Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I have had my Move Up standard model 5 door for 8 months, but I'm not happy about the fuel consumption. I only do round the town mileage, roughly 4 mile trips, my average mileage is only 45 mpg do you think this is right. I was hoping for a lot better. ?

Cheers
Vic Cohen

·
Registered
851 Posts
Hi Vic, although i am doing longer journeys now, up to a month ago my commute was 4 miles like yours and I was getting 48mpg. My commute was generally free flowing. If yours is stop-start in nature, then it may explain why you're getting 3mpg less than what i was getting.Edited by: AlanG

·
Registered
179 Posts
I reckon you're doing pretty good, Vic. It is interesting to watch the instant reading on the M/M screen trip performance as the first 4 or 5 miles of any trip I do, is in the 21 to 40 mpg until things warm up and straighten out on bigger roads. After that mpg gets up to where it should be - in the 50 to 60 region.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi

Thanks for that, I still think I should do better, so took car back to dealership for check up, I have the Move Up as standard, no trip computer. They told me VW had upgraded the Engine Management System, and would adjust mine to suit while I was there. They said this might make a difference, and said that different makes of petrol can also make a difference, I normally use Asda but will try others in future and check the mileage. Will keep you posted.
Cheers Vic

·
Registered
438 Posts
Long drives I get about 57 mpg going 70mph. Short ones it's 30-40. It still costs a lot less to run than my diesel Mini which gave 61 mph but the fuel is 40-50p gallon more expensive.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I am over in Germany, and my commute is about 60km a day, city and motorway driving, but very stop start on the motorway due to roadworks. I am getting 56mpg at the moment..when the motorway is clearI do about 60-80mph... slow for german roads LOL... but if i am just in the city stop start it drops to about 45-50mpg. it depends of the traffic, driving style,and also weather does have an effect. so a lot of factors and can come into play.

·
Registered
179 Posts
That's about right, shakotanVIP. Honest John published real consumption figures and the Up claims about 8% to 10% optimistic on readers tank to tank figures.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This was my drive to work yesterday, a mixture of freeway and main roads with lots of traffic lights.

3.7L/100Km converts to 76.35 mpg

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
nice one, I get much the same, I expect the M&M is a bit optimistic but still great economy

·
Registered
296 Posts
Over the first 4500 miles of mixed driving - some motorway and some Highland roads with a some town [rather than city] driving - overall average about 52 mpg measured by miles covered and fuel put in tank. Would agree M&M is a little optimistic. Edited by: ospreywatcher

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hi

Thanks for that, I still think I should do better, so took car back to dealership for check up, I have the Move Up as standard, no trip computer. They told me VW had upgraded the Engine Management System, and would adjust mine to suit while I was there. They said this might make a difference, and said that different makes of petrol can also make a difference, I normally use Asda but will try others in future and check the mileage. Will keep you posted.
Cheers Vic
I use premium fuel all the time and am getting 55 mpg on a 12 mile commute from the blue motion 60, I don't think using premium fuel makes much difference to the mpg or performance, however, it will burn cleaner and has additional cleansing agents to help reduce carbon build up and keep the injectors clean. I personally avoid supermarket fuel as although some of it may be ok the price difference isn't enough to tempt me into taking the risk. Carbon is the enemy of modern cars and the cleaner your engine the better for optimum performance and economy.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Did test with my Ford KA and the dearer Shell V-power fuel paid for itself in increased MPG. So automatically use it with the Up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We've had our up just a short time, and got through a couple of tanks now, we are averaging about 375 miles on £40.. Price 129.9p.. So pretty pleased with this.. This mostly driving around town and the odd 30 mile trip.. Very happy so far..

·
Registered
128 Posts
My average consumption over 9534 miles is 55.6 with my best tank of 63.9 and worst at 43.7 mpg. The best was over 464 miles in less than 5 days and the worst was over 327 in 21 days (average under 16 a day). A clear difference visible by journey length.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi All

I have had my Move Up standard model 5 door for 8 months, but I'm not happy about the fuel consumption. I only do round the town mileage, roughly 4 mile trips, my average mileage is only 45 mpg do you think this is right. I was hoping for a lot better. ?

Cheers
Vic Cohen

It's the short journey that's doing it, bear in mind it's winter, the engine uses more fuel when cold until fully warmed up. Your engine might have only just got to temperature after 4 miles. Shame you can't see your engine temperature to see what I mean. I think mine takes about 3 miles to get to temperature in urban driving at the moment. Take it for a good run somewhere for 20 miles and see what you get then. Engine management upgrade won't make any difference.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I use 95 RON fuel, do 97% of my mileage in the city and live in a hot climate with air-con operating 99% of the time. Fuel consumption to date (calculated from actual mileage and re-fuels):
14939 km (9282 miles), 950.1 Litres (209 gal)
average6.4 L/100km (44 MPG)
best4.5 L/100km (63 MPG)

Maps & More always displays better fuel economy. For a petrol-engined car, I'm absolutely happy with the real-world consumption.

My other car is a Fiat 500 1.3 diesel. It has averaged 6.0 L/100km (47 MPG) over 53606 km (33309 miles). It's cheaper to run because diesel is cheaper than 95 RON in Australia.

Edited by: peterche

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
I wish diesel was cheaper here!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts