Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are you guys doing around town.

We have only done 200 miles so far, mainly around town and a couple of short trips on A/M roads.

Engine obviously a long way from being loosened up.

We are getting mid 40's - just asking as I have read some amazing figures on here and ours seems low.

We do tend to 'drive' our cars and neither of us are happy chugging along at the bottome of the rev range.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I've done just over 900 miles now and been working out my mpg using the old method rather than relying on the M&M. I'm currently averaging around low 50's but, after a trip to Lincoln a couple of weekends ago (first longish journey for my up!), the engine feels much looser and smoother so I'm hoping for better figures this time around.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok - feel a bit better now.

I just read that the urban cycle is officially 47.9mpg.

In the past my cars have been nearer to this than the extra urban / combined figures which grab the headlines.

Car feels a lot better being rowed along from about 2500/3000 rpm which I think is where most of its torque becomes available - open to correction on the latter point!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
It sounds like you are doing short journeys and that is a killer as the engine does not warm up. Also city driving with lots of stops and starts is not good. Lastly you need to keep the revs to 1,500 for economy, not 2,500, but if you prefer 2,500, then at least you get better consumption with this car than with most others. I do agree the torque or oomph as it is technically known does seem to be at the higher revs.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I've just filled up after the first 200 miles on the tank of petrol that I got from the dealer. The m&m says that I've been getting readings in the mid-50s mpg, but I'll be able to find out when I've completed the first full tank. The m&m currently calculates that this will be in 330 miles.

Nick

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have just done ajourney fromDurhamto Whitby and back 120 ish miles(mainly A Roads)during this trip a crossed the 2000 mile mark, I was not holding back I was doing the speed limits and was overtaking slower carsmy M&M calculated 63MPG.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
I'm driving pretty much to the gear indicator , my work commute is mainly a road and motorway so very little stopstart and I am getting consistantly 65 ish. Driving round the windy local rural roads with a lot of bends, it's nearer 54.

I'm no speed demon....been there done that got the license points!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Could this be why our figures aren't so good?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19190048

Nick

·
Registered
619 Posts
I haven't done a brim to brim test to gauge my mpg figures but Maps & More regularly reports over 60mpg on average (one trip it reported 67.2). On my regular commute to work I seem to be saving about £5 pounds a week, compared to the amount of fuel used by my old car.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
On fuel alone, I'm £150 a week better off (add in road tax, insurance and I'm doing brilliantly!)

·
Registered
619 Posts
Privatedoc said:
On fuel alone, I'm £150 a week better off (add in road tax, insurance and I'm doing brilliantly!)

£150 a WEEK? What kind of vehicle were you driving - a Sherman Tank?

·
Registered
956 Posts
luckyjimmy said:
Privatedoc said:

£150 a WEEK? What kind of vehicle were you driving - a Sherman Tank?

Or maybe he's just doing his rounds in a Bugatti Veyron

·
Registered
956 Posts
So how many people have calculated their MPG using both the brim to brim method and the M&M?

I don't use my M&M often but when I do, I'm regularly seeing averages of anything from 63 to 72 mpg. However, when I use the old brim to brim method, I'm averaging no more than low 50's so far.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
was getting 28 mpg on a run and 22mpg round town!6 yr old merc kompressor....well knackered!

·
Registered
8 Posts
It seems to me that Maps and more is fixed to give people a higher reading than the true figure.I have connected a scangauge in the car and that reads 5 to 7 miles lower thanmaps and more.Maps and more seems a lot of money for what you get.Can anyone explain why trip computers are so innaccurate.when they are supposed to be computers which in any other use are accurate

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Mine is not too bad, did a brim to brim check today home-Glasgow-town driving-home
Total of 92 miles. M&M says 65.7mpg real mpg is 62.9

I'm not complaining

·
Registered
421 Posts
big alex said:
It seems to me that Maps and more is fixed to give people a higher reading than the true figure. Can anyone explain why trip computers are so innaccurate.when they are supposed to be computers which in any other use are accurate
Maps and more is more than just a trip computer, it's a fantastic sat nav, hands free kit and music player in one

·
Registered
421 Posts
mine's a high up it came with it!Edited by: ZumbaQueen

1 - 20 of 31 Posts