Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got bags? Help me out. I'm looking at potentially getting her bagged in the near future, only it's new to me and I'm not too sure where to start.
Anyone out there with experience can offer some guidance? The whole thing seems a bit of a minefield, but the end result seems worth it!
Cheers :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
at the risk of looking stupid...

what do you mean by fun bags?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Sorry can't help but very funny

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been, just struggling to find an Up! kit. £1600 seems cheap ish really for it, I was expecting nigh double that!
Just after experiences too really, can't beat chatting to people that have used it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
my mate uses a company in poland, you need to do a **** of a lot of measuring and then they are custom built to your specs, he has just got some done for a passat by them he went for the top spec set up cost him £1000 to his door, basic kit was £800. he has also done a mk1 rocco this year using same guys.

If your handy with a measure and can do sums, deffo worth a look, i was tempted but out my budget and main reason for me buying this car was to save some cash.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers dude, I did see HavAir online, and their prices seem reasonable. Do they fit as well as just selling the kits?
I don't think I'd want to install it myself, though I can do something's, I wouldn't trust myself with that! Haha

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey mate, i can recommendAccuAir... i wouldn't take something cheap. You just have to find someone that sells it and puts it into your car :D
Edited by: tyrz

·
Registered
72 Posts
What exactly do you want to know? I did an air conversation my self on my Arosa a few years ago so I'm sure most of my experience will still be relevant.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In a nutshell, everything! Haha.
Reality though, what kit is good, what isn't, how much fabrication should I expect to have to do, costs, what kinda lows can I expect without any modification of the underside of the car. Can I do it myself?

Basically, I know air looks cool, and I know how it works, per say, I just don't know where to start in getting it done.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Buy the best kit you can afford. You can fit it your self with a basic knowlege of wiring and changing suspension. There shouldn't be any fabrication needed if its a specific kit.

I bought a kit from the US as it was dirt cheap at the time. Took quite a bit if work to make it fit, but once I did it was one of the best modifications I have ever made to a car.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok cheers mate :)

I've heard stories of having to drill strut top mounts to fit the new shocks, is this something you had to do? I'm happy to go a certain distance to make air work. But I'm not sure I'd be happy about that.

My only other concern is, due to the age of the car I guess, I'm struggling to find a specific kit for the Up!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Dave you better not do this before me hahaha My whole plan was to be the first in the UK to put it on air/hydro!

also you wont have to drill the top mounts if you get the right kit for the up!

and I know what you mean about parts, there is none! thats what sucks about having a new model of car :( I was talking to the very first guy in the world to put an up! on air (the white one with blue wheels and the blue stripe) he said he had to get his struts made custom but that was very early on in the production of the up! so parts may have got better!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The race is on ;-) haha.
Seriously though, I'm not doing it in any hurry, if it does happen though, it's likely to be at some point over the next two or three months :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
I haven't even got my up! Yet, so your a good bit ahead already haha.
I won't be doing anything to the car until mid June because of exams but now I have some competition I might have to step up my game ;) lol

1 - 20 of 35 Posts