Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Mr and Mrs Mods

Please can you tell me why posts would be edited by a moderator?

If someone replies to me and their response is then edited by a moderator, I am a bit worried that they have made an inappropriate, rude or unacceptable comment about something or other. If this is the case then I am a bit anxious (maybe not the right word, but it's early) that other users have may have seen this comment directed at or about me and that I haven't! If this is the case I would rather ignore any posts that particular person makes, or in extreme circumstances leave the forum.

I can understand polls etc being moderated, but there appear to be quite a few posts being edited just lately by other than the poster.

Thanks guys, you do a great job and give up much of your time, but if I have a bad feeling about something I think it's better just to ask the question

·
Registered
727 Posts
bugbabe34 said:
Please can you tell me why posts would be edited by a moderator?

but if I have a bad feeling about something I think it's better just to ask the question

So why not ask the mod in question directly via a private message..?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because I thought the answer might be interestIng to others. I wanted a generic response, not one specific to any one person

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Mine have been edited by moderator due to spelling as I asked them why! I was mis spelling Climatic (as in air con)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Si. I had no idea a mod would edit due to spelling! A never ending job for them then.

But I'm guessing there might be other reasons too!

Edited by: bugbabe34

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
We were never that strict on the EOS club site, I used to be a moderator on there, as well as chief techy about the roof... gonna miss that!

·
Registered
727 Posts
As a mod on a large forum we had a hands-off policy about editing spelling errors (except in thread titles for reasons of subject clarity).

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
eye guess ewe our write :)

·
Registered
705 Posts
It is nearly all spelling mistakes, grammar and syntax. There has been no need to delete comments, so far.

Nick

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm a mod on another forum, and the idea of editing someone's post for incorrect spelling and grammar seems a tad heavy-handed to me. I've never come across a forum where posts are corrected for such things. It smacks a little of being back at school...

I'm particularly anal about spelling and punctuation, but even so, I don't consider it necessary to alter mistakes in posters' comments, even if it makes my OCD levels go off the scale. This is a lovely little fun forum.Lighten up a little, guys!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Why don't we have a little poll? Should mods correct spelling and grammar or not? Me, I'd vote no.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have to agree with Elb in that this is being somewhat heavy handed. We all make spelling mistakes at some point or another but that doesn't generally detract from the meaning of a post or prevent others from understanding it.

It's also what makes each person's posts individual and unique and sometimes has quite comic (in a laughing with sense, rather than laughing at) or interesting results (such as my new favourite word created on here recently - automagically).

I don't mean to be rude or ungrateful for the amount of work you guys put into the forum and I'm absolutely sure it isn't meant like this but it does smack a bit of making the most of exercising additional forum privileges.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't mean to be rude or unappreciative of the mods either! *Slaps self for knowing better*

I prefer to think of it as very keen folk just settling into the job...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Some people must have a lot of time on their hands!

Just moderate the forum sensibly ie be there to deal with offensive posts etc and call it a day at that.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I'm happy to admit that I've been a little heavy-handed, so I'll stop the corrections.

Nick

·
Registered
956 Posts
Elb said:
I don't mean to be rude or unappreciative of the mods either! *Slaps self for knowing better*

I prefer to think of it as very keen folk just settling into the job...

Yes, you're probably right there (hope I didn't offend anyone)

·
Registered
956 Posts
Anyway, seems that bad words aren't limited to written format. Just watching The One Show and listening to Sir Steve Redgrave talking about someone doing him a "disjustice" ?? Still knew what he meant though

1 - 20 of 26 Posts