Up Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
My missus is always in one gear lower than appropriate and when i ask her why she has no answer. So i expect there's a lot of difference between our fuel consumption too.Edited by: AlanG

·
Registered
448 Posts
That does not sound true to form for the Up!I get on M&M 64mpg.I know
this figure is not the real mpg...about 8% over...but 40mpg for your wife is very low.Have a look at her shoes and take the Lead out!

Go well.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The ONE feature I still have not mastered with the up! (a car I am REALLY PLEASED with!) is the fact I don't change up from 3rd to 5th soon enough. Even after 2500 miles, I frequently find myself still in 3rd. The only reason I can think of - despite the rev counter and visual gear number display - is that the engine/transmission is so quite.
As for my wife, she is typical of the comment a mother of four daughters made to me once. "Peter, women and cars don't mix". That mother and each of her four daughters are all very capable people (one of them. drives an Ambulance in Central London!) - but when it comes to things mechanical - they just can't appreciate the mechanical finer things of life! But hand them a baby ......
Of course, there are always the few exceptions (including a few men who cannot grasp things mechanical)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My wife isn't a fast or aggressive driver. I think the difference seems down to gear change timing? Also this is around town on a virtually new High Up! Only 250 miles on the clock. We've yet to take Zoomy on a longer, motorway run where I'm expecting 70 something!
Happily my wife has accepted the challenge and has started to use the Maps and More Think Blue screens. Which I wasn't expecting her to be that bothered with because, lets face it, they are quite nerdy! And she isn't. Though I am.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
My wife is not allowed to drive my up! Lol.. Don't want the alloys kerb damaged thanks ....

·
Registered
448 Posts
Getting there then! We are just coming to 2000 miles on ours and the fuel consumption is improving all the time.We did take care for the first 1000 miles, and I do think our little 3 potter wears in very well.Now a lot smoother than when it was Brand new and a noticeable amount of more power.

Go well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's good to hear. We have, I mean I have, been keeping it steady as far as RPM go. Though I have taken the revs up to I guess around 4000 once to see what people were taking about - that it sounds good. Well, it sounded good!

I will try to continue to keep the revs down for a while. Though its a 500 mile a month car. So I'm not sure how long my patience will last?! Once run in I think my driving style will alternate between blue thinking hyper-miler and just revving the proverbials off it.
Main car is a 330d so at least I can continue to get kicks in that while Zoomy knocks its burrs off.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First brim to brim measurement is... drum roll... 43mpg. Not baaaad, mostly short journeys, town traffic. Hopefully will loosen up in due course?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh and I checked Mrs Technogogos think blue (fnar) readings for today. 37mpg and not one single blue segment on the gear change thingy. I think I may need to fit a tracker. No, to the car silly!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I get roughly 50mpg on town driving, mainly short journeys,and i dont try and drive economically at all :p but if i do try and drive carefully it dosen't seem to make much difference anyway.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I find when I try to be carefull I get ok results but when I forget and dont look then think s**t what have I driven like to then check and find I'm getting better results is a relief and strange so I've stopped being obsessed as long as its cheaper than my previous car I dont mind

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From a trip around the town (mostly 30mph limit), me driving, yesterday late evening, light traffic, lots of fuel saving efforts being taken.... 66mpg. I was pretty pleased with that.

·
Registered
583 Posts
technogogo said:
Oh and I checked Mrs Technogogos think blue (fnar) readings for today. 37mpg and not one single blue segment on the gear change thingy. I think I may need to fit a tracker.
So the Mrs is not changing gears anywhere near where the up! likes them - and it shows in the fuel bill.
37 mpg (imp) is pretty bad.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
More recently she up to low to mid 40s. We've not seen sub-40 for a while. Not even with air con blasting during the recent heat wave.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts