Up Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how low can you go? Driving home on the motorway yesterday the fuel range said 40 miles with 55 miles to go.
No fuel on my route.
I slowed down and set the cruise control to 55mph.
Fuel economy (according to the computer) went from the 50’s to around 70 MPG

I just made it to the all night fuel station near my home.

I am guessing that it won’t run out when the range gets to zero and there’s still some left.

Attachments

·
Registered
764 Posts
I’ve never tested how far can I go with the fuel tank nearly empty but what I can tell everyone is the UP GTI is very easy to push all by your self with the door open and one hand on the steering wheel. I Pushed mine down the driveway with very little effort.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Had my Tsi on 0 miles a couple of times, never ran out, was sweating though.......

·
Registered
642 Posts
Had my Tsi on 0 miles a couple of times, never ran out, was sweating though.......
Never got to zero but close. TURN OFF the A/C, and cruise, don't accelerate, jusy enough to keep it rolling, managed to do 10 miles whilst holding my range at 10-5 miles decline...........sorry, you guys know this stuff, just saying

·
Registered
63 Posts
Somewhat related, is it common that the fuel gauge is rather non-linear in its behaviour? The needle in the fuel gauge in my 2015 High Up barely moves the first few days after filling the car up. Then it very slowly creeps to 3/4, a little bit faster to 1/2, quite a bit faster to 1/4 tank and then down to the reserve pretty soon after that.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Somewhat related, is it common that the fuel gauge is rather non-linear in its behaviour? The needle in the fuel gauge in my 2015 High Up barely moves the first few days after filling the car up. Then it very slowly creeps to 3/4, a little bit faster to 1/2, quite a bit faster to 1/4 tank and then down to the reserve pretty soon after that.
The Up is the worse car I’ve had in that respect. Most cars suffer from it and it’s purely down to the shape of the fuel tank.

·
Banned
640 Posts
I never let my fuel tank get that low.

Ive discovered on a full brimmed tank, the fuel gauge does not move for roughly 175miles.

Its not so much the cost of refilling an empty tank, but when my fuel gauge is near the half way mark, i put a £10 worth in, and it goes above 3/4.

On a trip to see my friend just outside Caerphilly in South Wales, a journey of 177.6 miles and 354.6 miles back home, according to my fuel computer on the Maps & More read out, i still had 295miles left in my fuel tank.

This was whilst driving my less fuel efficient 59hp Move Up, with its underpowered 5speed box.

My over all economy figure was 75,3mpg, so if driven carefully there's an easy 600+ miles in the full tank of a VW UP.

As for my Up GTi, with its more efficient engine and 6 speed box, heaven knows what fuel range the fuel tank will provide.

The 75mpg was not achieved by going at a snails pace, as once you get that engines sweet spot, at roughly 58mph, the fuel economy is mighty impressive.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I never let my fuel tank get that low.

Ive discovered on a full brimmed tank, the fuel gauge does not move for roughly 175miles.

Its not so much the cost of refilling an empty tank, but when my fuel gauge is near the half way mark, i put a £10 worth in, and it goes above 3/4.

On a trip to see my friend just outside Caerphilly in South Wales, a journey of 177.6 miles and 354.6 miles back home, according to my fuel computer on the Maps & More read out, i still had 295miles left in my fuel tank.

This was whilst driving my less fuel efficient 59hp Move Up, with its underpowered 5speed box.

My over all economy figure was 75,3mpg, so if driven carefully there's an easy 600+ miles in the full tank of a VW UP.

As for my Up GTi, with its more efficient engine and 6 speed box, heaven knows what fuel range the fuel tank will provide.

The 75mpg was not achieved by going at a snails pace, as once you get that engines sweet spot, at roughly 58mph, the fuel economy is mighty impressive.
We have both a Move Up 60ps and the Up GTI. I find that it's the opposite way around to you economy wise. We can get 450 miles from a tank in the 60ps with relative ease, whereas in the GTI I'm seeing closer to 360-380 miles. Both of ours seem to be at the half way mark when reading 3/4 on the needle. The 60 moves off full after circa 100 miles.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I agree 58/60mph gives you 65/70 mpg (better the more you can hold 60mph)

Fuel gauge is old tech float gauge, hasn't changed since the MGB of the 60's, just fine tuned a little but they all basically show full until 50% and then drop off. But at least the don't show a 1/4 tank when ACTUALLY empty (like my old MGB) !!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Having a High Up! 75PS and a Up! GTi, In the high up I get around 3.8l/100km(roughly 74mpg) according to the trip, then the fuel light doesn't flick on until it's gone roughly 780-800km(500 miles"ish") and that's driving sensibly around 80-90kmh on the highway. The GTi according to the trip goes for 4.0l/100km if again driven sensibly between 80-90kmh on the highway as well ;) and has given me between 710-740km range before the fuel light decides to show itself, which is great considering I do roughly a 90km commute!

·
Super Moderator
1,743 Posts
The fuel tank on the up has quite a long neck holding a decent couple of litres of fuel, so the needle wont move for the first 100 or so miles because the tank itself is still full.

·
Banned
640 Posts
Thats easy, as ive already achieved 77.4mpg from my little White performance bargain of the century.
Ive yet to take my Gti on a very long journey, like i did recently in my Move Up.

The Move Up with its hopelessly underpowered 59hp engine has achieved a best of 76mpg on a journey to Cardiff last month, but i recon the Gti with its 6speed box, and more powerful engine, will return a genuine 80+mpg.

Driving the Up Gti slowly is easy peasy, you just make yourself cosy, and explore its hypermiling possibilities.

With the JBS remap, and 145hp on tap, the economy would be amazing.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Where does the 80 bhp come into it????
The Up Gti has 113bhp.
The basic Up has 59 bhp .
You don’t need to spend £ xxx on a re map if your a hyper miler fan eeking out 80mpg.

·
Registered
2019 gti 3 door tungsten silver
74 Posts
I don’t know where you are getting this good fuel consumption from,ive done 1000 miles at sensible revs and the best I’ve got is 45 mpg.sometimes it’s heavier on fuel than my Audi s3.

·
Banned
640 Posts
A remap will actually improve the efficiency of a standard engine.

I noticed my Mercedes Smart Cdi diesel felt far happier on the road, after its remap, and increasing the hp from 62hp to 78hp saw improved fuel efficiency.

I did not quite manage 100mpg from it, but could reach the other side of 90mpg on long motorway journey's.

When you tune an engine with a Stage 1 remap, the engine is tuned to close its optimum level and efficiency.

After its remap, the engines new lease on life, can become more efficient than when it leaves the factory, simply because the engine has been retuned to optimum efficiency.

When it leaves the factory, the engine is in a detuned form, to take into consideration the inferior fuel found in other countries where the car is sold.
The remap should provide increased power and torque figures right across the rev range, and allowing the engine to increase its fuel efficiency if driven with all out fuel efficiency in mind.

On a journey to South Wales several weeks ago, travelling through Mid Wales along the A470, in my Move Up, i averaged just slightly under 75mpg.

I know we can take the Maps & More fuel efficiency programme with a pinch of salt, but when i filled the fuel tank to the brim, the fuel needle did not start to move until 184 miles, and for a short distance outside Builth Wells, it was showing i was doing 80mpg.

I just cannot understand why your Up! is only returning 45mpg?

Even in normal driving, ive never seen less than 60mpg from my 59hp engine.

The 75mpg was achieved when i adopted a fully focussed driving style, and i always use Tescos Momentum 99ron fuel.

The 1 Litre engine is supposed to be very fuel efficient, so averaging 45mph seems rather poor.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts