Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, overall i'm still pleased with my up! but am a bit disappointed with the fuel economy so far. Even if driven really carefully, i'm struggling to get above 51mpg on average and that's going by the car's computer readout. This is 9mpg less than the official figure and seems to be less than what many of you guys have been reporting too.

I have also noticed that car seems to hesitate sometimes if accelerating when the engine is relatively cold too. I don't rev the nuts off it with a cold engine or anything, but under normal acceleration it sometimes feels like the power dips and then comes back again. Not sure if this is normal for a cold engine or what but never experienced it in any other car before.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Whats the mileage on yer little Up ? because you really can't rely on any economic figures until you as a minimum have driven it the first 1000 miles, and sometimes as a mechanic I see cars that needs to drive 5-8000 miles until the engine has settled completely and will run smooth and optimal.. Furthermore the first oil change also helps because the oil thats in the engine from new will be "used" more because all the parts in the engine is being run in, I think its called in English? or broken in.. heh, can't recall..

The hesitation when cold I can't really say anything about, I have only driven the little wonder in the summertime period when I ordered it :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have the same question, what is your mileage? As said the best fuel economy can take anything up to 20k (!) miles before you get there. My Up does the same hesitation especially with first gear, but this is due to my car only done 1500 miles, engine is very tight to start with.

The first Up I had which got exchanged at 3k miles did the same thing, but after approx 2k miles it started getting alot more even on accelerations.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
dmn100 said:
Hi all, overall i'm still pleased with my up! but am a bit disappointed with the fuel economy so far. Even if driven really carefully, i'm struggling to get above 51mpg on average and that's going by the car's computer readout. This is 9mpg less than the official figure and seems to be less than what many of you guys have been reporting too.

I have also noticed that car seems to hesitate sometimes if accelerating when the engine is relatively cold too. I don't rev the nuts off it with a cold engine or anything, but under normal acceleration it sometimes feels like the power dips and then comes back again. Not sure if this is normal for a cold engine or what but never experienced it in any other car before.
There are threads about this. I was getting average 65mpg from my TakeUp, with nice long runs, few stops, no real traffic. Now I have a similar length journey, but lots of traffics, and consumption is down to 60mpg or less. I do 24 miles each way each day, with a lot of dual carriageway, but some roundabouts, some lights, and some slow traffic in places. Lots of short journeys and/or stops and starts kills economy. And the engine uses more fuel in winter as it takes longer to warm up, and the air is denser. My Ka gave ~47 mpg in summer and ~42 mpg in winter.

Lastly, if you accelerate and brake a lot, you'll kill economy. So keep a good distance from the vehicle in front, and try and judge your speed and road position to reduce braking. Sadly I love the sound of the little engine when I give it some welly ...

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm now on 4500 miles when at about 1k I was getting about 74mpg going to work and 64 mpg on way home, but now in cold weather that has dropped by about 5 - 6 mpg each way (i'm driving BMT)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it's down to 49mpg now. Seems to get lower every time I get in the car! Another issue I have is that the side windows keep steaming up as well and I'm forced to direct the air vents into them otherwise I can't see out of them...

·
Registered
604 Posts
dmn100 said:
Another issue I have is that the side windows keep steaming up as well and I'm forced to direct the air vents into them otherwise I can't see out of them...

I am also seeing an increase in Condensation I have just put it down to the cold weather, just put aircon on while your scraping the snow and ice off your windows

·
Registered
315 Posts
spud said:
dmn100 said:
Another issue I have is that the side windows keep steaming up as well and I'm forced to direct the air vents into them otherwise I can't see out of them...

I am also seeing an increase in Condensation I have just put it down to the cold weather, just put aircon on while your scraping the snow and ice off your windows

Are you using your aircon?

We find that the car mists quite badly on damp days but the aircon clears it in a jiffy. Also do you use the clever little detent setting on the outer air vents to get the flow in the right place on the windows? Neat little idea.

As for fuel consumption - we are at 1350 miles now and have yet to manage much more than 46mpg. We don't cane the car but we certainly don't drive like taxi drivers either.

I have no idea how anyone gets 60-70mpg tbh.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Most folks should get mid to high fifties mpg figures, without trying too hard, on a journey that is long enough to let the car properly warm up. Longer journeys will add a few more mpg to this figure and may reach 60mpg under the right circumstances.

Note, many of the mpg figures on this forum are those given by Maps & More and seem to be roughly 10mpg adrift from mpg figures calculated via the brim to brim method. My own car gets regularly 57 mpg on my 26 mile commute to work, which is a combination of A roads, motorway and town driving. Maps & More reported 65+ mpg over the same route.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Based on just a few fill ups so far (still less than 1,000 miles) and I'm only getting a little over 40mpg. :(

More precisely that's my wife getting that mpg. But, we live in a hilly area and my wife tends to use it for a 2-3 mile trip to school (and back and there and back) so lots of short journeys where the car doesn't really get warmed up. I might give it a go on some longer trips and see what difference it makes.

·
Registered
705 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
luckyjimmy said:
Most folks should get mid to high fifties mpg figures, without trying too hard, on a journey that is long enough to let the car properly warm up. Longer journeys will add a few more mpg to this figure and may reach 60mpg under the right circumstances.

Note, many of the mpg figures on this forum are those given by Maps & More and seem to be roughly 10mpg adrift from mpg figures calculated via the brim to brim method. My own car gets regularly 57 mpg on my 26 mile commute to work, which is a combination of A roads, motorway and town driving. Maps & More reported 65+ mpg over the same route.
The figures I quoted are based on distance covered and fuel in the tank according to the pump gauge. 65mpg is easy to achieve on long journeys, in warm weather. However, given that that is roughly the official combined figure, I think the official figures are a wee bit optimistic.

·
Registered
604 Posts
In the rightconditionsit i possible toachievemore the the quoted figures (BMT combined 68.9mpg) I have had 84.6 mpg on a morning run to work, outside temp was 20 Deg C, no stops at lights easy roundabouts and very little traffic on the roadnormallyi would get 74 mpg

Edited by: spud

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
spud said:
In the rightconditionsit i possible toachievemore the the quoted figures

I don't believe it. You measure using M&M which overestimates, so it is not that meaningful, except when comparing with yourself i.e. to know if you are doing better or worse. As I said, I had a long journey, 30 miles each way, doing 60mph, and 68mpg was the best I got on one tank in warm weather. Someone here does get over 70mpg from the less powerful engine, possibly natural engine variation.

·
Registered
430 Posts
In the past wehad 2 identical Corsa's, both 2002 1.2 models, one of them was so poor on fuel we swapped it for a Corsa diesel, the other was fine and achieved expected MPG figures.Before taking the plunge to swap we had it fully checked out to find no obvious faults. This may be an extreme example but individual cars can differ greatly even if driven by the same person on the same journeys.

·
Registered
243 Posts
spud said:
In the rightconditionsit i possible toachievemore the the quoted figures (BMT combined 68.9mpg) I have had 84.6 mpg on a morning run to work, outside temp was 20 Deg C, no stops at lights easy roundabouts and very little traffic on the roadnormallyi would get 74 mpg

I have an High Up and i think that is a load of rubbish 84.6 mpg never

·
Registered
604 Posts
even if you were to take off 10mpg from the 84.6 it is still above thequoted figures 68.9mpg

it is all about driving style and road conditions

yesterday I got 74.9 on the way to work samejourney but in reverse same outside temp but include traffic and a few more up hill bits and i got 58.7 mpg

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
MPG via the trip computer is a very inexact science....I'm just pleased that the car is proving VERY economical.....I've just gone over 6000 miles (in 3 months) and economy seems better even with my chunky winter tyres.....did a 32 mile commute this morning with 76mpg showing, accurate or not, I know its pretty good!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts