Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, a big thank you to 'Stainless' for his excellent thread on upgrading speakers. I'm not going to repeat any of that, just add some extra info for anyone wanting to add tweeters in the A-pillar.

My car didn't come with a sound pack, so I've had to modify the A-pillar to take a tweeter and run new wiring. This was actually quite simple.

The speakers I've installed are Hertz ECX 165 with speaker pods in the main door, plus Hertz HT20R super tweeters in the A-pillar.

I started by removing the door panel, as shown by 'Stainless'.

The A-pillar just unclips; this is probably the easiest part to remove!

On the right-hand-side A-pillar there is also a wire to the alarm LED that has to be unplugged to take the A-pillar off, seen on the right of this picture. There is also cut-out sponge circle, nicely prepared by VW for tweeter space!

I marked the centre of this circle, drilled a pilot hole, then drilled a 32mm hole to take the tweeter. (I also put masking tape over the outer side of the panel to protect it).

The tweeter was a tight push-fit and didn't need any of the supplied securing parts:

Having already drilled out the rivets and removed the standard speakers, I put sound-deadening matting on the inside of the door behind the speaker:

Now the wiring needs to be run from the tweeter into the main door. I found this could be done easily by removing the door mirror (two large bolts holding it in place) and pushing the wire through the gap where the door mirror cable runs. In the following picture the A-pillar and tweeter are on the other side of the door so you can see the wiring coming through the door and going downwards:

The A-pillar can now be clipped back into place, but note that the wiring must be fully pulled down into the lower door and the mirror bolts tightened:

Wiring was then attached to the crossover, which was attached using Velcro tape to the sound-deadening panel:

The speaker pod was attached to the door using standard speaker clips and screws, the wiring attached to the speaker and the speaker attached to the pod:

Checked that sound worked... it didn't. The speaker attachments must have been shorting on the metal of the door, so I pushed them down, put electrical tape over them and refitted. All fine. So put door panel back on.

Now the only clue there's something a little different is the tweeter in the A-pillar:

And the sound! Now balanced and lively rather than dull, and the tweeters bring the soundstage up to the panel level.

Still need to fit speakers to the back doors, but not really necessary now, so that job can wait until I have more time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way; you can buy new A-pillars with the tweeter grill if you don't want tweeters visible, but I think they come with a tweeter as a package and are probably quite expensive. Personally I think the tweeters are actually quite discreet, maybe more so than it looks in the pictures.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Enriquez said:
I installed the new pillars with VW tweeters - cost 30 EUR/pc
Hi,

What do you think of the quality of the VW tweeters, are they worth the money?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Enriquez said:
I installed the new pillars with VW tweeters - cost 30 EUR/pc
How did you wire them up to the existing speakers in the doors?

·
Registered
101 Posts
They look awesome - never thought of positioning the tweeter unit there.

Well looks like I'm going to demote my Infinity's to the rear (one day) and get my hands on some of these Hertz units!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well done and thanks for the information about A-pilars with tweeters.I am going to use my Hertz ones for sure.By the way you can have a look at my Up white in video section-VW Up White Hertz.........Thanks

·
Registered
251 Posts
Does anyone know if the 6-speaker upgrade option actually provides better main speakers, or do they just leave the paper-cone things in and slap some tweeters in the A pillars?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Jalna!

Thanks for the description.
I have one question.
The Hertz ECX 165 has a own tweeter on the main speaker.
You connect a additional tweeter parallel to the ECX 165 with a 2-way crossover?
Does it work with 4 tweeters now?

Thanks,
Klaus

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Klaus,
Yes! The tweeters I used are called super-tweeters; which work in the range 6K upwards.
My intention was to start with a straight speaker replacement, but I was given the super-tweeters free and decided to use them as well. I think a component system would probably be a little better, but the equivalent price is significantly higher and the shop expert I spoke to said there wouldn't be much point going above the speakers I bought; significantly diminishing returns.
However, having put the tweeters in, the sound-stage is brought right up; much of the very high range from the lower speakers is probably lost, so the addition of 'extra' tweeters doesn't make the sound bright.
I think this partly explains why people who have the 6-speaker upgrade find the sound so much better; the extra front tweeters and rear speakers bring the sound up and 'into' the listening area.
One other thing; the cross-over for the tweeters has settings +/- 2db to vary the output. I used standard settings, which are fine.

I still have the rear speakers to put in (DCX165); but the sound is already so good it's not high on my priority list! When I do I'll post an update.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Jalna!
Thank you for your answer.
I have seen yesterday that my mechanical mirror adjustment in the a-pillar is at the same place like your tweeter. I think I have to remove the cover to look if enough space is there for the tweeters.
To remove the covers I have only to pull out? No screws?
Maybe you're in a good mood for answering my questions.
I hope my english is understandable.

Bye,
Klausl

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ah, I hadn't thought of that! If your car has the alarm LED in the cover, then take of the left hand side panel to check. The panel does just pull-off; quite easily.
From memory, I think there probably is room to fit the tweeter elsewhere, they're not usually very deep, but do also check that the wiring can be run without interfering with the mirror mechanism. If the wiring has to run close to the mechanism, you could tape it onto the door to keep it in place.
Hope that helps. Perhaps you could post your findings. Thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Had a quick look and that seems like an excellent choice; very good reviews and the right value point for an up! It looks like the tweeters could also be surface mounted so if there isn't space to inset the tweeters, that may be an option for you.
Cheers, Jalna

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you were to order an Up! with manual mirrors, how would VW fit the £100 speaker upgrade, if it requires the tweeters to be fitted to where the mirror stalk sits?

I have only had my car two days, but am seriously going to look at somewhere to fit some rear speakers (that doesn't require butchering the car) so as to improve the 'backfill' I am used to.

Unfortunately I had to order my car in a rush, and take what was in stock - and there were no Move's with the speaker upgrade ready to go.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello Mangham54!

The original tweeters VW are mounted in the a-pillar not in the position of the manual mirror adjustment.
I will try to mount the tweeter into the door because its easier to pull the cables from sub to tweeter.
I hope you understand my english?

Bye,
Klausl

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've been watching all these posts. My car has the sound pack but there are no speakers in the A pillars.
Was this a mistake or what? My up was built in exactly a year ago

1 - 20 of 33 Posts