Up Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

"You can keep your supercars, because the plucky Volkswagen Up GTI is my choice for a future classic. It’s the defining rocket that you can fit into your pocket, and I’m convinced it will receive similar plaudits to its renowned big brother in the years to come. "

·
Registered
380 Posts

"You can keep your supercars, because the plucky Volkswagen Up GTI is my choice for a future classic. It’s the defining rocket that you can fit into your pocket, and I’m convinced it will receive similar plaudits to its renowned big brother in the years to come. "
What a nice little piece about the Up! GTi 👍

Not so sure about the rest of it though.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Its my feeling VW wont facelift the car but may make it a bit longer. Until it stops being popular, economies of scale etc. And also the pressure of going electric.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I dont think it will take 50 years for the UP GTI to become a Classic. Probably more like 20 years. They say the Lupo GTI is a Classic and that came out a lot less than 50 years ago.

Whatever the case, do we keep our car for many years until it becomes a classic and then what? Carry on owning it, sell it and buy something else, or more than likely we will have popped off by then and someone else gets the benefit.

I hope i have cheered you all up. If i can spread a little happiness as i walk along the way.......

·
Super Moderator
1,523 Posts
Its my feeling VW wont facelift the car but may make it a bit longer. Until it stops being popular, economies of scale etc. And also the pressure of going electric.
The up has one, possibly two, years left in it before it is replaced by an all electric city car based on the ID platform.

Its already almost 10 years old which is unheard of in terms of model release periods.

·
Registered
360 Posts
There is a feature in Autocar and Auto Express this week on the ID Life small EV which looks good and they say a hot GTX model will come out as well.

Not for a few years though so plenty of time to save up your pocket money.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I wonder how many will buy a petrol or diesel car after say 2025 ? I think folk won’t want to be investing they’re own money into a vehicle that will seemingly be out of date in 5 years which is no age for a car these days….

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Especially not for expensive cars, anyway!
The beauty of Up!s (etc) is that they are lots of fun, economy and practically for, basically, down-the-back-of-the-sofa money. (comparatively).

·
Registered
360 Posts
The other side of the argument is plenty of people who do not want an electric car (ev) will buy a NEW petrol/diesel (ice) car while they still can. I know you will still be able to buy used ice cars but not everyone wants to buy used.

I was thinking of buying a new Aygo in 2029 just before 2030 when you can only buy new EVs and keeping it as my last car.

Then again ice cars could be worth a lot more as the years pass with those who do not want EVs and what about the Classic Car status of the UP GTI that we talk about on here. The car could be worth "loads of money"

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Even if some of us have ICE cars well into the future, they will be hobby interests, and we probably won't be allowed to drive them in towns, as they will be banned.... But then again, I hate doing that already!

·
Registered
380 Posts
I think there will be added complications by 2030.

I believe the Government will tax fuel more heavily to encourage people to go electric under the banner of an eco or carbon tax, also further taxation might recoup some of the fuel tax revenue lost to those going electric.
Fuel will itself become more expensive to produce as less people use it, at present mass production keeps the cost relatively low before tax.

Of course on the flip side the roll out of charging points will in no way meet the uptake of electric vehicles and will fall massively short. Queues at charging points similar to those you see in California for Tesla Superchargers.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Watch out for "taxing by the mile" for electric cars....

It will all be about trying to charge ordinary people who will have modest, economical electric cars, the same as those who will run monster SUVs - i.e. it'll be entireley regressive by lightening the burden on those who consume the most at the expense of those wanting a smaller footprint....

The thing about petrol, is that you pay more to drive a car with poor MPG the same distance, as a car with good MPG, which seems fair to me.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Watch out for "taxing by the mile" for electric cars....

It will all be about trying to charge ordinary people who will have modest, economical electric cars, the same as those who will run monster SUVs - i.e. it'll be entireley regressive by lightening the burden on those who consume the most at the expense of those wanting a smaller footprint....

The thing about petrol, is that you pay more to drive a car with poor MPG the same distance, as a car with good MPG, which seems fair to me.
If the vets bills weren’t so steep I’d get a horse but I’m sure if enough people did that they’d tax that mode of transportation as well.

edit: posted a couple of links pertaining to the last few posts in Off Topic.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I am sure once you can only buy new EVs they will end free road tax for them.

Also road tax for ICE cars used to be good. Different bands depending on how much rubbish the engine churned out.
Then in April 2017 they made a standard rate which goes up every year. Currently £155.

How can it be fair that a car like the UP pays the same as much bigger cars with bigger engines. It is only if the car costs more than £40 000 new that road tax costs more.

I am sure petrol and diesel will be available for many years. Look how many ICE trucks and buses are on the road. They will not be changed for EVs instantly. Also Classic Cars will always need petrol and that could include the UP GTI.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts