Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi New to this and hope I have this in the right place.

Last July we purchased the Up and i noted the front discs were grabbing the wheels while braking. The dealer sent out several people who all said nonsense. But I insisted and the MOT guy found they were indeed warped. He apologised after all he passed it earlier that week. They are a main Seat dealer. They said they would replace the discs. They noted they had in fact already replaced the pads but would do these as well. The car is 2015 model and in July 2018 had 17,000 on the clock. It was bought for my daughter and we told the garage we needed a safe run about for her.

She is often at sea and I get to run the car to the port she arrives in. So it has done most of the next 4000 miles on motorways so little use of the brakes. Yet I noticed not just grabbing in the end of June but also a nasty judder from the discs as we stopped going down hill from a reasonable speed.

I spoke to the garage who came up (ha ha) with a lot of excuses why new brakes would fail so quickly. Sadly for them I drive for a living so I look after the car. I also have 40 years driving experience and no such problems with any off my previous cars nor any I've driven for work.

I can find lots about the rear drums, which we did notice stuck the first time we parked and it rained so we have not used the hand brake since. It is left in neutral to stop the rear brakes sticking.

The garage handed out an MOT warranty with the car so I said would they MOT it and replace the brakes as the judder is horrendous and so marked you struggle to hold the wheel. They said it passed the MOT so no replacement!

I pointed out they gave me a 12 month warranty that stated "All Component Warranty" with no * or small print. I tracked this down and talked to the warranty company who said... NO the parts fitted by the main dealer were pattern not original!

I did get them replaced less said about how the better!

My question is has anyone else had any problems with the front disks warping. This being what was again wrong. The brakes were almost new! over 3000 of the 4000 miles being on a motorway.

My second question is how in the world do we stop this happening again as they will only refit the same pattern parts.

My Berlingo (yes i know someone had to) has done over 155000 miles with my daughter learning to drive on it, my wife and I driving it in a 70 30 split had only I think one change of disks and I think 2 changes of pads and no problems they simply wore away over the last 15 years.

Obviously next year I cant afford to change the disks and pads again on the Up.

Thank you and sorry for the essay.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Heard a lot about warped discs on the 60 & 75bhp pre-facelift Up models.
My own 15 reg 75bhp High Up suffered from the same when it was about 2 years old, BUT, strangely, only when they were really hot.
Once they'd cooled, the warping that produced a pronounced judder went away. Twice when going in for a service I mentioned it (at around 11000 and 19000 miles, but when they tested the discs for runout when cold, they showed little or no warping to cause the judder.
I'm the same as you, with 47 years driving experience, including 17 years rallying, and for 15 years of my career, more than 40000 miles a year.
I KNOW when discs have warped.
Weirdly, my wife's similar aged 2015 High Up 75 bhp didn't suffer from the same ailment, could have been the fact that she doesn't do as many miles as me, and certainly not as fast .
So mine wasn't down to pattern parts, but I tend to think the design of the disc wasn't up to the job in the first place.
On the subsequent Tsi's we both had (she still has her 1 year old 5-door,) neither showed any sign of warping, but the Tsi's do have bigger discs and calipers.
My Gti has even bigger of both, and the Gti brakes are stunningly good.
The only thing I can say is that it would be better to fit OE discs, and hope that they aren't as poor as the aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I've had brake judder on my Up GTI. It appeared at around 3K miles. Usual sort of story where there was brake pedal pulsation and steering wheel shake, most evident under light braking and more prevalent when hot. The terminology for disc warping is a funny one and really refers to the variation of thickness of the brake disc or run-out of the hub. In my case, I did notice that the discs didn't seem clean and smooth. I used some Wurth's Brake cleaner all over the discs and then took it out for a drive and did some pretty harsh braking. It sorted it out no end and the judder can no longer be felt when hot or cold.

·
Registered
147 Posts
We used to have an issue on our 2012 Seat Mii. The discs felt like they were warped, felt like one of the front brake discs was braking more than the other & if you braked & took your foot off the pedal ever so slightly you could feel you could feel an uneven pulsing on the brakes. I changed the front discs & pads which seemed to cure the issue ( could never understand how you could warp discs on a 75bhp car), but, sadly at a later date it returned.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
A lot of the time this "warping" is brake residue on the discs which is caused by holding the brakes on after a heavy stop like coming up a motorway slip road, stopping at the top and holding the car on the brake pedal. The heat then "burns" some of the brake material onto the disc and that's what you can feel when braking. I've had it happen before, learnt my lesson and try not to do it now.
Unless the discs are really made of cheese metal then it's quite hard to warp them, you'd have to get them super hot to get anywhere close.

Only way to remedy it is to have your discs skimmed or as above replace the lot.

·
Registered
237 Posts
VW fitted low quality discs on early Ups. Disgustingly, they did not admit it and they charged me the replacement discs. I have owned many cars from Fiat, Hyundai, Peugeot, etc. but I have never had such bad experience. This is why this Up was my first and last VW.

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Thank you NeilZA, for the link. I had looked but clearly not well enough.

From the old post people seem to suggest there may be a hub problem. Have people experience of this and does it fix the problem. Can someone who had the hubs looked at let me know what the dealer looked at or what you said to get them to check. Is this something a local VW garage might do if asked as the Seat one is so full of excuses they should write a service centre manual on 10 reasons for any customer complaint to be fobbed off.

I know what is coming if I go back to the Seat dealer in 11 or 12 months it will be your driving style again as they tried to say this time on such a low mileage.

Yes we do all use the hand brake when we stop not hold the car on the foot brake we were taught in the old days. I was also taught cadence braking going down hill so as not to over heat them. I regularly run the car to my office if its not in use by my daughter each week or two to ensure it gets regular use. Bring in work before 06:30 I meet little or no traffic on the roads but is should help keep discs rust free.

I have out side a car with I'm told brand new discs, pads, and just 8 miles done on them. What do people recommend to keep them in good condition and not need to change them for a long time.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
VW fitted low quality discs on early Ups. Disgustingly, they did not admit it and they charged me the replacement discs. I have owned many cars from Fiat, Hyundai, Peugeot, etc. but I have never had such bad experience. This is why this Up was my first and last VW.
“Disgustingly” most vehicles are fitted with the cheapest parts that the manufacturer can get away with.

Particularly in a cheap city car like the Up.

Spare parts are where the money is made. The front discs warped on my Ferrari at 24,000 miles and new ones were £800 for a pair.
I got them skimmed for £30 and they were fine after that.
A lot of the problems are due to the non asbestos brake linings.

Not sure l would describe it as “disgusting” more a fact of life.... warped discs? change them. Easy job, both sides of a VW Up in twenty minutes
Parts cost around £50

Just be glad it’s not a Ferrari

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I have outside a car with I'm told brand new discs, pads, and just 8 miles done on them. What do people recommend to keep them in good condition and not need to change them for a long time.
Regular driving and don't hold the car on the pedal after a hard braking instance.

One trick to try if you ever do feel "warping" again is to go out for a drive, find somewhere deserted and do some hard 50-0 braking. When I say hard i really do mean make it stand on its nose braking. That in some cases can get rid of what might be residue left from pads off the disc, worked for me before now. If it doesn't then they're a bit worse and could do with being replaced.

As lightning above said be glad it's a fairly cheap to run city car. My old Boxster S had to have it's front discs and pads doing and that was about a £350 bill just for the fronts. The only reason they needed replacing was that the last owner hadn't used the car too often and the inside face had started to corrode which is a common problem when they're sat for a time.

·
Registered
237 Posts
“Disgustingly” most vehicles are fitted with the cheapest parts that the manufacturer can get away with.

The discs of all of the above mentioned types lasted at least two times longer than the discs of the Up.
So VW fits the cheapest parts.

Particularly in a cheap city car like the Up.
The service bill for the Up was the most expensive among the above mentioned types.
So VW is the most expensive among these types.

If VW asks the highest price for the lowest quality, then I call it rip-off, and this is why this Up was my last VW. I do not like to be a dupe.

Nevertheless you are free to spend your money on whatever you want, be it a VW or a Ferrari.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Service for the Up is practically free compared to Porsche and Ferrari prices.

Service on a Mondial t? That’ll be £2,000....so long as the water pump is OK
If not it’s an extra £750

Service on the Up GTi is £170
Expensive? I don’t know, Porsche wanted
£800 for the annual service on my 928 S4

Lowest quality? Can’t say l agree with you there. Our Up is really nicely made and in a different league to other mainstream cars we have owned
Fiat, Renault, Ford (although it was a MK1 Ka)
My Ford van went through discs and pads pretty much annually
Fortunately l was able to change them myself.
And as for Alfa Romeo experience? Don’t talk to me about poor quality, l had three of those from new and they spent more time in the dealer than on my drive.
Discs warped after 5,000 the only solution was to get them skimmed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts