Up Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hold the fuel cap steady with one hand and with the other put the key in and turn anticlockwise. Remove the key and turn the cap anticlockwise. To replace put the cap on and turn clockwise. Hold it steady with one hand insert the key with the other hand and turn clockwise. Remove the key and turn the cap which should rotate but not come off. Hope this is clear enough, just remember you have to lock the cap with the key after filling up. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have tried all that but couldn't get it of lol. God I must be an idiot I spent ten minutes trying to get it of at the petrol station but no luvk :-( will have to try again my bf can do it but I cant :-(

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Don't panic. Suggest you keep trying before you need to visit the petrol station. Just take your time and I'm sure you will get it right. ‘�

·
Registered
65 Posts
The rule of thumb is1 Hold the cap
2 Turn key anti clockwise
3 Turn the cap anti clockwise
4 Put the cap on clockwise
5 Turn the key clockwise

·
Registered
198 Posts
In my admittedly limited experience, usually bigger petrol stations are self-serving and you have to do everything yourself. But smaller ones - to attract more customers, I suppose - would do everything for you, remove the cap, fill in petrol, place cap back.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just out of interest, am I the only one who doesn't bother locking the fuel cap or do others leave theirs unlocked too?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Good point Duffstar. I always lock mine, but maybe that is just a conditioned reflex. I think years ago manufactures designed anti-syphoning shields. We live in an age where we lock everything, unfortunately. I have not heard of petrol theft for a long time, and car theft is on the decline. both because it is a lot harder to do now days.

Long may that continue.

Go well.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Duffstar said:
Just out of interest, am I the only one who doesn't bother locking the fuel cap or do others leave theirs unlocked too?
Most cars I've had previously, had central locking on the filler flap, so I didn't have to think about it.

I don't lock my up's filler cap (I live in Manchester btw) because I think it's unlikely to be a problem. If it does happen, I've lost £20 of fuel, not the end of the world.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I also had centrally locked fuel cap in the past, and as expected I managed to struggle to open in when refueling for the first time. I assumed it was in the locked position when I got the car thus couldn't figure out why the bloody thing was easily rotating both ways after I "unlocked it".
I intentionally came unprepared, thinking it should be straight forward to figure out. I would appreciate if they had simple instruction on the fuel flap instead of the same message in various languages there. In other vehicles I also had nominal tire pressure figures there.
Perhaps number of threads on this is some sort of indication.Edited by: Rough

·
Registered
520 Posts
I had the same problem the first time I filled up, I think they must come from the factory unlocked, so I was trying to unlock a cap that was already unlocked. I don't bother anymore and just leave it unlocked.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts