Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Up into the garage today to have fuel gauge checked.The fuel gauge is registering higher amounts of petrol than which are in the tank.The garage checked this and said the there must be fuel in the tank which is above the range of the senSOR ,which is causing the gauge to be inaccurate.I Have done 145 miles since my last fill up but the gauge is only registering over two gallons used.The garage says they can not find any fault so they can not fix it.I find this very annoying ,garage is saying I must have put in more petrol after the pump stopped at the first click,which I never do and have also stated that as the car is new is is still settling in

·
Registered
421 Posts
Well looking at it another way what mpg are you getting from the gauge?

I can regularly get 60 mpg put of my car so a couple of gallon could easily be 145 miles

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Maybe wait until you have used the whole tank and see what happens. All I know is that the gauge doesn't move for miles, then goes down faster the further it gets to the red.

Does the estimated amount of miles left in the tank (according to the M&M) added to 145 miles sound about right for the amount of fuel you put in?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Your gauge is more accurate than mine. Mine does not move for about 110 miles, then moves. Halfway is 300+ miles. So about 50 miles per large division i.e. 1/8 of a tank. It carries on like that till empty. So about 520+ miles per tank. I keep hoping I'll get close to 70mpg, but not a chance.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Leif said:
Your gauge is more accurate than mine. Mine does not move for about 110 miles, then moves. Halfway is 300+ miles. So about 50 miles per large division i.e. 1/8 of a tank. It carries on like that till empty. So about 520+ miles per tank. I keep hoping I'll get close to 70mpg, but not a chance.
Mine is exactly the same as this.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I agree with Yapmaul and Leif in so much as my gauge doesn't move for about 110 miles.
Edited by: bugbabe34

·
Registered
198 Posts
I agree, it is an annoying gauge,doesn'tmove until well past 100 miles then seems to move really fast (all relative really, still uses loads less fuel than my old Fiesta). I never like to run really low in fuel, so once M&M says less than 100 miles left, I know it is time to find a petrol station.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Mine same as above, be swift on getting petrol when it says to Inearlyran out before I got to a filling station it goes that fast at the end.

and don't trust M&M (if you have it) for nearby petrol station, when I looked one of them had been closed for years (I knew about that one) the next closest one which I then drove to not even a derelictfore-coat,only just got to the one after that

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your replies.I only get about 45 mpg.I dont trust the maps and more.The garage tell me i have three quartes of a tank left which means I have only supposed to have used 2 gallons which equates to over seventy miles to the Gallon.Surely if you have a new car the fuel gauge should be accurate.The garage gave me a load of flannel.and told me the cleaned my car.I only wanted them to do their job properly which they failed to do.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It is the way the modern stuff works, or rather doesn't. If it is any consolation, I only recently sold my Porsche 997 GT3 and its gauge behaved exactly the same way.

If I recall correctly (I may have imagined it...), it was suggested that deliberately running it very, very low sometimes could help to reset the whole thing. As advice goes, that is about as useful as telling you that you can easily locate the edge of a cliff in the dark by stepping off it. :)

Edited by: ChesterDog

·
Registered
421 Posts
I agree with the gauge virtually sticking on full for 100 miles then dropping quickly from half onwards.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fuel gauges have worked the same as described here on my 5 VW's and 1 Seat. To me it's no big deal. Gauge tells when it is time to fillup and gives some estimate on how long you can go. Correct consumption can only be calculated out of km's(miles) and liters(gallons). No M+M's or car computers shows exact numbers. They usually show a little too positive numbers, not by much but still.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
All fuel gauges I have ever had on any make run down quicker the lower the tank gets...

Just went round trip to southampton from london. Tank still showed full when got to southampton, but on 3/4 when got back to london...

Pretty normal.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Use the range figure! I never let it go much below half anyway.

The position is relative anyway, it just takes a while to come off the full mark...

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
To be honest, I know some people have been getting more out of their tanks, I however, everytime i fill mine up my range says 400mls to the tank, if i go on longer journeys this goes up, but i always estimate 400miles, because your up should do this on lots of short journeys. therefore zero your trip counter every time you fill up and when youre nearing 400 miles you know you need to go fill up whether your fuel gauge says to do so or not.
also the fuel light comes on when your registering 1/4 of tank anyway, so if you do it then, mine said i still had 40miles petrol left anyway, and its pretty rare anyone would be more than 40miles from a petrol station.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Have you been to Scotland? I only found one petrol station on Mull, in Tobermory. Which was a worry with my thirsty StreetKa.

Nick

·
Registered
315 Posts
big alex said:
Thanks for your replies.I only get about 45 mpg.I dont trust the maps and more.The garage tell me i have three quartes of a tank left which means I have only supposed to have used 2 gallons which equates to over seventy miles to the Gallon.Surely if you have a new car the fuel gauge should be accurate.The garage gave me a load of flannel.and told me the cleaned my car.I only wanted them to do their job properly which they failed to do.

We are getting a similar overall mpg.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts