Up Owners Club banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
If the vets bills weren’t so steep I’d get a horse but I’m sure if enough people did that they’d tax that mode of transportation as well.

edit: posted a couple of links pertaining to the last few posts in Off Topic.

Will the sale of new ICE motorbikes also be band from 2030? There are not many EV motorbikes out at the moment.

That could be a good idea to buy a motorbike or a moped. Much less cost than a horse. Just horse power.

I will have to get my old crash helmet out again. Only problem is fitting my weekly supermarket shop on a bike.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I am sure once you can only buy new EVs they will end free road tax for them.

Also road tax for ICE cars used to be good. Different bands depending on how much rubbish the engine churned out.
Then in April 2017 they made a standard rate which goes up every year. Currently £155.

How can it be fair that a car like the UP pays the same as much bigger cars with bigger engines. It is only if the car costs more than £40 000 new that road tax costs more.

I am sure petrol and diesel will be available for many years. Look how many ICE trucks and buses are on the road. They will not be changed for EVs instantly. Also Classic Cars will always need petrol and that could include the UP GTI.
Yes, present road fund license offers no incentive to buy/own a small low emission vehicle which just happens to be economical and cheap to run. Does not offer a cheap cost effective bottom rung unless you buy an expensive EV and as such seems rather broken favouring those with money and penalising those without.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Will the sale of new ICE motorbikes also be band from 2030? There are not many EV motorbikes out at the moment.

That could be a good idea to buy a motorbike or a moped. Much less cost than a horse. Just horse power.

I will have to get my old crash helmet out again. Only problem is fitting my weekly supermarket shop on a bike.
Yes, and nowadays you need to carry a lock heavier than the bike to stop it getting nicked.

I’d buy a Boosted Board to get around on, however they aren’t legal in the U.K. as such and there isn’t much local infrastructure (cycle paths) leading to the places I’d want to use it to access.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yes, and nowadays you need to carry a lock heavier than the bike to stop it getting nicked.

I’d buy a Boosted Board to get around on, however they aren’t legal in the U.K. as such and there isn’t much local infrastructure (cycle paths) leading to the places I’d want to use it to access.

I dont understand these e scooters. Having to stand on them with no protection. How can that be comfortable?

At least with a cycle or motorbike you are sat down, but still no protection from the rain. You cant beat the comfort of a car.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I dont understand these e scooters. Having to stand on them with no protection. How can that be comfortable?

At least with a cycle or motorbike you are sat down, but still no protection from the rain. You cant beat the comfort of a car.
I think the safety element of an electric scooter is not going that fast so that you can step off if you need to do so. Those Boosted ones have better larger wheels/tyres but many have narrower harder wheels which can come to an abrupt halt very quickly and as you are standing up there’s nowhere to go but on the ground. I can see why there’s so many accidents.

·
Registered
398 Posts

In answer to your motorbike question The combustion ban: What happens to motorcycles post 2030?

·
Registered
398 Posts

Thanks for that. Perhaps i could be interested in a 50cc scooter/moped just for local runs pottering about just for fun. At least they are automatic Twist and Go and you can sit down, but of course no protection from the elements or other drivers.

Also where would i put my weekly shop on a bike, 4 to 6 bags? Yes i am a big eater. I will stick with my car thanks.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Watch out for "taxing by the mile" for electric cars....

It will all be about trying to charge ordinary people who will have modest, economical electric cars, the same as those who will run monster SUVs - i.e. it'll be entireley regressive by lightening the burden on those who consume the most at the expense of those wanting a smaller footprint....

The thing about petrol, is that you pay more to drive a car with poor MPG the same distance, as a car with good MPG, which seems fair to me.
The thing about taxing under a specific banner or heading is in order to charge for a product or the use of is that it has to be Fit for purpose. Our roads are definitely not fit for purpose …

·
Registered
718 Posts
I bought my MK1 Golf GTI when it was nearly new, it wasn't a classic then but 34 years on I still have it, think I am too old to do that with an UP! now:D
I ENVY you. I had several MK2 GTi's, one was mint and I spent loads on it adding factory extras that were missing from it, such as electric mirrors, electric windows and a few others. I kick myself for sellling it in 1997, but even then I made a significant profit on its sale.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I ENVY you. I had several MK2 GTi's, one was mint and I spent loads on it adding factory extras that were missing from it, such as electric mirrors, electric windows and a few others. I kick myself for sellling it in 1997, but even then I made a significant profit on its sale.
I did the same to my Mk2 8v GTI. Had the seats recovered in connolly hide, full windows out respray in Tornado red, PAS and upgraded the suspension. And on and on........ :rolleyes:

·
Registered
424 Posts
The roads are fine in most places I ever go... There just needs to be way fewer idiots driving about, clogging them up!
The roads in rural Herefordshire and Worcestershire are far from fine. Dire is not exaggerating they are awful.
I used to ride motorcycles on these roads and again it’s no exagerto say it would be dangerous riding on the roads now it really would.
Though we get traffic if going into either Worcester or Hereford the roads out here are quiet. We live about 3 miles from the Shelsley Walsh hill climb at the very top of the Teme Valley. Stunning location and awesome quiet roads but you have to monitor the road surface constantly for pot holes old and new. 👍👍

·
Registered
398 Posts
The roads in rural Herefordshire and Worcestershire are far from fine. Dire is not exaggerating they are awful.
I used to ride motorcycles on these roads and again it’s no exagerto say it would be dangerous riding on the roads now it really would.
Though we get traffic if going into either Worcester or Hereford the roads out here are quiet. We live about 3 miles from the Shelsley Walsh hill climb at the very top of the Teme Valley. Stunning location and awesome quiet roads but you have to monitor the road surface constantly for pot holes old and new. 👍👍

Yes not only pot holes that never get filled in for months, but also sunken manhole/inspection covers.

Years ago they were all flush fitting, so i do not understand why these days they are sunken. They are no different from pot holes as you constantly try to avoid them or get a jolt as you bang into them if you do not notice them in time.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts