Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it me or is the fuel Guage on the up a bit pants?

I manage to eek out 100miless before the fuel Guage moves and have magically arrived at 244miles at the halfway point. I bet I can't get to 400miles (let alone 500) by the time Guage is pointing just above empty.

Is there a way of recalibrating the sensor at VW or by myself using VCDS?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hi, no it is not just you. Takes an age from full to half, then a rapid plummet to empty. I doubt if it can be recalibrated, but I stand corrected on that, as I would not have a clue as to how to do it. You do get used to it though.

Go well.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Fuel tanks in most modern cars are designed to fit around the other car components so it is quite common for the lower half of the tank to be smaller in volume than the upper half.
the gauge should be taken as a guide only, don't expect them to be very accurate.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Volkswagens have always been like that. I remember my old MK2 Golf would do 100 miles before the gauge even moved then it would go down quite slowly. Once it hit half way you could practically see it moving as you drove.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The fuel gauge on my previous car ( Rover 75 diesel ) was just the same. My classic car (1953 Sunbeam Talbot ) If the gauge registers half I know I have 6 gallons left. If it registers quarter I know I have 3 gallons left, and I have proved this over the years.

Makes one wonder about modern technology?

Go well.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Just me left then. But I am Night Owl!

Talk again Folks.

Go well.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Night Owl said:
The fuel gauge on my previous car ( Rover 75 diesel ) was just the same. My classic car (1953 Sunbeam Talbot ) If the gauge registers half I know I have 6 gallons left. If it registers quarter I know I have 3 gallons left, and I have proved this over the years.

Makes one wonder about modern technology?

Go well.
No doubt your Talbot fuel tank was a rectangular tank unlike the modern tanks which have packaging constraints and end up irregular shapes !

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As much as Vauxhall tend to get beasted for the cars, their fuel guages are accurate to an unbeleivable level.

On my old VX220 when you just had to add 2litres to whatever wasshown on the stack display and it would be bang on right. Granted if you were driving it 'spiritedly' the sloshing of fuel from side-to-side could cause the fuel reading to keep changing its mind.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The tank is an upside down triangle. 3/4 of petrol in the top half and 1/4 in the bottom.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I know all tanks are different shapes, but you would think the designers could come up with a software algorithm to make the gauges linear and accurate based on the tank design.
My polo is the same, it does loads more miles from full to half.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Totally agree. Worst fuel gauge I have had in 30 years of driving. When tank is low you want to have more fuel than you think, not less. When we took delivery I remember seeing some posts about whether the Up could do 400 miles on a tank. As we had only used a quarter (i.e. gauge showed 3/4) and we had done 150 miles, I thought easypeasy. Reckon I get about 100 miles from 1/2 to low fuel warning. Should be a recall I think. Mind you, car was sold with £10 in it. Got 10 miles before low fuel warning went. For comparison, my BMW 118d has done 750 on a (50L) tank.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I know i have to get fuel quickly as soon as the guage is on the first wide marking just below the halfway point as from then on, you can virtually watch the needle drop!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Maps and more will tell you how many miles you can travel on the fuel in your tank as does the on board computer. There is also an audible warning given in good time to alert you to the need to fill up. If you know the fuel gauge is not perfectly accurate you can adjust for it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Or VW could calibrate it in the first place. Shouldn't have to second guess it and what happens if it in a hire car? As per my first post, as tank gets low you want to have more fuel than you think, not less. Similarly, going down far too slow at first gives false sense of security. If too much trouble to do this then don't have a linear gauge, just move the 1/4 and 1/2 and 3/4 to the correct place.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes, I found it a bit disconcerting at first. When I took delivery and it was reading half, I thought the dealer had been very generous in giving me half a tank of juice - only for it to drop fairly rapidly!

·
Registered
7 Posts
My old Aygo used to show 1/4 full then within minutes would go to empty and beep at me, lol. The best way really is to use the zero the trip counter when you fill up - you soon learn how many miles you get to the tank. I always used to fill up around 350 miles.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts