Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there
have recently take delivery of my white 75 blu mtn 5 dr UP with tints and full wheel. car has been fantastic so far.
Just one question that i could not find on forum:

Does the fuel cap LOCK when you lock the car? Thats after x1 press on the key and red LED flashes at the correct intervals implying that all is locked. I triedto open the fuel cap and found that it opens - is this correct - do i presume that as it requires a key to unlock it, that all is well?.

thanks for any info............

happy motoring............

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The key unlocks and locks the petrol cap. After filling up you must lock the cap with the key. Just turning it until it clicks does not lock it. Edited by: Beevee

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The key unlocks and locks the petrol cap. After filling up you must lock the cap with the key. Just turning it until it clicks does not lock it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tHi thanks

i actually mean the fuel FLAP as not thefuel CAP cap - misunderstanding

thanks

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Sorry. Yes the fuel flap does not lock which is why it is important to lock the fuel cap after filling.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Love your name by the way UPANDATEM. I wish I'd thought of that.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx just thought it fitted the UP! to a "T"

Cheers

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Beevee,

Thx for info. Just thought it might have been cost effective to have the FLAP lock along with the RCL, and therefore have a non KEY fuel cap (save a lot of confusion) - if you read all the fuel comments. Still those Germans know better i suppose.......

A fantastic car.....

·
Registered
397 Posts
Purpose of the lock is to prevent malicious addition to fuel and/or removal of fuel. A locking FLAP is rather a flimsy item at the best of times and could easily be forced open by anyone determined to gain access (as my daughter was grateful for when her central-locking FLAP froze up and she needed to re-fuel). A locking cap is much more secure.

·
Registered
179 Posts
PeterWestSussex said:
Purpose of the lock is to prevent malicious addition to fuel and/or removal of fuel. A locking FLAP is rather a flimsy item at the best of times and could easily be forced open by anyone determined to gain access (as my daughter was grateful for when her central-locking FLAP froze up and she needed to re-fuel). A locking cap is much more secure.

Exactly that. Flaps easy to break through. When the thieving scumbags see a locked cap, they'll hopefully go somewhere else!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thx for info

·
Registered
84 Posts
So the flap is not locked with the car? News to me. Thanks for the info.
But I'm not worried as nobody (not even fuel thiefs) expect this from new cars.
And I don't think stealing fuel is common in Norway. But I will remember to lock the cap when I'm abroad (especially when parking on the street during night time).

Edited by: stratcast

·
Registered
9 Posts
While we are on the topic I might mention something that not alot of people know.
The cap can be attached to the flap while fueling so that you prevent gasoline from the cap ruining the paint.

Not an Up but an Golf..same thing:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeh ur right - saves the paintwork etc.

Happy motoring....

·
Registered
261 Posts
You gotta luv dem Germans - not even the Japs have thought of this one?I haven't seen this feature on other marques or does anyone know different as a matter of interest?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
It must be a German thing it's on BMWs.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Bob Up said:
You gotta luv dem Germans - not even the Japs have thought of this one?I haven't seen this feature on other marques or does anyone know different as a matter of interest?
My last car ..Rover 75...year 2000had this. Although my wife always put the "cap" on the petrol pump and had to go back many times to reclaim it.DOH.Lucky forus it was always still there! Village garages were great....sadly gone now!
Go well.

·
Registered
705 Posts
BMW owned Rover at the time.

Nick

1 - 20 of 40 Posts