Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think VW's plan for the GT was wrong.
They should have been designing a car similar in spirit to the Peugeot 106 Rallye.

GT was always going to be too expensive.
They need a car which is easy to produce and doesn't have a longer bill of materials than a standard car.
So a Rallye would have a slightly lower suspension. Light weight Steel wheels painted in white or black with tyres which are more sporting weighted rather than durability weighted.
A reworked engine which has an extra 10 to 15 bhp but remains naturally aspirated (with perhaps a lighter flywheel and different timing).
Same gearbox but with different ratios.
slightly tighter ratio on the steering rack.

Basically a sportier feeling car that costs practically no more to build than a standard Up! and can slot on to the same production line.

Just putting light steel wheels on the car and dropping it another 15mm would be enough to noticeably improve the 50mph to 70mph time as the drag would be reduced thanks to a lower CDa.

The turbo is a bad idea -> it adds many hundreds of euro to the production cost of the car, adds nose weight and complexity which impacts reliability and handling.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Slightly off topic, I know, but does anybody have any performance/economy data for the 1.0 TSI? I'm interested in how it compares in the Polo against the 1.2 TSI 90.

·
Registered
164 Posts
First he touched Mitsubishi, which dominated the Dakar Rally until 2008 and Volkswagen with the Touareg TDI, crushed in 2009, 2010 and 2011, and by 2009, Mitsubishi had migrated to the Diesel engine, spent shame, and and in the following years he was out of competition.

Later, Citröen which dominated the WRC, and was crushed by VW with the Polo R from 2013, which is unbeatable, we don't need imitations:
http://www.volkswagen-motorsport.com/index.php?id=48&L=1

Now in 2014 VW with the Polo R continues crushing all:
http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/results/championship/teams/page/195-290---.html

·
Registered
164 Posts
Umiamz said:
Slightly off topic, I know, but does anybody have any performance/economy data for the 1.0 TSI? I'm interested in how it compares in the Polo against the 1.2 TSI 90.
New 1.0 litre 3-cylinder TSI®

The new 3-cylinder TSI® engine represents a consistent continuation of
the Volkswagen downsizing strategy. The next evolution stage for the
EA211 engine family will be implemented step by step in A0 (Polo) and A
class vehicles (Golf). The charge exchange and injection components of
the 3-cylinder TSI® that have been further developed as against the
4-cylinder engine form the basis for more efficient combustion with
faster conversion of energy.

Like the familiar highly-efficient and dynamic 4-cylinder engines, the
3-cylinder TSI® combines low exhaust gas emissions with low fuel
consumption without compromising on driving pleasure.

The 1.0 litre TSI®, which is initially being fitted in the Polo and the
Golf in three power ratings, expands the existing modular system
consisting of 3-cylinder MPI and 4-cylinder TSI® engines. With
turbocharging and direct injection the 3-cylinder engine has power
output of 85 kW in the Golf and 70***** and 81 kW respectively in the
Polo. The maximum torque is 160 Nm for the 70 kW variant and 200 Nm for
the engines with higher power ratings. This enables the 1.0 litre TSI®
to achieve dynamic performance coupled with very low fuel consumption.

***** Polo 1.0 TSI BlueMotion ""“ the vehicle is not yet on sale. It does
not yet have full type approval and is therefore not subject to
directive 1999/94/EC. Provisional figures: fuel consumption (combined)
in l/100 km: 4.1; CO2 emissions (combined) in g/km: 94.

http://www.volkswagenag.com/content/vwcorp/info_center/en/news/2014/05/downsizing.html

In the cited article the 1.2 TSI, not appear and will be discontinued and replaced by the new 1.0 TSI, which is more powerfull and economic.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/octavia/62525/skoda-octavia-12-tsi

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
and in real money, 70, 81 and 85 Kw = 94,108 and 114 bhp

·
Registered
63 Posts
An UP! Rallye would work for me. Where do I sign up?

I was pretty gutted about VW dropping the GT. I had seriously considered trading in my 5 door when the time would come. I even asked my dealer to contact me when they knew it would arrive. This was less than 6 months into the UP's launch here, and the future still looked bright. haha

The UP! is already great fun to drive as is, but the tweaks promised by the GT, especially a more robust 6sp manual and extra oomph from the turbo would have been the icing on the cake! But the 'superlaggera' approach would be a fair consolation. Well almost.

·
Registered
309 Posts
If they produced an Up Rallye, people would think back to the '90's Golf Rallye, which was supercharged, low, fast and had wild bodywork. So what you describe would probably just disappoint. Nice idea but tweaking the engine would cost lots in development, probably the same as adding a turbo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts