many subfolders as you need in each one (e.g. in Music a folder for each genre). Then in each subfolder, more subfolders, maybe one for each artist and then yet another subfolder for each artist, giving one for each album, it's subfolder heaven! If you go back to the Music folder, M & M will still shuffle everything from Mozart to Motown.

See this is what is confusing me...?

According to other threads, you cannot use a "Music" folder e.g.http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/maps-more-sd-music-folder_topic4451.html

Other threads seem to suggestif you create a 'music' folder it won't see them..

Am confused now, as moved all my artists folder to the root yesterday evening

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahh I didn't know it did playlists.. That's a plus.

I guess my only concern was I wanted to know how to store stuff on the SD card so that Maps & More can read it as some threads had suggested that certain structures will lead to M&M not recognizing anything on the card..

"How" people store things on their SD card is their personal choice, and I support their right to express themselves via folder structure

·
Registered
361 Posts
Didn't mean to sound so rude (English not my native language), thus edited my answer before.
Yes I was telling how I organised my sd-card, I just did put artists in root and under each artist I put all albums they have, and didn't use a folder where all artists reside.

-eelis-

Edited by: -eelis-

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi folks, my name is John, and I've just ordered a Move Up 5dr in Mayan blue with Maps & More, sound & sensor packs. Currently carless after an accident, so the wait is going to seem even longer, but I think it will be worth it in the end!

I was looking for information about how to set up music on an SD card, and this thread has been helpful, but I still have one question. When you play an album (in one folder), how does the system know the order of the tracks? Does it use track numbers encoded in the MP3s, or do you really have to set up playlists or put 01, 02 etc at the start of the filenames?

Cheers all!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jcpren said:
I was looking for information about how to set up music on an SD card, and this thread has been helpful, but I still have one question. When you play an album (in one folder), how does the system know the order of the tracks? Does it use track numbers encoded in the MP3s, or do you really have to set up playlists or put 01, 02 etc at the start of the filenames?

Cheers all!
All of my mp3s have the track number encoded in them (using the excellent free software, TagScanner) and Maps and More does indeed respect the ordering of songs.
By the way having all of my songs in the following structure
\\music\band name\album name\songs.mp3
Hope you enjoy your up! as much as I am enjoying mine!

·
Registered
851 Posts
All my SD card music comes off iTunes in mp3 format (to display cover art) and all my albums are played in correct track sequence. So iTunes must encode track ordering as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts