Up Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a sat nav today for my polo, as I had to hand the maps and more back when I sold my up!
I went for a Garmin system that has Bluetooth and discovered that they also sell a Bluetooth OBD module.
You plug it into the diagnostic port of the car and it transmits all the vehicle data to the satnav and/or any android phone.

It will give you more data than maps and more and will also have similar features like the think blue section.

So the sat nav connects to both the Garmin Mechanic with ecoRoute HD and your phone. You can then use the satnav to take and make phone calls too.

The only thing you won't get is audio through the car speakers and music playback, which was the main reason I used maps and more in my old up!

The Garmin Mechanic with ecoRoute HD costs around £70 and the sat nav around £130.

I haven't bought the Garmin Mechanic HD, but I'm thinking of getting it as my polo does not tell you the engine temperature, which I do miss.

Hope the info helps give hope to anyone who wished they had maps and more.

Alex

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Just be careful the obd bluetooth module doesn't drain the battery, it is powered up even when the car is locked and parked.....shouldn't be a problem....

for anyone else playing with OBD2 modules, remember you MUST use a wifi module rather than bluetooth if you want to use with apple iOS apps....only android works with bluetooth.

ps, wifi obd2 modules are around 20 quid on ebay and work perfectly. bluetooth ones are around £10 !

·
Registered
237 Posts
Privatedoc said:
Just be careful the obd bluetooth module doesn't drain the battery, it is powered up even when the car is locked and parked.....shouldn't be a problem....
Sorry, you wanted to write "does drain the battery" or "doesn't drain the battery"?

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Be careful it doesn't. ie it DOES as it is constantly powered

1 - 4 of 4 Posts