Up Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Vw say 68mpg
We have just bought a basic UP with a 60 bhp engine

I was wondering what the average realistic normal driving rough fuel consumption is

as i cannot believe 68mpg or is this true.

The car is used to and from work around 25 miles each way daily, Anyone have a idea what to expect

thanks in advance

·
Registered
397 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Currently running at 59.5mpg average.

Have a look here:

http://www.fuelly.com/car/seat/mii/2012/TurboTomato/311941

That's 90% on my commute of a bit of town but mostly rural B roads. I've had to adapt my driving style to get the most out of it though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The MPG anyone will get is *extremely* dependent upon your driving style, the type of journey, and the terrain on your journey.

If you only do motorway miles, then you can easily get over 70mpg.

If you only commute 5 miles over hilly terrain in stop-start traffic, then expect an average mpg in the low 40s.

The best fuel efficiency will also be in warm weather, and after a few thousand miles have elapsed - both for the engine to bed in, and for you to become familiar with the car.

See my fuelly chart below. It starts late October 2013 when it's cool weather and 85% of my 25-minute daily journey is by motorway, plus two short A roads. The highest 78mpg early in July was on a very warm day, with almost all the fuel used during a single long continuous motorway journey on mostly very flat terrain. After this, my workplace soon changed location, and I'm doing a daily stop-start 20-minute journey through a hilly city centre, and I'm currently doing around 50mpg :( The cold weather also does not help.

So, we don't know what mpg you will get. There are many many factors.

Edited by: smargh

·
Registered
24 Posts
Fuel update...
43 mpg for proper lazy urban crawl commute... Typically 1.75 m per journey.
Now before people chops at me, it's the wife's commute, I use a scooter!

Not bad tbh, still less than a k on the clock too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I currently get 440 miles from a tank which i think is around 56 mpg, my car has done 1700 miles now.I take care to try to get as good an mpg as possible and my commute is in very light traffic in fact on one of the trips of 15 miles i probably only have to brake 3 or 4 times.

Trip is 50% dual carriageway 25% single carriageway open country and 25% built up 30mph.All is relatively flat.

Maps and more tells me i am getting 60 mpg.

Also i notice the cold weather is having an effect on my fuel consumption.

·
Read Only
110 Posts
I've just worked out I've averaged 49.5 mpg since I got the car. Nearly all the journeys are less than 5 miles and have only done one motorway journey Dublin to Newry and back(not the most pleasant of journeys to be honest)
I expected to get into the low 50's to be honest but not complaining about the consumption at all. a bit better than the Volvo diesel I used to have, but then that car ate tyres, alternator, a/c condensor, oil seals and all at Volvo prices!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'd be interested to hear more member's mpg figures as it's still early days for me as the second owner of my Mii, have the basic version so no trip computer and no maps and more either so very rough calculations seem to suggest I getabout 50mpg urban if in granny mode, the car has covered 6800 miles so far but I've only done about 400 of those.

Any ideas what mpg to expect at 60mph and 70mph respectively? Also do you think the engine has much more loosening up to do at this kind of mileage? I did try to do a full tank calculation but chickened out as that digital fuel gauge drops insanely quickly once into the last 1/4.

Edited by: Barnsey

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Barnsey I have a Move Up Blue motion and had it a few months only. My fuel consumption has been over 50 up to 58 on the best tank measurements. I fill to the top then refill when the empty is halfway down. Then calculate MPG by converting Litres to gallons etc...I do quite a lot of long runs on motorways and travel at the speed of the traffic! I am now making calculations of how many miles to each quarter etc. I have been doing this for years with all my cars..makes interesting data and fuel prices are written down as well. I am very pleased.....Linda

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks Linda I'll start doing this, I certainly won't let it drop too low either as I've got quite an erratic fuel gauge it would seem, stays on full for 100 miles, then drops a little, then very rapidly!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Barnsey said:
I'd be interested to hear more member's mpg figures as it's still early days for me as the second owner of my Mii, have the basic version so no trip computer and no maps and more either so very rough calculations seem to suggest I get about 50mpg urban if in granny mode, the car has covered 6800 miles so far but I've only done about 400 of those.

Any ideas what mpg to expect at 60mph and 70mph respectively? Also do you think the engine has much more loosening up to do at this kind of mileage? I did try to do a full tank calculation but chickened out as that digital fuel gauge drops insanely quickly once into the last 1/4.

There's a surprising big difference between 60 and 70 in this car. And a noticeable one from low 50s (the most economical speed for me) and 60 even!

I can get 60mpg at around 60mph but if you head up to 70 expect that to drop to 55mpg maybe lower (true figures, not my trip display)

For me I just love cruising at the lower speeds anyway so the up is perfect, and all in comfort and refinement!Edited by: upmancotswolds

·
Registered
123 Posts
To be honest a 5mpg drop between 70 and 60 really isn't too bad at all, but it all counts! 60 is always the most comfortable speed to travel at in my opinion but does add a while onto long distance trips.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts