Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yes - I had exactly the same problem (using a Mac). No fixes discovered so far, but you could call Navigon customer services on 0203 364 5669 and ask them what to do. They're open Mon - Sat 7AM - 7PM.

I can't try again at present as my m&m brokewhen I updated the software(frozen on first screen and won't even turn off, except with a 'hard reset') . None of Navigon's suggested fixes worked, and VW couldn't do a manufacturer's reset either, so are replacing the unit, which was working perfectly and was very impressive, before I attempted the software update!

Mac users - apparently, according to Navigon's website, we have to do a firmware upgrade before downloading the latest updates. The ONLY way to do this is to a) use a Windows pc (!!!) b) use a micro SD card.

Edited by: Violet

·
Registered
107 Posts
A further thought ... as I understand Navigon's instructions, you have to have registered your device first to do this, although I was able to enter the code and get the reduced price without (knowingly!) having registered. It was however - as you describe - at the payment stage that the app hung indefinitely.

All the links I found for registering were broken (leading to a 'page not found' sign), and the generic registration page doesn't have the facility to register my m&m. Can anyone provide a working link for registering our m&ms please?

Lovejimbo - were you able to register your m&m before trying to redeem the voucher? If not, you might want to try that?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Pleased to read that I am not going mad!!!

I downloaded Navigon Fresh and downloaded all the updates on M + M with no issues. Windows 7 PC with plenty grunt so no PC issues huge downlaods to update the satnav with the latest maps so if you have a capped broadband service you could have a problem.

Trying to purchase the 2 year update service has been impossible. I have tried different credit cards,visa & mastercards all with good credit limits and the system gives an error message every time after trying to take payment.

I contacted Navigon helpline (as an aside the phone number given with M+ M is wrong)and they asked that I delete Navigon Fresh, disable the firewall and antivirus and reload. I did all that with no change in end result.

I contacted VW customer service and they informed me that there was nothing they could do as it was not there system. Navigon then suggested that I purchase the update from the the main Navigon website and use the result code to download the update from Navigon Fresh. Sadly this did not work as I still had the same problem with the payments system. I wondered if the problem was with the resgistration page. My home address has no house number just a name, a house number is a must have field in the registered address portion of the website. I used the plot number of my home to get round this. However I wonder if as the address on my payment cards is without this number andNavigon tries to get authorisation using the adress fromNavigon it fails as the adress is incorrect. Or is the problem a german site trying to get payment from an English bank and it times out.

Maybe using paypal is the answer but seems a pain to have to register with paypal to make a one off payment.

Current I have been asked by Navigon helpline to give them my address to see if this is the issue. Frustrating as my M+M is saying the voucher code will expire in a few days.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi Finallyup

You are definitely not going mad. I'm really sorry I can't help in your time frame by trying again this end: VW is now replacing my M&M unit, but they can't get it in before I go on holiday, so won't have it now until the 3rd week in May, and you need the unit to connect through Navigon Fresh.

A few suggestions:
<ul>[*]try purchasing the 2 year updates on another computer - maybe if you have a laptop, or could borrow a friend's - and see if that works? [*]tell Navigon that you purchase other things online with your card regularly, but don't have the same problem doing so on other sites (certainly that is the case with me). That would indicate the issue is their end, rather than locally with you.[*]Could they take your payment by phone (or - less likely - by cheque?) instead of over the net, as a lot of companies do? [*]If not, if it were meI would ask them for an extension to the offer until the issue is fixed as, having tried everything you have and the above, there's not more you can do, your end, and you are entitled to get the updates at the offer price, and they have to do their bit to enable that![*]Register for PayPal and delete your PayPal account once payment has been successfully processed. A bit of a nuisance - but in my view worth it for the saving on the 2 year subscription offer.[/list]
I have to say my faith in Navigon's IT prowess is a somewhat dented, as simply downloading an update through their site (whether on a Mac or pc) should absolutely not be able to break the unit beyond even VW repair! VW said it is a "known problem". Also, I found several broken links on their site - I manage and design websites, including in the past for a large corporate, and that doesn't give a lot of confidence in their professionalism or responsiveness in that area, or in their design skills. Viz: where is the registration page please? Maybe I'm being thick - but I couldn't access it - all the links to 'registration' were broken, the only one I found didn't enable selecting M&M as the device!

Lots of good luck - do let us know how you get on!

·
Registered
655 Posts
WHAT A USELESS SYSTEM!!!! I am using a macbook pro and it doesn't allow the download once you select payment type...it just freezes. I don't know what to do!!!

It seems a primitive system to say the least...you login...enter the code and when it comes to payment in either form it freezes and won't allow any details to be entered.

Has anyone actually bought this discounted package!? I can upgrade the maps for free no issue....JUST NOT download the upgrade with the code in the box.

PLEEEEAAASE someone help!!!
Edited by: MarkyMark

·
Registered
107 Posts
Have you upgraded the M&M firmware? There are instructions on the Navigon site - bizarely though, this has to be done on a pc (or by micro SD) and can't be done on the Mac. I can't try because my m&m is broken (apparently this is a 'known problem') and is being replaced, and you need it working for Navigon Fresh to recognise the unit. Not sure if that would help, but I plan to take my laptop (MacBook Air) to VW when I pick it up, and go through the whole process with them there, so that they can report the problem back to Navigon and hopefully get it fixed for all Mac owners.

Also - have you registered the unit (all the links to do this were broken or not appropriate, as far as I could find). This is ridiculous as M&M is supposed to be compatible with Macs and Navigon Fresh is just a web application, so their developers should test it on all platforms before releasing it.

Meanwhile, as I suggested above, has anyone with this problem tried calling Navigon and seeing if they'll accept a credit card payment by phone? - good luck.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Well i managed to update the software on mine...it crashed after but then shows as being the most up to date one...My device also shows as registered so no issue here. The problem is once you go through to pay it just loads and loads!! Nothing happens!! I will call them tomorrow and see what excuse I am given. Any company that hasn't developed Mac users in mind is mad, so so so many people use them so what an oversight!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yes, I had that problem too. You might wantto mention, when you talk to them, that updating/upgrading on a Mac is a 'known problem' according to VW repairs - , so they might want to fix it .... fast!!! They say it's compatible with Macs, but obviously it isn't (very!). Lots of good luck and do let us know how you get on!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Which browser are you using on the MAC?

As a fellow Macuser I know that sometimes sites are not safari friendly and through up weird behaviour or do not load. I have installed Firefox to use on those occasions. If you have not tried it, see whether that works.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion Roadrunner. I use Safari but also have Firefox, Chrome, Opera and Sunrise installed (I manage and design websites, so check my sites in different browsers). However, this particular problem, being unable to buy the subscription using the discount code, is with Navigon Fresh, which, as M&M is OSX compatible, should be platform-agnostic.

But clearly they're aware it's not, viz Navigon's note about updating the firmware of M&M to download the latest maps and VW saying my broken M&M through using Navigon Fresh is a 'known problem'. To get the discount for two years' subscription, (as far as I understand it) you have to go through the Navigon Fresh application (rather than a browser), so changing browser wouldn't help in this instance.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi Violet,

thanks I will have a think. You could check your firewall as depending what setting you have in the preferences for security it could be blocking the Navigon Fresh.

What version of OSX are you on?

·
Registered
8 Posts
worked ok for me . ? i paid for my updates first time about a month ago ,,windows /,c card. must say though the sat nav did do a big update and it would only reboot if it was plugged in or fully charged and connecting it to the pc just put it into pc mode luckily i have a mains usb plug thing and it rebooted then andfinishedthe install

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi

I'm on OSX - the latest version of Snow Leopard on the iMac, and Lion on my laptop. I suppose it could be a firewall issue, but I use the web all the time and it's many years now since that's been a problem with any sort of functionality, including purchases. I'll have my replacement M&M around 21st, so if the problems persist that's certainly sthg to try thanks, if no-one else has found the solution before that!Edited by: Violet

·
Registered
143 Posts
Violet,

OK, this is how I check on my MAC, but I have OSX 10.7 (Lion) installed so it may be slightly different. You will need to be the administrator or known the account details and password to do this.

In FINDER go to applications
Open System Preferences
Select Security and Privacy
Here it will show you if the Firewall is switched on
If locked unlock by clicking on the padlock in the bottom left hand corner
Select Advanced

This will let you see what the firewall is set up to do.

Mine is set in the middle to automatically allow signed software, If yours is set the same you could press add and add the Navigon software and give it privileges for access. That may work.

Also which Antivirus package do you use?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Wow!

Don't have the car yet but I'm not looking forward to all this tech stuff!

I've got a mac book and a PC so I think I'll unpack the PC for any upgrade stuff!

Am I the only one that thinks the dealers should be making any device that comes as standard with a car ready to go right from the off COMPLETE with any upgrades available at that time!
I can understand the "its not our system" bit but surely they are fitting it to their cars so have to take some responsiblity.

·
Registered
655 Posts
SO...Just spoke to Navigon who were very helpful and said they had heard of this issue from several customers and are aware of it...they are investigating and happily extended my time with the voucher for a month and said it would be extended until this is resolved...so we shall see!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I actually managed to update my M&M to latest software, register it, buy the FreshMaps 2y udpates and create a back up with no problems! Was dreading attempting it after reading your experiences but seemed to go smoothly. Also paired two mobiles which played music through the M&M and I could make a call through it even in the house!
All I need to do now is connect it and take my car out for its first outing ..............

1 - 20 of 49 Posts