Up Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ordered new Hi Up which I am collecting next week. The dealer is trying to sell Gardx treatment for £490. My gut instinct is not to bother. Is my instinct right or is there anybody out there has had it and is pleased with it?. The dealer also tried to sell me gap insurance for £495, I managed to find the same thing online for £74.

·
Registered
957 Posts
It's only a wax....do it yourself and save cash !

·
Registered
18 Posts
My Up came with the treatment ( stickers to prove it) . Dealer was anxious to point it out. Apparently the seats are treated as well. I had no idea it was so expensive though.

Although the more I think of it I reckon my car was prepared for someone else that may have pulled out of the deal at the last minute.

Edited by: aob9

·
Registered
27 Posts
They're absolutely robbing you with the gap insurance! Mines was 199 from arnold clark, and I work for macklin motors ford at the moment though we charge 399 for 3 years.. We also sell diamondbrite which covers both the exterior and interior yet its only 199... They're taking you for a rideeeee

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Lifeshine (£299) easily obtainable from ebay for around £10 / kit.......I know, I did!

Dead easy to do it yourself.....wax on, wax off....as they say!

Edited by: Privatedoc

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think the ebay lifeshine kits are just the maintenance kits to keep the shine, what you pay for is the 'permanent' wax treatment, these are supplied with the treatment.
I have seen a few cars with Lifeshine applied, it's a decent job but personally I did not opt for it, or the gardex, I applied some G Techniq I1 Smart Fabric on the seats and will be putting some wax on it this weekend.

If you can be bothered to spend a morning on it, put some carnuba wax on it (I am a 'Dodo juice' fan), it will last month's and look superb.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
No, the ebay stuff is the garage treatment pack, for supply and application before handover. (or mine was anyway)

My car is currently MANKY , I will need to give it its summer wax soon.....I use a mains electric polisher and zymol (that I bought in the heady days of flash car ownership!) , I also use the autoglym hard wax.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I opted for Lifeshine because I am a bit lazy about car cleaning. Eighteen months on and having the car washed every five or six weeks using one of those hand wash centres the rain water still beads and runs off the bodywork. I also know that the seats and carpets have also been treated against staining.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had a Quartz coating applied to the paint and windows after collecting the car by a detailing company. They machine polished any scratches on the paint work and applied the coating, Cost £150 and should last 18 months.

Maybe worth checking with a local detailing company for a price.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Must say I'm a real sucker for these treatments. Had a mix of Lifeshine and Diamond Bright on last 3 new cars and been really happy with the results. Always use it as a final deal clincher to close the sale with the dealer. Sales reps get high commission on these packages so you can easily negotiate against it. I've never paid much more than £150 for it.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
My machine polisher was 18 squid in Costco.....well worth it!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Is Costco open to the general public ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi I work for a vw dealership in valeting. In the past I hav used gardex and autosmart and lifeshine I would not go for gardex buy a lifeshine kit or buy a good polish.my new groove
I pick up 3 weeks ago just got a good polish hope this wil help jim

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Derkie54 said:
Is Costco open to the general public ?

yes, its a membership type thing, £25 for a year then you can go as often as you like....some stuff is great value but you need to be wary....lots of american brands and stuff you generally can't get here.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
ps, amazon have basic electric polishers from around 20 quid....cheap but sure do save the elbow grease !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts