Up Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this sounds really stupid but I cannot get the fuel cap open no matter what I do. I turn the key anticlockwise (left) and that locks the cap and stops it from moving and when I turn the key clockwise (right) that unlocks the cap and allows it to spin round. But I cannot get the thing out and I don't understand what it is that I'm not doing and now I'm nearly out of petrol so I'm getting desperate.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
There is another thread on this forum which gives the answer to this.

http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/cant-open-fuel-cap_topic2648.html

Hold the cap that turns with one hand while you turn the key anti-clockwise with the other hand. Then, remove the key and then turn the cap anticlockwise and it will come off easily. It's a two-handed job!<br style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">To put cap on, screw it clockwise until you hear a loud click. Then support the cap with one hand and put the key in and turn it clockwise with the other hand. Then remove key and the cap should then freely turn without unscrewing itself - it is now locked.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've already read that thread and it doesn't help because it says to turn it anticlockwise with the key but when I do that it locks the cap so that it doesn't move at all and the key won't go any further round in that direction.

·
Registered
540 Posts
It shouldn't lock it going anti-clockwise (lefty loosy, righty tighty).

I have no reason to doubt what you're saying, but as you're facing it, turning the key anti-clockwise definitely locks it?

EDIT: ah, seen you've worked it out. IT's a little fiddly but you get used to it. My Mito used to have the same thing and it would take ages sometimes to get it to click.

Edited by: Fidel_Castronaut

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Simple, left to lock the HANDLE, remove key then unscrew cap,

Fill up

Screw cap back in til clicks then HOLD CAP, Iinsert key and turn right, remove key and ha,ndle should now spin

·
Registered
10 Posts
I struggled to fill up my new up,,,, looked a bit of an idiot consulting the manual just so I could fill up the car ,,,,

·
Registered
325 Posts
Fortunately, my previous car (Fabia) had exactly the same filler cap so it came as no surprise :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Welcome to the world of old fashioned filler caps... These used to be the IN thing to have years ago until they started introducing the auto locking filler cap door.. (locks with Central Locking), wow such a wonder now back then lol.. now common place..

Us oldies remember these caps well...

Just remember... if the cap is spinning free, the cap is in its LOCKED position. i.e. Unable to remove the cap, because it just spins.
once you have turned the key in the cap lock and the cap stops spinning free then this is now in the UNLOCKED position. I.e. You are now able to unscrew the cap to gain access to the filler pipe.

·
Registered
252 Posts
It got me at first too, it felt like you were turning it the wrong way to lock or unlock it. The mrs got it right first time, but she has problems with our front door lock (and pretty much any lock or anything with a screw thread for that matter) so I stand by my feeling that it is counter intuitive!!!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
My wife .Also struggled with the key in the petrol cap .but did it in the end .
phill

·
Registered
448 Posts
We all get it in the end. Does it really matter
I think not!!

Enjoy!!

Go well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
shakotanVIP said:
I never bother locking my cap, I just don't see the point.
I do not lock mine either but I do live in quite a low car crime rate area of the UK. I've only ever locked my filler cap before if you had to, to keep it on place. I still remember the good old days when filler caps never had locks on then and you could buy a flexi cap from the petrol station if you lost yours that just squished in the hole. You also never filled your tank back then as hard turning meant fuel would leak out through the badly fitting cap

1 - 14 of 14 Posts