Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys picked up our new 5 Dr move up yesterday and just lovin it
We were lucky enough to be able to afford to purchase it outright without finance and we are of a certain age we are anxious to protect our investment and whilst at the dealership we were introduced to the business manager who talked us into taking their ggap insurance at a "reduced" cost of 350pnds.!! After arriving homeland no longer feeling pressurrised I went on line and found out I could get this cover for less than a third of what I paid.
The guy mentioned that we had an option to cance wIthInn 14daydidn't say if there would be a cost though.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Take a look at this thread for some more options.

http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/discount-on-gap-insurance_topic1381.html

Nick

·
Registered
525 Posts
Also bear in mind that quite a few insurance companies will give you a new car if you write yours off in the first year or even two through your ordinary insurance policy. I got mine from the AA who do it for the first year. Saga and others offer two. Like you I bought my car for cash and had a hard time refusing all the finance, insurance, life shine (£15 on EBay) etc, and felt they didn't really give me much of a service once they realised they wouldn't make a lot of money out of me. They even tried to persuade me that taking the finance would be 'a better deal' than paying cash!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I already get the first year gap on my main insurance.I've had quotes for around 100pds for 3 yrs back to invoice which seems a better deal.got to remember that the projected residual is quite. high so I suppose it comes down to wether you. Prepared to take the risk. Will check out other threads later thanks

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Hey, im glad im reading this now so when times right to pick my little beauty up ill be prepared! I hate it when i go in shops and the sales assistance just presurize you to buy the insurance or extras that arnt needed!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Fret not, all insurance has a 14day cooldown period where you have the option to change your mind, and there is no cost to cancelling it.

Contact the dealer/insurance company. State your still within your 14 day cooling of period (if thats still the case) - cancel the GAP insurance. They will have no choice but to give you a full refund. Then you can go online and buy some other gap insurance for £90 or so.

Var

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes AlA have contacted me quoting 79 .00 for exactly the same cover ie back to invoice. Spoken to business manager at dealership who sounded like he expected me to cancel ! Got some cash to spend on sill protection cover now. the vw ones are expensive for the five door at 155.00 and they don't seem to be on. ebay yet anyone know of a source thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
try lockwood for sill covers...very high quality and reasonable price

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I signed up for GAP Insurance at £250 with the dealer. Came home did my research, asked questions on here and cancelled the insurance before collecting the car. No problems, no charge. Like others have said, you have a 14 day cooling off period

1 - 9 of 9 Posts