Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone took out the gap insurance from vw or have you used some one else if so how much was it andwho did you use

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
What exactly is gap insurance?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Vw don't do gap insurance they contract it put to a company called Abraxus.

They pay any difference between the insurance valuation in event of a claim and by and large the invoice price

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yep we took it out mainly cos my son who is 18 is learning to drive in our up! And will probably use it once he has passed his test and God forbid anything happened it seems like a sensible precaution.. Our dealer reduced our gap payment to £329 over 3 yes. Seemed fair enough

I never have done gap before but because of a few more what ifs and we have bought our up on a PCP we decided to go for it

It's up to how you feel about those things

Nigel

·
Registered
46 Posts
My dealer quoted £399 at first which I though was dear so I didn't commit and said I would check it out and come back on it.I did some research online and it seems a worthwhile investment, just notat the price quoted. A lot of people on Moneysavingsexpert.com recomended Gap Insurance from Ala.co.uk who offered the same 3 year cover with matching or even improved features for a fraction of the price - £90.
Armed with the info I went to the dealer and he did his best to pick holes in it butin the end I said if he would halve his price to £200 I would keep itall in house - including VW insurance which was the best quote I had to date. He went with the £200.

·
Registered
421 Posts
It won't be with VW as they stopped doing gap in 2010 it will be with a company called Abraxus would have no association with VW at all.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Our dealer wanted £399 and was through Black Horse but I had alreadychecked out ala so didnt go with vw. My insurance replaces car & extra packs if damage value is a certain percent.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The dealer I'm using has Gap through AMS Asset Secure, don't know if that's Abraxus. When I said keeping in house I guess I meant dealer organised.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ala was just over £100 for 3 years.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Remember the PPI scandal ? This is the latest version of the same scam.

These guys peddle FUD - Fear, uncertainty and doubt.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I still don't understand what it is...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Basically if you crash yr UP! on the first day for instance and it cost you say £10,000, because you've driven off the forecourt it's then classed as used so yr normal insurance would cover it's used value- say £6,000 for arguments sake. So suddenly you've only got £6,000 to buy a £10,000 new car! CRISIS! so somebody invented gap insurance which means for £399 for 3yrs you fill that gap/shortfall in cost. So in this example you would claim on your normal insurance and get £6,000 then claim on the gap insurance and get £4,000 to fill the gap! Ta daaa brand new UP!
fingerscrossed we never need either!
Hope this helps

·
Registered
277 Posts
Looking at the ala.co.uk site even the Return to invoice product (which is better than GAP,as it covers the shortfall between the insurance and the cost of a brand new up) is only £137 for 3 years vs £399 the dealer wants to charge me for it.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
mogwai said:
Looking at the ala.co.uk site even the Return to invoice product (which is better than GAP,as it covers the shortfall between the insurance and the cost of a brand new up) is only £137 for 3 years vs £399 the dealer wants to charge me for it.
I'm glad I skipped the gap insurance. When I bought mine, I was told the FSA required them to speak to me, and they then did the sales spiel for gap insurance etc. Mmmm. Mind you, the fact that there is a shortfall sounds like a scam. Surely insurance should put you in the position you were in before the accident.

·
Registered
63 Posts
siannyd said:
Basically if you crash yr UP! on the first day for instance and it cost you say £10,000, because you've driven off the forecourt it's then classed as used so yr normal insurance would cover it's used value- say £6,000 for arguments sake. So suddenly you've only got £6,000 to buy a £10,000 new car! CRISIS! so somebody invented gap insurance which means for £399 for 3yrs you fill that gap/shortfall in cost. So in this example you would claim on your normal insurance and get £6,000 then claim on the gap insurance and get £4,000 to fill the gap! Ta daaa brand new UP!
fingerscrossed we never need either!
Hope this helps
But my insurance, in common with many other policies, provides an identical replacement new car in the first year, so what is the point in GAP insurance ?

·
Registered
421 Posts
siannyd said:
£399 don't know if I'll take it yet
I wouldn't at that price, if it was all inhouse with VW Insurance running the whole thing it'd be fine but they're justa broker and finding the same deals we are and charging a standard 400 quid

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Thanks for the heads up.. I had not heard of it before...

·
Registered
421 Posts
RDA said:
Remember the PPI scandal ? This is the latest version of the same scam.

These guys peddle FUD - Fear, uncertainty and doubt.
Doesn't all insurance work like that in a way. I wouldn't be happy if my insurance company gave me 6K for my 2 year old car and I'd have to buy a Kia Picanto!!

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
i got offered £350 for it, and im sure all the info says thru vw not an external broker. got told i can change my mind at any time up until i get the car...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts