·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
We get 50-60mpg from our GTi

On the motorway if you slow to 60mph and set the cruise it will do high 70’s

At more realistic motorway speeds it manages low 50’s

On the commute, mostly slow traffic it still gets 48-50mpg

We had a Citigo on hire recently and that was considerably more economical. But that’s what it’s for.

If l wanted fuel economy above all else we’d have got the Up 60ps
But we wanted a bit of fun, with better economy than our previous car which struggled to top 30mpg in town.

·
Registered
336 Posts
45 mpg appears insane, I travel 55 miles per day easily getting 65+ mpg in the summer and not much worse in the winter.

·
Registered
399 Posts
45 mpg appears insane, I travel 55 miles per day easily getting 65+ mpg in the summer and not much worse in the winter.
I have just driven home, across the top of the Lakes, trying to outrun the massive storm. I overtook everything that my little red box would have a go at. I enjoy my driving.

Result 38.7 miles and 45.4 mpg. Interestingly (or not) the morning journey in the opposite direction was full of old grannies doing 51 mph in a 60 and we even got stuck behind a tractor. and I got 58.9mpg for the trip.

My Porsche shows about 22mpg for the same trip, although we do go quite a bit faster !! In fact I have seen Whitehaven to Carlisle in 32 mins, which if you know that road, was............. exciting...

50+ mpg in the UP!GTi = you're not trying hard enough

:):):):):)):):):

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have just driven home, across the top of the Lakes, trying to outrun the massive storm. I overtook everything that my little red box would have a go at. I enjoy my driving.

Result 38.7 miles and 45.4 mpg. My Porsche shows about 22mpg for the same trip, although we do go quite a bit faster !!

50+ mpg = you're not trying hard enough

:):):):):)):):):
My GTI is remapped to 130 bhp to give me effortless overtaking on B roads however some of us don't have the GTI as a plaything among a large garage including Porsches etc, I'm not made of money and while commuting 15k per annum I will try to drive as economically as I can while also having a bit of fun along the way.

·
Registered
2019 gti 3 door tungsten silver
74 Posts
What mileage has your car done,I travel 50 miles a day on a mix of B roads and dual carriageway.maybe I’ve got a really tight engine.

·
Registered
336 Posts
What mileage has your car done,I travel 50 miles a day on a mix of B roads and dual carriageway.maybe I’ve got a really tight engine.
As my posts made clear I commute 55 miles per day, 15k per year and to date 12k in my Up GTI, 20 % urban, 40 % motorway at 55 mph going and 65 mph returning and 40 % B roads at whatever speed I can achieve up to 50-60 mph. Commuting to work I easily achieve 65-70 mpg and returning home 60-65 mpg.

·
Registered
2019 gti 3 door tungsten silver
74 Posts
As my posts made clear I commute 55 miles per day, 15k per year and to date 12k in my Up GTI, 20 % urban, 40 % motorway at 55 mph going and 65 mph returning and 40 % B roads at whatever speed I can achieve up to 50-60 mph. Commuting to work I easily achieve 65-70 mpg and returning home 60-65 mpg.
Brilliant,I hope my car loosen’s up and I can get the same,love the car,it’s a pleasure to drive.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
They do get better as they loosen up.
My Tsi gave considerably better mpg at 12000 miles than 1000.

·
Banned
640 Posts
The Move Up, has done 5349 miles in almost a year.
I collected it last year on August 1st, so its been with me for almost one year, and its been a great little car, with superb VW reliability.
Driving it yesterday, towards Porthmadog, the engine performed faultlessly in 33C heat, but i recon it may need a bit more mileage to fully run the engine in.
I am still pretty happy with its long range fuel economy, as i recon there's an honest 600miles plus, on a full tank.

Next year, its planned for a trip around the North Coast 500, but thats for next year.

I find the Vw UP! a great long distance cruiser, as its so fuel efficient, and very comfortable to drive over long distances, but a bit more power would be nice.

Its just a shame it does not have that extra 6th gear, like my Gti.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My GTI has 4500 miles in it and I can get 60+ mpg if I drive it carefully...
unfortunately my right foot keeps pressing down on the pedal and this makes the corners of my mouth lift up....
It’s quite infectious ????

·
Registered
4 Posts
I drove our old Citigo to empty twice doing an “mpg challenge”. If memory serves me correct, the engine cut out between 45 and 55 miles after the trip computer reached 0 miles range. Hope that helps with the stress next time you get caught near empty.

·
Registered
82 Posts
With the JBS remap, and 145hp on tap, the economy would be amazing.
Yeah, ... if you can manage to accelerate softly and in a way that doesn't active the turbo (0 bar boost). You could use a 4 quid ELM 327 bluetooth dongle and one of the free apps to read out boost pressures as you accelerate and learn how to apply gas w/o engaging the turbo. This way you would develop an ECO throttle application profile for your right foot.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I believe member 9905 or Llandudno boy as he called himself was banned due to the utter bull **** he talked lol !
The only guy on the planet that has a JSB re map that gives 145 bhp and drives around at under 2k rpm to get his beloved 80 mpg:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
653 Posts
I drove our old Citigo to empty twice doing an “mpg challenge”. If memory serves me correct, the engine cut out between 45 and 55 miles after the trip computer reached 0 miles range. Hope that helps with the stress next time you get caught near empty.
Useful to know. I've always assumed there was a gallon spare at the 0 miles point, but had no evidence to back it up. Was probably something my dad told me when I started driving !

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I love it when these old post get resurrected and you get to see the rubbish posted by Llandudno Boy once again!
I believe member 9905 or Llandudno boy as he called himself was banned due to the utter bull **** he talked lol !
The only guy on the planet that has a JSB re map that gives 145 bhp and drives around at under 2k rpm to get his beloved 80 mpg:ROFLMAO:
But he's back lads, and has been for some time..... surely you've picked that UP already ?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts