Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! Should be picking up my new up! this Friday. I'm very excited, especially since this is my first brand new car purchase. (also my first VW)

I took advantage of the screaming deal VW is currently offering in Oz. I ordered a white 5 door optioned with 'Maps and More' and a few little extras for a touch over $14,600 driveway. Feels like thebargainof the century!

I've been a big fan of the up! since it launched here. I love the way it looks and how it feels on the road. Not many cars have left this kind of impression on me, so itdidn'ttake long to seal a deal. ha

I'll have to let you guys know how this weekend goes.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Exciting times! You'll love the car, it really is one of the best I have driven - it is just such fun.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I've been having a blast over the weekend. She's covered over 650 kms already! It's spent a lot of time on the windy roads in the Dandenong Ranges. I thought I'd post a pick from when I picked it up from the dealer onFriday.

I think what I'm pleased with the most is the level of maturity and all-roundcompetence the up has for such a small city orientated car. From the drivers seat the interior never seems small or cramped, and the ergonomics are great. The three pot motor has boatloads of character and more than enough guts for most driving situations I've encountered so far.(Extra weight and steep high speed grades do take its toll, but I did expect that. haha) So much fun to drive and shift through the gears as well.

Also, I had my first fill-up today. I achieved 661 kms from a full tank (m&m indicated 30 kms range left). 5.3 litres/100 kms on average was the result. I'm extremely impressed! My weekly fuel bill has instantly been cut in half compared to my last car

Edited by: up_take87

·
Registered
811 Posts
Looking good! I'm sure that the Up will continue to impress. The thought of driving through the Dandenong Ranges is very appealing to me at the moment, where I live in England it is knee deep in snow and there is more falling out of the sky at the moment.

At least the Up is unstoppable in the snow, I guess you don't need that capability at the moment Down Under.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! It's actually really great that you've mentioned how well the up performs in snow. We actually do get snow on a few of the peaks around here (Lake Mountain and Mt Baw Baw) It's still quite a few months off though. I plan onsnowboardingthis winter, so I've been very curious about how the up handles the white stuff.

I had to adapt to winter driving when I was living in America a few years ago. At the time I was driving an 89' mustang 5.0 convertible. Great car in the summer, but very scary in the snow! No traction from the fat rear tires and the light rear end.

I would imagine with the up's front wheel drive and skinny tires it would be a vast improvement.

·
Registered
811 Posts
You're right, the skinny tyres just dig in and away it goes. There is a lot of talk on here about winter tyres but I just doesn't need them in my opinion.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what I was thinking. I never put winter tyres on my mustang and I managed to survive. haha. What about tyre chains? Are they seldom used for winter driving in England?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts