Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there
Has anyone found the answer to the "height" problem on the passenger front seat belt. I find when iam a passenger,the seat belt is in the wrong position in relation to my chest (which isnot very comfortable). As there is no height adjustment on the car pillar and no pannenger seat height adjustment on my car, has anyone thought of how to make beltingUP! for thefront passenger more comfortable??????????

Thanks for any data on subject?????????

Happy motoring............

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, i will check it out........

Cheers

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Miketedl

I just looked, but they only extend the seat belt itself. The problem is the lack of "HEIGHT" adjustment coming down from the car pillar. The angle is just not adjustable, therefore cuts accross neck and chest rather than just chest. I dont have anyproblems on the drivers side, due to the height adjustment facility on the seat, which is not available on the passengers side. I just thought since the car has a "TOP" NCAP rating that seat belt comfort/adjustment/safety should be part of the safety testing procedures.........

·
Registered
125 Posts
I see on your car spec you say rear parcel shelf fix . what is this as I am screaming for a parcel shelf lifter

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi, i used the following:
(1) piece of strong black cord
(2) DIY white hook
(3) small washer
(4) small drill for hole in parcel shelf
(4) araldite

cut to appropriate length (trial and error), feed through hole in shelf, feed a small washer on to it and just tie double knot, attach hook (near the black cable for rear window) and then attach to hook, i just done one side and it was fine. i used araldite to make a loop for the cord. you can stick the hook or use superglu as it will be staying there -

just get the cord nice and tight in the opening position -

cheap and easy - works a treat

happy motoring.......

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi.
My wife has shoulder/neck problems. Our previous cars have been Polos which lately had a height adjuster on the door pillar. Not so the UP! I am aware of her constantly pulling the strap off her neck - and blaming my driving! In the depths of my mind I vaguely remembered seeing adjusters for this and Googled it. I eventually found this product on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/SUPPORT-CLIPS-STOPS-SEATBELT-SCRATCHING/dp/B007A3MPAI/ref=pd_sim_auto_5

I have just ordered a set (pack of two £5.99). They are available in the States as well. They appear to clip over the lap part of the strap and move the diagonal outwards ie away from the neck and on to the middle of the shoulder - not to be confused with seatbelt tension adjusters of which there are several listed.

So will be trying these out next week. Apart from that we think the UP! is an economical and brilliantly designed Tardis on wheels!

Regards
Philip

UPDATE: 15/07/03 - Adjusters arrived today - from JWBestprice via Amazon, two days earlier than estimated free delivery. Don't look much for the money but seem well designed and easy to fit and do move the seat belt away from the neck and into the middle of the shoulder. I note the link I gave now seems to reference the same product but from "Nannies Toys"!

Edited by: Philmet

·
Registered
583 Posts
Is it the seatbelt that's the issue, or the relative lack of shoulder support on the up! seats ?

While VW can design some pretty good seats, those in the up seem to be designed by the bean counters.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe two main probs;
First prob is there is no seat belt adjustment on pillar
Second on my High Up there is no seat height adjustment

Making a comfortable adjustment difficult

·
Registered
1 Posts
I COMPLETELY agree and have just been back to the dealer to ask if there were any retro fit options from them as I don't want to try out loads of gadgets that may not work. They were VERY nice and studied the issue from all angles but their suggestion was - sit on a cushion! I am finding this quite upsetting actually as it is adversely affecting my enjoyment of my new car. i did not notice this as a problem on the test drive as it was colder and I was wearing a scarf.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts