Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone doing a front speaker replacement on their up! will find a smattering of info on this forum, but nothing to suit a typical install. So, having just completed such a swap, I hope I can add to the general pool of knowledge.

Now I know Stainless has produced a beautifully illustrated guide to adding speakers to a basic up! but it was no good for me. Why? Principally because he re-used the existing speaker enclosures, so affording no guidance to those who want to remove entirely the old speaker and replace with new.

So, some hopefully useful points for budding speakophiles.........

Firstly, my VW dealer, when buying clips for the job, downloaded and printed me a jobsheet for doorcard removal. Complete with pictures and tools required! Truly impressive! If it is deemed helpful, I could scan and upload it .

Now, bear in mind this jobsheet was produced from my number plate to be specific to my vehicle. Which suggests there might be tiny differences to your up!

Not withstanding the above, here goes. First job, remove 2 hidden hex screws, one in the door handle recess, the other just under the grab handle. The cover can be eased off with a very fine screwdriver, nail file or whatever you can fit into the outer gap. Get it in the right place and it will come out easily.

Next, those clips. VW part no. 5J0867276 at 66p each. Much cheaper than those bags of four sold on EBay, and definitely the right part. Why do you need clips? Just in case! I bought 6, there are 11 on each door. I figured I might break a few. I didn't, but had the back-up supply just in case. Why didn't I break any? Because I took my time, had a special door trim removal hook tool (couple of pounds from a tool stall at a market - try Amazon etc) and finally, because the clips aren't a cheap brittle plastic, but a quality VW item.

I started at the top, but I'm not sure it really matters. The first clip is the scariest - need something to ease away the door trim to try and locate one of the black clip lugs - anything thin will do that can slip behind and ease away the card. Put in a spacer to hold the card about a cm away from the door, and ease along the card.When you spot a lug, slip the tool against the clip and lever gently. The clip will either come out with a bit of a bang, or it will come away from the clip lug, remaining firmly in the door. Not to worry, you can lever it out later and re-insert it in the lug.

Be very clear that the black lug is firmly part of the door card - the clip you are trying to dislodge is against the metal door. It is white, with a black rubber washer, but not much of the white will be visible at this stage.

There are now only 2 things stopping you from now removing the card from the door - a securing clip located at the rear end of the card, about half way down, and a mysterious little plastic nut, cunningly hidden under the card parcel space. If you lie on your back under the door and look up, you will see the slot. As the nut is also black, it may not be too obvious. You don't remove this nut, merely turn it 90 degrees to release tension. I did not find this too obvious, so fiddled with the card until I could feel the card release. 10mm spanner for this.

The securing clip should be released by sliding the door card forwards, but the door handle cable stops it going far enough, so you will have to slide the card forward, while bending the card slightly to reduce its length. All being well (and a few swear words later) the card will be free. Unhook the window winder button connection ( curiously, I only had to do this on the passenger side) and the card can be swung away from the speaker area. I put a luggage strap around the door to hold it in place. It cannot be removed without you doing some further tricky and unnecessary operations, so leave it as is and concentrate on the remarkably low-fi speaker that VW have provided.

Squeeze and remove the speaker connector.You need a 5mm hss drill to remove the 4 rivets. Ideally, 5mm to remove the heads, then 4mm to drill out the bodies, held from behind with pliers to stop them spinning. Remove speaker, treat holes with whatever you have to prevent rust on any metal you may have exposed and then note, smugly, that from here, things are going to get better.

I chose Infinity Reference 6532i speakers as they have been recommended on here. To fit them, you need a cable adaptor and a speaker adaptor.The speaker adaptor is CT25VW07, not as others have recommended on here, but this is the right part. About £11, EBay etc. The cable adaptor, which allows you to plug straight in to the existing wiring without cutting, soldering, swearing etc is CT55-VW02. About £5, usual places.

Using a suitable size drill, drill a hole through the rings of the speaker adaptor. This is to pass the wires through for the speaker. Then, using M5 bolts and nylock nut, (20mm should be ample, less will do) fix the adaptor ring to the door. Position your drilled hole somewhere where you know you can reach the speaker terminals with the wire. Plug in your CT55-VW02 adaptor and feed the two wires through the drilled hole. Attach to the speaker terminals and secure your speaker to the adaptor with 4 short self tapping screws. Sorry I can't give sizes here as I fished mine out of my screw tub.

And there you have it - reassemble everything (goes back much quicker than taking off) - don't forget to reattach winder connection, plus any clips you left in the metal door, and you're on your way.

Good luck!

Wow, lots of words!! Bound to be some oversights, errors etc. But I hope it helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks, very useful. I'm thinking of getting an Up, and would probably change the speakers if it didn't already have the sound pack. I for one would find the jobsheet useful - I have removed door cards before and it can be a scary job if you don't know where all the clips, screws etc. are!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd love to upload the jobsheet, but the site won't seem to allow pdf uploads and also seems hard going uploading as images. It's not very user friendly! If anyone can guide me here........

Just a thought - is the sound pack more, better quality, speakers, or simply more of the standard quality? If so, £100 is a lot of money!

Edited by: snes

·
Registered
71 Posts
Good details on the job of removing the door card but unfortunately this job looks too scary and is not for me!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks snes, looks similar to when I did it on a Ford. That time I did break a few of the clips despite using an appropriate tool, but maybe the VAG ones are more robust.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
It is a relatively easy job...I managed it so it must be easy!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Privatedoc said:
It is a relatively easy job...I managed it so it must be easy!
Agreed. While we appreciate all the details above, they do make the job look a lot scarier than it is. I stripped both doors, Dynamatted them and installed the new speakers in about 90 minutes. No instructions, no special tools.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts